Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Did we find out who the middle band was covering the Kinks this morning?
    I was listening in a semi comatose state but I think he said it was Bob Geldof. Cant find anything on YouTube though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

They're playing an awful lot of U2 lately :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

marwelie wrote: »
    I was listening in a semi comatose state but I think he said it was Bob Geldof. Cant find anything on YouTube though

Yes, you're right - it was Bob Geldof

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

God, they play 'Reflektor' by Arcade Fire at least once every day! It's over a fecking year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Beck's Blue Moon too, hear it at least once a day for the last couple of weeks and it's over a year old. The song reminds me a bit of the "end of phantom" - it was heavily played around then too. Maybe it's a nod to Phantom? Or maybe it's because Beck won a grammy recently? Have started noticing a few playlisted older songs too like Catatonia Moulder and Scully. They'll be bringing in DJ 3000 before we know it like every other music radio station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

The SOS hour of Claire's show remains very flawed. "A person was looking to hear Royal Blood, here's Ten Tonne Skeleton'." That was from today.

Firstly, who requests a song/band that is/are guaranteed to be played often during the day?
    And why can't actual non-playlisted songs only be played during the SOS hour?

It's funny that the most listenable part of the day is called SOS. Yeah save us from the bland crap filling up the rest of the day

That being said, I wonder if there's a generation of teenagers behind me who actually really want to hear these songs and I'm now a crusty old fool who wants to hear Joy Division and Gorillaz.

out-of-touch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

It's funny that the most listenable part of the day is called SOS. Yeah save us from the bland crap filling up the rest of the day

That being said, I wonder if there's a generation of teenagers behind me who actually really want to hear these songs and I'm now a crusty old fool who wants to hear Joy Division and Gorillaz.

out-of-touch.jpg

Doubt if the youngsters even listen to the wireless these days......:p

It'll be really interesting to hear what kind of songs are played tomorrow. I've requested one by a band they play a lot, but it's one of the band's more obscure tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

here's what Claire played:

https://www.facebook.com/claireontheradio/posts/410810469099776

Hour 1

Otis Redding - Dock Of The Bay
    Hot Chip - Over And Over
    Tears For Fears - Head Over Heels
    Ian Brown - Stellify
    David Bowie - Let's Dance
    Tame Impala - Elephant
    Supergrass - Alright
    Prince - I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man
    Jape - Floating
    Jungle - The Heat
    Jurassic 5 - What's Golden
    Alt J - Left Hand Free
    The Frames - Fitzcarraldo

Hour 2

Doves - Pounding
    Le Galaxie - Love System
    Tom Tom Club - Genius Of Love
    Bloc Party - Flux
    LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends (album version)
    Sultans Of Ping FC - Where's Me Jumper?
    The Bluetones - Slight Return
    The Charlatans - One To Another
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
    John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
    The Cure - Close To Me

Hour 3

Arctic Monkeys - Snap Out Of It
    Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy
    Placebo - Nancy Boy
    Mic Christopher - Heyday
    Jack White - Love Interruption
    The Roots - The Seed 2.0
    Prodigy - Out Of Space
    Blur - This Is A Low
    Courtney Barnett - Pedestrian At Best
    Kate Bush - Babooshka
    The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
    Wings - Let 'Em In

Hour 4

New Order - Blue Monday (12")
    Queens Of The Stone Age - Make It Wit Chu
    The Doors - Roadhouse Blues
    Beastie Boys - Sabotage
    The Beta Band - Dry The Rain
    Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
    Young Fathers - Get Up
    Public Enemy - Harder Than You Think
    Beck - Blue Moon
    The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

• Advertisement

There is, bar the Wings song, absolutely nothing there that I've never heard on TXFM. Been listening all day and there has been nothing genuinely surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Birneybau wrote: »
    There is, bar the Wings song, absolutely nothing there that I've never heard on TXFM. Been listening all day and there has been nothing genuinely surprising.

Well I guess that means that TXFM are playing songs that appeal to their audience then, if they're choosing songs that are regularly played.

Well I guess that means that TXFM are playing songs that appeal to their audience then, if they're choosing songs that are regularly played.

Like the "request" hour where a lot of the songs are already on the playlist? Doubtful.

2nd show in a row playing Courtney Barnett

Or only play the requests for songs that are actually on the playlist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Today is TXFMs first birthday. From 7am to 7pm they were allowing listeners pick the songs they wanted to hear. So if youre a listener and youve heard it played before once too often on TXFM and you heard it today its basically your own fault for not requesting something different today ;)

I thought today was brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

marwelie wrote: »
    Today is TXFMs first birthday. From 7am to 7pm they were allowing listeners pick the songs they wanted to hear. So if youre a listener and youve heard it played before once too often on TXFM and you heard it today its basically your own fault for not requesting something different today ;)

They said themselves they had hundreds of requests and could only play a few though.

Judging by what they did play, they certainly weren't picking requests for anything that was out of the ordinary

i think that list is pretty decent.
    very little on there that is played regularly.

could do with a bit more diversity in genres, but mostly 4 white men and guitars being played isn't really that surprising for the station.

I did enjoy the days music whether it was "requested" or on the playlist...if it was mostly requested music i hope they take note of what their listeners want to hear before they feck off to another station....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I tuned in at various stages during the day and the music mix was pretty good alright. There was one thing that bugged me a little bit, though. Nothing to do with the music....

If someone tuned in who only got familiar with the station in the last 12 months, they would think it was only one year old - a new station. That of course is not strictly correct. It is one year using its new re-launched name of TXFM, but it has a long history as Phantom.

Just saying!

• Advertisement

It's about as close to Phantom as Today FM is, I.e., not very.

Obviously not meant geographically ; )

They said themselves they had hundreds of requests and could only play a few though.

Judging by what they did play, they certainly weren't picking requests for anything that was out of the ordinary

They could have dropped stuff like Tame Impala - Let It Happen on that day seeing as it's played every other day, but I do wonder what kind of variety of songs they have at their fingertips in the studio....I think I mentioned this before, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I requested Nirvana's Radio Friendly Unit Shifter one night and was told they didn't have it and would play something else by Nirvana instead - fair enough, but I would have thought In Utero would be an album that an alternative radio station would definitely have.

But then Joe played some relatively obscure stuff (compared to the usual TXFM playlist) like Leftfield's Swords, so I don't know if that blows my theory up (or if maybe he'd had the request in advance and brought the album in himself).

Either way, I really enjoyed the bit of diversity. I think the DJs themselves enjoyed it. And it was SO GOOD to not hear Hold Back The River for one whole day!!

usually i don't bother with TXFM whatsoever during the day, but had it on yesterday on my drive to work (20mins), and they played The War On Drugs - Under The Pressure.
    on my drive home (20mins), they played The War on Drugs - Under The Pressure.
    Joe was then going on about one of the non-stop TEXT US things and one of the songs was Personal Jesus.

this morning on my journey to work: Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus, followed by the hourly playing of Seasons (Waiting On You). not a different Future Islands song of course, the same one they have played multiple times every bloody day for the last year.

do they only have 20 albums in there or something?
    the station is so f-cking stale and predictable.

i actually texted in to complain about playing Future Islands so much and how predictable and repetitive everything is, but i doubt it makes much difference to Cathal or whoever was reading it, before they launched yet another TEXT US ON 5.... poll.

Normal service has been resumed.....sad but true.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The playtlists on the 31st were fantastic... and it was because it was what the listeners WANTED!!

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The playtlists on the 31st were fantastic... and it was because it was what the listeners WANTED!!

Sadly it seems to be down to the ego's/tastes of the dopes people that run Irish radio stations imo.....nothing to do with listeners...

Are you guys listening to 8Radio at all? I'm more of a physical radio listener than an app or internet one, but when I'm on the laptop recently I've been giving 8Radio a go. Enjoying it so far.

Aidan (who does not mention his surname) is on again this morning. I like his style...he sounds quite at home there. Looks like he's Aidan O'Connor, from the info in this link (and also from Twitter - Aodhán Ó Conchubhair): http://www.txfm.ie/player/blogs/921.922.932/559/0/

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Joe earlier: "Coming up: music from Ham Sandwich's excellent new album". So silly me was expecting to hear something different and new.

Alas it wasn't to be, as they played 'Illuminate' once again.

They seem to be following their Future Islands structure with a hit song by an artist played over and over, instead of actually playing more recent tracks by artists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I've been away from the station for a good few months but I tuned in one day last week as Neil Delamere was subbing for Anton Savage and I hate that guy. Honest to god, the playlist was exactly the same as before I switched off. It was as though no time had passed. There was one song (can't remember which one now) that was introduced as new even though it's been out for months. Definitely not enticing me back.

Advertisement