Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

So much dead air today. What the hell is going on???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

It's an actual joke at this stage. Have they got interns producing, or running the sound desk? Imagine prospective advertisers with TX FM? They'd surely want nothing to do with them.

I'm gone to Today FM, don't think Denis is giving the TXFM crowd enough change for the meter.

I'll check in again for Cathal tomorrow but it happens again, I change again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Again, I thought it was just me having issues, but I really should know better if this thread is anything to go by. Off to Spotify for the rest of the day, methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Can we start a pool on where the closure of TXFM will be announced? I reckon February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Vojera wrote: »
    Again, I thought it was just me having issues, but I really should know better if this thread is anything to go by. Off to Spotify for the rest of the day, methinks!

I just turned it on there and Joe was in the middle of talking to Claire. Ten seconds in, the air went dead for a few seconds. Jayziz.

And again there now! 'Tickets are on-'

I emailed them about it a few weeks ago and got a mail back several days later (we're talking about five days) saying thanks for the feedback, but obviously nothing has changed.

Update: It also went dead three times during 'Eloise', which they've just played. Seriously, someone sort this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

Can we start a pool on where the closure of TXFM will be announced? I reckon February

Don't they have 2 years to fill? I gather from this thread that the dead air is getting worse. Also, I reckon all the advertisers are paying for Today & getting "bonus" ads on TX but this is just speculation formed from listening to both. Opinion not fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

It really is especially bad today. Really annoying to listen to when it's so frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Claire has just addressed the drop in transmission there...she said they're working on getting it fixed as fast as possible. That's the first time I've ever heard it addressed, but as previously mentioned, it's particularly bad today.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

They apologised on Twitter an hour ago or so but it's really not good to have that much dead air. I was in the car for 25 minutes over lunch there and I'd say heard a total of about 1min of music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

are they still in the same studios up on the top floor?
    don't recall any dead air when it was Phantom...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the only reason i can figure out for it still being on-air is that DO'B gets some sort of tax break for keeping it going.
    either that or Joe has some compromising photos of him....

the only reason i can figure out for it still being on-air is that DO'B gets some sort of tax break for keeping it going.
    either that or Joe has some compromising photos of him....

This MUST be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Closing it now would reflect badly on Communicorp with future licence renewals (including Spin SW relatively soon in the scheme of things). He's made his bed and needs to lie in it.

Not going for renewal and assuming nobody else looks for it either, resulting in a minutely smaller marketplace is more likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

MYOB wrote: »
    Closing it now would reflect badly on Communicorp with future licence renewals (including Spin SW relatively soon in the scheme of things). He's made his bed and needs to lie in it.

Not going for renewal and assuming nobody else looks for it either, resulting in a minutely smaller marketplace is more likely.

Bit of a conspiracy theory here but what if TX was allowed to go bust, the licence holder could argue that, well, we tried our best but an indie rock station just isn't viable and can you change my licence to a standard pop station please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

Bit of a conspiracy theory here but what if TX was allowed to go bust, the licence holder could argue that, well, we tried our best but an indie rock station just isn't viable and can you change my licence to a standard pop station please?

Help me out here.

Wouldn't that be a double relicensing as Phantom was relicensed from the failed 'alternative' market to the much broader flaps fest of "everyone likes music", behind the times heavy playlisting and familiar countdowns, that's really just the weaker side of Phantom,
    with even more watered down, predictable shows?

Asking for a friend.

Even the transmitter is tired of this sh1t, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The other four stations with general-ish licences would take legal action in a heartbeat

Wouldn't mind 8radio taking over at all.

I'm actually just listening to Live Drive Dublin City FM in the mornings and drive home now. Top quality tunes and the presenters play the songs they like.

I'm actually just listening to Live Drive Dublin City FM in the mornings and drive home now. Top quality tunes and the presenters play the songs they like.

DCFM isn't playlisted. It's just a community station, and has a very small commercial end. TX FM is constrained by the man, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

but .. the repetitive traffic updates after every tune is an absolute pain to listen to.

• Advertisement

Surely it's no worse than Claire "everything is beautiful as I have a little dance around the studio" Beck?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

actually just listening to Live Drive Dublin City FM in the mornings and drive home now. Top quality tunes and the presenters play the songs they like.
    I love Pam in the mornings. She comes out with some gems. This morning after an ad for the weekly astronomy show she said "Keep watching the skeeeeees!". She makes me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Joe discussed a Paul McCartney q & a with Claire on the always insightful music news (the daily headlines on NME), yesterday.

He then discussed said q & a and made a yawn noise because it was promo for Wings reissues.

I'm sorry, Joe, but the over-played tripe on TXFM would make the majority of its listeners yawn, and I personally would rather listen to Wings.

He also put up a blog about new music he's listening to, as if he's Nialler9 or something, and doesn't have the sense to actually play this new music instead of wanging on about how great Future Islands are and plays Seasons once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Funny that, whenever i hear any Beatles track, it makes me yawn........

Watch it Max! :D

Yeah, the 'News' is just cobbled from the NME and Pitchfork.

Funny that, whenever i hear any Beatles track, it makes me yawn........

Most children still need naps. Don't worry, when you grow up you'll be able to stay awake all day and you'll learn to appreciate good music

:pac:

Most children still need naps. Don't worry, when you grow up you'll be able to stay awake all day and you'll learn to appreciate good music

:pac:

:D

:D

Ah now, you lost me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Claire is back, and every goddamn song is 'gorgeous'. EVERY bloody song. I like her, she seems like a harmless inoffensive kinda person. However she needs some new adjectives in her vocabulary.
    Also, I have noticed a serious increase in Beatles music, it makes me yawn too. Never been a fan.
    As for Joe and his reading out requests yet playing a song thats the polar opposite... Bah!!!

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    Ah now, you lost me there.

Ah dont worry i'll send old Shep around to round all ye Beatle fans up....bahhhhh..:p

Advertisement