Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Yeah have to say I'm listening to it way less than I used to.

Songs are shíte, presenters are boring

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Had to chuckle when some wags caught out poor Joe whilst he read out listeners texts/emails during the 'Musical Highlight of the Weekend just passed' section on his Monday show.
    Mr Donnelly blurted out 2 or 3 messages from some listeners who claimed they had witnessed an exciting new 'Pogo-Punk' band called 'The Mullingar Nevins' at the 'Distillery pub' in the same town, who according to one text- literally wrecked the place!!
    http://www.thejournal.ie/mullingar-brawl-pub-2041798-Apr2015/
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/boxer-john-joe-nevin-barred-from-every-pub-in-co-westmeath-1.2171604

Time for TxFm to start vetting listeners text messages me thinks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Vojera wrote: »
    I've been away from the station for a good few months but I tuned in one day last week as Neil Delamere was subbing for Anton Savage and I hate that guy. Honest to god, the playlist was exactly the same as before I switched off. It was as though no time had passed. There was one song (can't remember which one now) that was introduced as new even though it's been out for months. Definitely not enticing me back.

Not TXFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Birneybau wrote: »
    Not TXFM.

I think he means he switched to TXFM to avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

What's the competition about that Cathal was hyping this morning? Had to leave for work before it was announced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Yep, that's it.

Used to listen to TXFM. Got bored and switched. Tuned in one day as Neil Delamere was subbing on the station I normally listen to and I can't stand him. Heard the exact same songs on TXFM as I used to before I changed stations. Was disappointed but not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Everlong1 wrote: »
    What's the competition about that Cathal was hyping this morning? Had to leave for work before it was announced.

Flight to Canada and a ticket to see U2 if I'm not mistaken.

I had no coffee before posting and that's my excuse ok! :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Flight to Canada and a ticket to see U2 if I'm not mistaken.
    hopefully the U2 part of the prize is optional :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

hopefully the U2 part of the prize is optional :pac:

I believe the Niagara Falls are nice this time of year....:)

• Advertisement

I see Psycho by Muse is this months play it til you hate it track

I see Psycho by Muse is this months play it til you hate it track

To be fair...every song they play is a PITYHI one.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

Still playing "Seasons". Every day since it came out a year ago. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Junk Adele wrote: »
    Still playing "Seasons". Every day since it came out a year ago. Disgraceful.

As I read your post, 'Seasons' is currently playing. The irony. :mad:

According to the latest figures, TXFM is less popular with 15-24 year olds in Dublin than every station except 4FM and Lyric FM, and they're on par with Sunshine FM.
    Overall it's now the least popular major station in Dublin :( Okay, they haven't lost listeners, but every other station is growing the audience and TXFM isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

According to the latest figures, TXFM is less popular with 15-24 year olds in Dublin than every station except 4FM and Lyric FM, and they're on par with Sunshine FM.
    Overall it's now the least popular major station in Dublin :( Okay, they haven't lost listeners, but every other station is growing the audience and TXFM isn't.

It's incredible how little marketing they do though...as in, none. I can't see how they will grow the listenership with the current marketing strategy (which appears to just be 'Use Twitter'). They don't even give out those crappy car window stickers that would cost a few beans to produce. Joe has given out a few beer mats here and there. That seems to be the only station merchandise they have. As someone else pointed out, they didn't even make much of the station's launch, so this seems to have been the angle from day 1....hard to work it out.

According to the latest figures, TXFM is less popular with 15-24 year olds in Dublin...
    That's not necessarily a bad thing though.
    Is it?
    How does it fare with the 25+ (post college) audience?
    I got the impression that was more its target demographic

I would also say, as someone who didn't grow up in Dublin, that I hope people outside of Dublin are aware of TXFM for the purposes of listening to it on the Internet....I would have killed for a station like TXFM when I was a teenager instead of the mainstream stations. I'd strongly suspect that there is no awareness of it outside of Dublin. There's barely an awareness of it IN Dublin!

http://www.bai.ie/index.php/documents/jnlr/
    It's the first link there if you want to take a look

Twizzler wrote: »
    I would also say, as someone who didn't grow up in Dublin, that I hope people outside of Dublin are aware of TXFM for the purposes of listening to it on the Internet....I would have killed for a station like TXFM when I was a teenager instead of the mainstream stations. I'd strongly suspect that there is no awareness of it outside of Dublin. There's barely an awareness of it IN Dublin!
    I've mentioned it before but you can pick it up as far south as Tullamore and as far west as Ballinasloe (I travel a bit with work and often have it on in the car)
    They tend to get a sizable amount of texts/tweets etc from places outside the old Pale & all over Leinster/outer commuter belt- Joe Donnelly regularly gets messages from a 'Mary in Mullingar' & some fella down in Carlow.
    I'm a regular festival goer and many of the non Dublin based types I bump into at the Picnic or Body & Soul regularly listen to it and Phantom prior to that. So it has got a reach beyond Dublin which makes me wonder how its ratings would fare if non-Dublin based listeners were taken into account.

• Advertisement

room_149 wrote: »
    I've mentioned it before but you can pick it up as far south as Tullamore and as far west as Ballinasloe (I travel a bit with work and often have it on in the car)
    They tend to get a sizable amount of texts/tweets etc from places outside the old Pale & all over Leinster/outer commuter belt- Joe Donnelly regularly gets messages from a 'Mary in Mullingar' & some fella down in Carlow.
    I'm a regular festival goer and many of the non Dublin based types I bump into at the Picnic or Body & Soul regularly listen to it and Phantom prior to that. So it has got a reach beyond Dublin which makes me wonder how its ratings would fare if non-Dublin based listeners were taken into account.

That's true - I often get it as far as Laois when I'm travelling. I just wondered with those texts if they are people like me, aware of the station from Dublin (and from Phantom days) who happen to be home visiting or something. I'd always listen in on the Internet or through the app if I'm not in Dublin.

I just hope it stays going. For all the complaints we have about it here, I have more complaints about other stations! :)

Liam92 wrote: »
    As I read your post, 'Seasons' is currently playing. The irony. :mad:

Seasons change, but some things just never do, like the TXFM playlist...

Great show with Gaz Coombes today........anyone who has the balls to play Cptn.Beefheart on daytime radio is OK in my head....;)

room_149 wrote: »
    That's not necessarily a bad thing though.
    Is it?
    How does it fare with the 25+ (post college) audience?
    I got the impression that was more its target demographic

All brackets are 2-3% tbh and it's either the lowest or one of the lowest in any demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

The constant live guide ads are becoming seriously annoying. Probably it's the fact Donegan/Eoin McLove sounds like he's advertising local gigs in Gorey Town Hall or something.

Also, Foo Fighters - 'Congregation' needs to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Clem_Fandango

Hello Thread Followers,

This is Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?

Just out of curiosity - and please don't bite my head off - but, why do you care what a radio station plays so much so that you will both give out about it, but also continue to listen?

I don't really think Caddell is going to swing by, read your comment, and think to himself "I should listen to these guys. They are the chosen ones."

Why not just switch the dial?

Or pop on a track you do like?

It just seems a bit silly to give out about a commercial radio station for the things that are clearly commercial. Like, heavy rotation for example, it's kind of a big formatting component of 7-7 radio. You're not gonna get away from it.

"Man I looooove me some milk but I f****in hate cows."

I say, if you like it, hey great... support it.

If you don't, hey great... go support something else.

Personally, I don't really listen to the station because my musical tastes have changed and I'm reminded of this when I do occasionally tune in.

So, I listen to something else without major drama. It's pretty easy.

Anyone who answers has my appreciation.

Good Luck.

FAM

CLEM FANDANGO

Its what we do...its the begrudging attitude of the Irish..We listen so we can have a moan...its fun..:)

Can Caddell read...:confused:......assumed that Gods dont require this ability as theyre all seeing ,always right...:pac:

Its what we do...its the begrudging attitude of the Irish..We listen so we can have a moan...its fun..:)

Can Caddell read...:confused:......assumed that Gods dont require this ability as theyre all seeing ,always right...:pac:

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

Hi Clem,
    For me, it's like this. I spend a lot of time with my family. It's fair to say that I love my family. However, sometimes when we spend too much time together, we get on each others' txts. I listen to TXFM a LOT. I'm listening right now. I listen because I love the station. However, listening to the good bits also means putting up with the shxttier bits (and I agree with Liam re the live guide ad being on non-stop....although I do like Paul, so he's not the problem for me - it's just the repetition). Sometimes the shxttier aspects will prompt a comment here. Doesn't mean I don't like the station though, in the same way that it doesn't mean I don't like my family when they pinch my biscuits - but chances are that I'll moan to someone about my biscuits being eaten.
    There's much to commend in the station. Also, a station with a smaller listenership is great from a regular listener's point of view....usually when I request a song, it's played. I've entered competitions and won them because the pool of people to pick from is smaller (I won a few on Phantom too). It's good to feel like the DJs actually like what they're playing, unlike on more mainstream stations where I always feel they're just throwing out whatever's popular at any given time. With TXFM and Phantom before it, I feel like the people on it are my type of people.
    As for this thread, I think it's by far and away more respectful than some of the threads on boards about radio stations and DJs...for example, there was some really dark stuff said about Ray D'Arcy before he left Today FM and directly afterwards....weird, unnecessary shxt. At least here, it's mostly kept to feedback about the station, not the presenters.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure John Caddell isn't worried about what the lot of us think, nor should he be - but you know what, it seems to me that a lot of us here are regular listeners and would probably have valid 'big picture' feedback to give if anyone wanted it. I know if I had a business and I was looking for feedback, I'd like it to come from the people who used my business the most.
    As I said before, I just hope the station lasts long term and I hope they make a concerted effort to get more listeners so that that'll happen. We need the diversity.
    Just out of interest, Clem, what stations are you listening to now that your music interests have changed? Don't answer if you don't want to though - I'm just curious.
    T

• Advertisement

Hey Twizzler,

This is Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?

Thanks for your answer. Am I correct in surmising your response as "Begrudge whatcha love" ?

It's only fair that I answer your question since you answered mine.

If I'm listening to radio it's hardly ever Irish primetime wireless anymore. I listen to a fair bit of KEXP (for the playlist mix, live performances and interviews), BBC6, a bit of SOMA or WFMU; but mostly I just listen to records, my soundcloud stream, or spotify playlists.

Listening to KEXP right now, overnight playlist is on and Miami Horror's 'Real Slow' is on.

Advertisement