Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

For me its the FF's....something for nothing......aghhhhhhhhh:mad:

I adore that song - as in, it's one of my favourite tracks of the year - but even I said to myself today, Jaysis they're going heavy on that song!!

Bloody hell - as I typed this, it came on!!!!! Point proved, Max Headroom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Twizzler wrote: »
    I adore that song - as in, it's one of my favourite tracks of the year - but even I said to myself today, Jaysis they're going heavy on that song!!

Bloody hell - as I typed this, it came on!!!!! Point proved, Max Headroom :D

It's a bloody awful song ; p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

So can we all agree that Joe's show has massively improved since the start of TXFM?

They seem to have put more decent songs into the playlist too. Even the newer stuff they isn't just Hozier and Hozier clones now

So can we all agree that Joe's show has massively improved since the start of TXFM?

They seem to have put more decent songs into the playlist too. Even the newer stuff they isn't just Hozier and Hozier clones now

Well, I certainly think so re Joe's show. I find it a good laugh as well as liking the fact that he throws in a lot of good random songs here and there. He's much more relaxed in the slot now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I knew you'd come around...:D

Go Joe..........like to see him in the Jungle next...Nadia who.???....:p

• Advertisement

Joe is a no-show today. Didn't catch the start of the show - just tuned in and heard Paul - but I hope he hasn't done a Ray D'Arcy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

no, Joe's show seems as sh1te as always.
    i only listen to him about 1hr a week, so I can only assume people who like him are listening every day and have developed some sort of Stockholm syndrome.

i only listen to him about 1hr a week, QUOTE]

a poxy hour a week.....harsh when you consider half of that hour is adverts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Future Islands - 'Seasons' an expected winner for that 105 songs poll? I thought Caribou would have walked away with it.

I wish they got another presenter to present the last hour or two, Paul Donegan/Eoin McLove was way too enthusiastic about the whole thing!
    To quote the LCD Soundsystem film, "Shut Up and Play the Hits!".

Paul didn't bother me and neither did his enthusiasm - at least he sounded like he was enjoying it all - but I thought the end of it was a bit rushed. It was mentioned several times both by Paul and John that they'd be there for as long as it took to finish the countdown. Then it seemed imperative to get it all done by 7 bells, which meant talking over the end of Figure It Out (a key part of the song, IMO - you don't talk over it). And the enthusiasm seemed to have been all used up by the time we got to number 1, probably due to the rushing to get it finished - it was like 'This guy can dance - here's the song - bye.' Also, at the risk of sounding picky, why is the f word bleeped out on Wild Beasts - Wanderlust, but not on Chvrches - We Sink or The Foo Fighters - Something From Nothing? The line 'Don't confuse me with someone who gives a (bleeped out word)' kinda loses its message somewhat....I'm assuming it's relating to the frequency of the word in the song (5 times), but still, it's pretty easy to make it out in the other two songs, and it's in the FF song twice. That's my pedantic rant for the day done!

• Advertisement

Claire playing some decent tunes today. Bowie, Modest Mouse, Echo and the Bunnymen, not very playlisty

That Dead Air song by Chvches though :mad:

Claire playing some decent tunes today. Bowie, Modest Mouse, Echo and the Bunnymen, not very playlisty

That Dead Air song by Chvches though :mad:

I think this sandwich hour of requests is working out very well so far....some good suggestions have come in since she started it!

I think this sandwich hour of requests is working out very well so far....some good suggestions have come in since she started it!

Agreed...i hope they take this on board that its what THEIR listeners want to hear and not what the PD tells them to play..

I do find it funny how many of the 'requests' are already on the playlist...

i only listen to him about 1hr a week, so I can only assume people who like him are listening every day and have developed some sort of Stockholm syndrome.

Listening to him there and there's just so much pushing of the 'brand' it seems very desperate altogether, constantly going out about getting in touch with him, the features of the show, text number, Twitter. Find it a bit nauseating myself.

Yeah, but it's markedly better than HDKP and the "bogger shíte"

To be honest, not too upset about the brand pushing show features. It's pretty much in line with what you'll hear on other commercial stations.

The pirate days are officially gone, it's not the station that used to broadcast death metal from someones shed. As much as I'd love that back, I understand that they (a) have to make money and (b) play by the stupid BAI rules :mad:

Incidentally, whats going on with Cathal Funge? Assumed he was just off for Christmas.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I do find it funny how many of the 'requests' are already on the playlist...

I tuned in at about 1:35 yesterday and heard 3 heavily playlisted songs...wasn't happy. I also texted in looking for a song one of the days and I assume C didn't have it, because she played another song by the same band without referencing that a different song had been requested, but the song she played is one I'd consider a secondary playlist one - it was out a few years ago but it can be heard on the station quite often. This is not a 'She didn't play my song!!!' message btw - I'm just relaying the info, not moaning about not having my song played. But where I was going with this is that I wonder if a) the selection she has isn't all that wide when she has to substitute songs like that (which strikes me as a bit odd - surely the selection must be good?), or b) maybe there are concerns re profanities if she doesn't know the lyrics offhand - although it's pretty easy to find lyrics online, so that probably doesn't wash either. And as I mentioned before in another post, the f word doesn't seem to be an issue in 'Something for Nothing' or 'We Sink.'

Bottom line - they should make this a completely non-playlisted hour if this is to work to best effect, IMO. If you request something on the heavy rotation playlist, forget it! I don't know why anyone would bother requesting something that they're guaranteed to hear pretty soon anyway.

Re the other point about the constant talk about Twitter etc., yes, I wish they'd let more of their personalities come across and stop repeating '51052', 'tweet us on', etc. every single time they speak. Repetition really is a problem in the station in general. Seems to be going on a lot in radio at the mo though. I saw people on another thread giving out about Alison Curtis constantly mentioning the text number and her Twitter username.

I was listening to Paul this morning in Cathal's slot and was pleasantly surprised at his choices of songs...there were a few gems in there between the playlisted stuff.

Incidentally, whats going on with Cathal Funge? Assumed he was just off for Christmas.

Paul said this morning that Cathal was off on hols sunning himself. I assume he's back on Monday.

To be honest, not too upset about the brand pushing show features. It's pretty much in line with what you'll hear on other commercial stations.

It's probably not all that noticeable or annoying for people who just check in and out occasionally. I'd be 90% a TXFM listener and for the other 10% of time I don't notice it at all on the stations I flick in and out of, but I assume it's the same story with them all.

Maybe its because Joe does so much talking that you are actually listening more , i overlook it as he generally plays better music than the others.(daytime) ....imo Nova is far worse...

• Advertisement

Do Nova actually have presenters other than Harvey Norman? He always seems to be on every time I switch over, even doing the ads!

They're really making Paul D work hard on the covering front these days...he's covering for John on Revolver tonight. He must have covered for every other DJ on it for the past few weeks! He definitely seems to be the most frequent cover person. Orlagh only does the odd cover here and there.

I'm really enjoying Kieran McGuinness's show The Set List, tonight and in general. Ironic that the regular presenters' tunes are more of a set list than the ones on this show. Loads of variety in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

They're really making Paul D work hard on the covering front these days...he's covering for John on Revolver tonight. He must have covered for every other DJ on it for the past few weeks! He definitely seems to be the most frequent cover person. Orlagh only does the odd cover here and there.

Be glad the powers that be didn't have Anton Savage doing all the covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Can I have a rant about how awful an interviewer Nadine O'Regan is? Songs in the Key of Life is a fantastic show but she puts me off listening to it. When John Cadell does the show its so much easier to listen to

marwelie wrote: »
    Can I have a rant about how awful an interviewer Nadine O'Regan is? Songs in the Key of Life is a fantastic show but she puts me off listening to it. When John Cadell does the show its so much easier to listen to

Always makes me think of a 10 year old school girl doing a class project....she always sounds so nervous..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

John Cadell does songs in the key of life now? Why didn't I already know about this?!

Regan mentions her own name at least 40 times a show. Granted, I've enjoyed interviews she's done (Eamon Dunphy springs to mind), but her interviews with others have been awful. Alan McGee springs to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

I do like how Nadine pronounces her name; "with me Nahhhhhh-deeen O'Regan".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

John Cadell does songs in the key of life now?

Unfortunately not. She was on holidays, but hes done it at least twice recently.

• Advertisement

John Caddell should be on 12 hours a day, maybe 8 a day on the weekend :)

Advertisement