Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

adamski8 wrote: »
    You have to wonder why they have to pay presenters/pproduction/researcherd etc for their manure talk. Just hire 1 person to set up a playlist and someone to sort the advertising and bam a good cost effective station

Not a snowballs chance in hell the BAI would allow that, and for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Listened this morning on the way into work. Was fairly unconvinced by the playlist tbh - Bastille followed by Florence and the Machine made me flick over for a bit. I miss Charlotte's voice cheering me up on Monday mornings. And as for Joe on the Drive time slot, I'll be f*cked if I'm listening to that mercenary play whatever he thinks is cool on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

First song was a bit underwhelming. Heard it a few times during the week anyway,

Primal Scream - movin on up

Listeners' choice apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Joe Donnelly or John Kelly (Lyric) in the afternoons? Now that is an easy choice to make. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Has anyone got a recording or upload of the launch? I missed it because of a meeting m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Jason_

First song was a bit underwhelming. Heard it a few times during the week anyway,

Primal Scream - movin on up
    The other Movin on up by M-people was Today FM's first song.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Threads merged

Splinter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Splinter wrote: »
    Threads merged

Splinter

Now there's genuine irony in capsule form. Take note Alanis Morrissette...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Peter Visibility

Somebody phone Prince: THIS is what it sounds like when doves cry. Think I read the head of Today FM saying that TXFM would play alternative music with a broader appeal. Alternative music with a broader appeal is mainstream music. Like Kings Of Leon. Or Coldplay. I find it hard to see how they're going to shake the fact that latter day Phantom and TXFM sound like a fat corporate bastard trying to be "down with the kids'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,095 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've been living under a rock for the last month and had no idea about the restructuring at Phantom. Tbh things started to go downhill when they axed the 2 hour afternoon slot with Muireann O'Connell. Will fondly remember the breakfast show with Richie. Michelle and Charlotte. It's also a travesty that the two Richie's are no longer on air. That was a great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I can't get a proper signal on 105.2 or close by here in Rathmines

To be honest, that would not have been affected by today's changeover.

Nothing really changed in terms of transmission, except for the RDS name change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I never listened to Phantom before. I'll check my car later and see if it's better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Switched it on this morning.

The breakfast show is better (same mainstream/current indie chart music, less bantz)
    Everything else is worse (mainstream/current indie chart music all day)

Then I got TXFM News, sponsored by that bank who drove a man to kill himself, then chased his grieving widow for money

Coolness rating: Dad dancing at a wedding reception

See you later TXFM, it looks like it's internet radio from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

MMM.....Its just like listening to Phantom.....same tired old playlist...dont mind the line up....but come-on lads theres plenty of good indie tunes out there..its almost like nova, theyre afraid to play something that joe might'nt have heard...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Synode wrote: »
    I never listened to Phantom before. I'll check my car later and see if it's better

How will you know if it's better if you never listened before!?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well I'd actually forgotten all about the death of Phantom, was coming home from town and decided to switch it on. Not only was the first thing I heard the voice of Joe Donnelly but he then played Noel Gallagher and promised that Red Hot Chilli Peppers were up next.

Don't think I'll be bothering with TXFM during the daytime at all, especially if Joe Donnelly gets four hours a day. I honestly think he's the worst DJ I've ever heard on professional radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I honestly think he's the worst DJ I've ever heard on professional radio.

..Have you not heard Marty Miller or Pat Courtney on Nova........like an annoying noise in yer car ye cant find.........:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yeah was interested to see who was on the drive slot, I switched off back when Ritchey was replaced with the annoying one from spin. Not a chance in hell I 'll listen with Donnelly doing it, he must have been cheap for today fm to keep him, can't thimk why else he'd be kept after they decimated the morning listenership.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Oh dear! How to not to digitally relaunch a radio station

http://www.mediauk.com/article/34485/how-not-to-digitally-relaunch-a-radio-station

Not having apps, website and tune in (and other aggregators) ready from the get go is unforgivable in this day and age. Leveraging the existing Phantom assets would have been a start.

This mornings launch was super low key.

They should have communicated more with the existing audience unless they really want to go back to scratch - and with just two years to run on their licence that's a risky proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Listening to Joe this evening, I think he is a little less "wacky" without co-presenters. This is a good thing!

I heard Cathal's low-key business-like launch of the new brand this morning. He just got down to business. It's all about the music again, like the old Phantom - no inane banter, etc.

Well done to Cathal Funge on getting the big gig. I'm still wondering how that happened - certainly unexpected, but it might be a good decision.

I have only heard some of this morning and some of this evening, but it seems to sound reasonable. It is hard to judge based on a couple of shows.

Fingers crossed that things will improve for the station - I know that's no consolation to those who were pushed aside over the last three years!

I heard some of Kelly-Ann Byrne's program this evening. She put in a good solid performance. I thought the music mix was pretty interesting and she was clearly all about the music. Sad to think that she was occupying the slot previously occupied by the Two Richies. That aside, she sounds promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

I heard some of Kelly-Ann Byrne's program this evening. She put in a good solid performance. I thought the music mix was pretty interesting and she was clearly all about the music. Sad to think that she was occupying the slot previously occupied by the Two Richies. That aside, she sounds promising.

I heard a bit of her show as well and it sounded alright. I also heard Joe reading out your text earlier (well, I'm assuming there wasn't another Declan Walsh in Dublin 16 texting in ;)).

Twizzler wrote: »
    I heard a bit of her show as well and it sounded alright. I also heard Joe reading out your text earlier (well, I'm assuming there wasn't another Declan Walsh in Dublin 16 texting in ;)).

You'd never know. There are quite a few of us around!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Twizzler wrote: »

Was it a repeat! ?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Five Lamps, that mediauk.com post is a fantastic critique of the lack of joined up thinking you sometimes get now that radio can be accessed and supported across so many platforms.

Not sure how much of the new TXFM I will listen to but good luck to them. I really enjoyed Simon's old Coast FM/Spectrum and the initial incarnations of Phantom FM but, sadly, they got the licence too late for me, by the time they went legit I was probably too elderly for their target demographic!

The presenters and music choices are going down fine with me so far but I am really, really struggling with the name...and so are the presenters to my ears...it's a mouthful and an earful. I'm also hoping I'll stop saying "Point two" to the radio every time they say "1052" after a few weeks/months.

From the Daily Edge: TXFM hits the airwaves: Here’s how Twitter reacted to the first day
    http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/txfm-first-day-reaction-1391010-Mar2014/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I must say, I like how the Daily Edge/the Journal always give a good amount of publicity to radio moves/new schedules etc.

Haven't listened yet to TXFM, but will give it a spin when I'm in work tomorrow. I'm assuming by the names down as hosting the sports show at the weekends it's going to be Johnnnnnyyyyyyy Lyoonnnnnnnns of 98FM. Think there's a lad called Paul that does sport on 98 also.

Advertisement