Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Joe's afternoon show is way way better than Joe n' Keiths Head Down Keep Pedalling Pure Bogger Messin' Breakfast Show

But still not in the league of the Richie's or John

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i think Cathal's is one of the worst tbh.
    endless text-ins and bull**** quizzes.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

A bit harsh perhaps?
    I actually find the way he bungles his lines up most mornings to be quite endearing! Plus he doesn't claim to be an expert on every band as an earlier poster mentioned. The text messages are banal but he's likely obliged contractually to request & read them out. Sure the show aint perfect- that 'Tale of the Tape' feature feckin grated (I actually wanted to physically harm some of the smug tools who called in..) but his quizzes, despite being a bit silly & pointless aren't in as in your face as those on other morning shows - remember the awful ones Joe & Keith persisted with on Phantom with the stupid jingles?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

It is (afaik) the only breakfast show on Dublin radio that is not a double-act. He has to fill air time somehow and if getting people to text in is the alternative to having some "wacky" sidekick to provide "banter", them I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

It is (afaik) the only breakfast show on Dublin radio that is not a double-act. He has to fill air time somehow and if getting people to text in is the alternative to having some "wacky" sidekick to provide "banter", them I'm all for it.
    "Live Drive" on 103.2fm (Dublin City FM) only had the one presenter last time I tuned in- cant remember her name for the life of me though.
    Don't listen in that often as the constant traffic updates drives me crazy!! As mentioned on here previously, the music played there is pretty good- nice and eclectic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Is it just me or is the sound terrible today? It keeps breaking up and becoming distorted...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

room_149 wrote: »
    "Live Drive" on 103.2fm (Dublin City FM) only had the one presenter last time I tuned in- cant remember her name for the life of me though.
    Don't listen in that often as the constant traffic updates drives me crazy!! As mentioned on here previously, the music played there is pretty good- nice and eclectic

eh, that would be the show "broadcasting live from Dublin City Council's Traffic Control Centre, LiveDrive is Dublin's only dedicated live traffic update service."

Imagine having constant traffic updates.

Pam Duggan presents, but the producer is not shy about throwing in a few words either.

Good show, great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Is it just me or is the sound terrible today? It keeps breaking up and becoming distorted...

Yeah, big time. Some horrible digital messiness. The cylons have taken over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Birneybau wrote: »
    Yeah, big time. Some horrible digital messiness.

So it's not just me then. I sent them a tweet but no response yet.

room_149 wrote: »

Pam Duggan is great.

But yeah, I find Cathal's show quite dull. Is it sunny where you are? Text in. Sandwich or wrap for lunch today? Text 51052 and let us know.

I wouldn't mind if the texts and tweets led to anything but its literally

"Sarah has texted in saying she's having a wrap today. Thanks for the text Sarah" and he moves on.

There's no discussion or anything, he just briefly acknowledges the message and immediately forgets about it.

• Advertisement

Pam Duggan is great.

But yeah, I find Cathal's show quite dull. Is it sunny where you are? Text in. Sandwich or wrap for lunch today? Text 51052 and let us know.

I wouldn't mind if the texts and tweets led to anything but its literally

"Sarah has texted in saying she's having a wrap today. Thanks for the text Sarah" and he moves on.

There's no discussion or anything, he just briefly acknowledges the message and immediately forgets about it.

At least Cathal knows his stuff, Joe asks the most inane questions CONSTANTLY, hasn't got much of a clue about music or popular culture in general and has a bit of nasty attitude at times.

Have changed over to Nova for the day, even the adverts are naff...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I really like Cathal in the mornings.
    He's a sound bloke who knows his music and plays some great songs.
    I find the quizzes and text ins can be a bit forced and are sometimes there just for participation.
    Still, it's miles better than the 'Joe n Keith' show or any annoying double act that'd make you want to smash the radio in!
    However, they had the mix perfect with Richie and Michelle / Charlotte.
    Having that mix was like having good friends in the car on the drive to work, that weren't annoying but made you arrive with a smile.
    Cathal is like a mate who doesn't distract you but just plays good songs and makes sure all is well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Cathal's a good presenter, but I find that since he's started that show you can hear how scripted and boring the show has become in some parts. Yes, he plays some decent tunes, but it feels and sounds like he's counting down the seconds until his next text-in feature. 'The 51052 Show'.

Today someone requested Mumford & Sons - 'The Wolf' for the SOS hour on Claire's show. Whoever it was, why? It's played all day and you deprived us listeners of an actual song that's not on heavy rotation.

he could play music instead.

Liam92 wrote: »
    Cathal's a good presenter, but I find that since he's started that show you can hear how scripted and boring the show has become in some parts. Yes, he plays some decent tunes, but it feels and sounds like he's counting down the seconds until his next text-in feature. 'The 51052 Show'.

Today someone requested Mumford & Sons - 'The Wolf' for the SOS hour on Claire's show. Whoever it was, why? It's played all day and you deprived us listeners of an actual song that's not on heavy rotation.

I don't believe for a minute that about half of it (songs on heavy rotation) are requested again. I call shenanigans.

Examples from today, a really old Phoenix song that they always play seguing into Snoozier's current song. Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'll say one thing ..theres some bands on there , names escape me but, I'll never wear a t-shirt again weather its sunny or not and risk getting sunburnt badly...at least i'll have the marks to prove it.........:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

I don't believe for a minute that about half of it (songs on heavy rotation) are requested again. I call shenanigans.

Examples from today, a really old Phoenix song that they always play seguing into Snoozier's current song. Give me a break.

They probably have two hats with one filled with names and the other with Dublin locations and take a piece of paper from both to make a 'request' seem legit.

"Up next we have Mumford & Sons for [Mary] from [Clontarf], who texted in on her lunchbreak."

I don't know why this is such a big deal for some people, but maybe, just maybe, the people texting in on their lunch break aren't listening all day and therefore don't hear the rotation. Many people can't listen at their desks.

And yes, people do request songs that are already heavily playlisted.

I, and I imagine most people on here who listen to TXFM, am fairly well versed in indie/alternative music.

Most of us are going to gigs, finding music on the internet, talking to friends, etc.
    No one I know give a crap about Catfish and the Bottlemen. In fact, most indie people I know don't actually listen to TXFM. The general opinion is that the music is crap.

So I don't really think there's thousands of people out there listening to the station clamouring for the same crappy songs over and over

• Advertisement

I, and I imagine most people on here who listen to TXFM, am fairly well versed in indie/alternative music.

Most of us are going to gigs, finding music on the internet, talking to friends, etc.
    No one I know give a crap about Catfish and the Bottlemen. In fact, most indie people I know don't actually listen to TXFM. The general opinion is that the music is crap.

So I don't really think there's thousands of people out there listening to the station clamouring for the same crappy songs over and over

You seem to be disproving your own argument here.

If the indie people don't listen to TXFM, doesn't that mean the people who are listening are non-indies who would request sh*te?

on the contrary, any time i see top songs/albums/artists lists voted by listeners, they're full of complete and utter unimaginative predictable rubbish.

7am-7pm, the playlists, and the requests hour are just a reflection of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'm a dinosaur (50's) and i grew up on punk/new wave ,ska etc....then along came "indie" bands....Blur ,Oasis Mumford etc....most bands i hear on TX are "OK" to me...but there are a few i just cant stand..Florence, Catfish...and i really dont "get" Hot Chip....maybe its my age....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

I'm a dinosaur (50's) and i grew up on punk/new wave ,ska etc....then along came "indie" bands....Blur ,Oasis Mumford etc....most bands i hear on TX are "OK" to me...but there are a few i just cant stand..Florence, Catfish...and i really dont "get" Hot Chip....maybe its my age....:o

Catfish I just can't abide. I have taken to listening to today fm in the mornings, I just couldn't handle the amount of times I kept hearing such dreadful dreadful songs on repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Was anyone just listening to the Claire Beck "interviewing" The Libertines just now?

One of the worst I've ever listened to... She had no direction and her questions were the most generic.

I don't get how she was the best talent available to them for the 11am-3pm slot.

Was anyone just listening to the Claire Beck "interviewing" The Libertines just now?

One of the worst I've ever listened to... She had no direction and her questions were the most generic.

I don't get how she was the best talent available to them for the 11am-3pm slot.

She seems nice but her 'EVERYTHING IS AWESOME' schtick does my head in.

The constant playing of 'Reflektor' by Arcade Fire has gone beyond a joke.

And, now being played in the pub...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

The constant playing of 'Reflektor' by Arcade Fire has gone beyond a joke.

That, the new Stereophonics song, T Shirt weather & The Academic's new song are basically on repeat...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Have to say I really enjoyed the Beatles Almost Live concert yesterday afternoon. More of that kind of thing please if anyone from TXFM is listening....

• Advertisement

John Caddell is some man

Advertisement