Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

marwelie wrote: »
    Have to say I really enjoyed the Beatles Almost Live concert yesterday afternoon. More of that kind of thing please if anyone from TXFM is listening....

...if they do, i'm off...........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

WTF?
    Cathal playing Ryan Sheridan's new song this morning?
    Is this really TXFM??
    Had to check it didn't flick to Spin / 98 when I wasn't looking...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

whiskeyman wrote: »
    WTF?
    Cathal playing Ryan Sheridan's new song this morning?
    Is this really TXFM??
    Had to check it didn't flick to Spin / 98 when I wasn't looking...

And it was an absolutely crap song!
    That Josh Ritter ditty 'Getting ready to get down' is a bit too country and western for me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

long gone are the good 'ol days of Adele, Kodaline and Bastille every couple of hours, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Have no idea what their ethos is nowadays. Playing a song by Halsey which might as well be Rihanna/Rita Ora.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Birneybau wrote: »
    Have no idea what their ethos is nowadays. Playing a song by Halsey which might as well be Rihanna/Rita Ora.

That's an insult to both Rita Ora & Rihanna... and I despise both of them!!! :pac:

Truly awful song.

Think theyre trying to throw a curve ball at Nova...its clear if you listen to both stations that they are each others no.1 listener....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

The constant playing of 'Reflektor' by Arcade Fire has gone beyond a joke.

And, now being played in the pub...
    Good song but if if there is a song on that album (which is debatable) that is suited to being played regularly on radio it would be Afterlife or maybe We Exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Canadel wrote: »
    We Exist.

That got plenty of airplay, don't worry.

Turns out they've got Ryan Sheridan on their weekly rota, so it's on a lot!!
    Am embarrassed when it comes on if there's anyone else in the car with me!!

Thank christ Claire Beck stopped with that "Cinebecks" farce of a segment...

• Advertisement

Somebody anonymously texted in a request for 'Go' by the Chemical Brothers. Sure they did...

Somebody anonymously texted in a request for 'Go' by the Chemical Brothers. Sure they did...

Agreed, it's beyond subtle what's happening now!

The variety in the 'once a week' shows is one of my favourite things about the station at present...Songs In The Key Of Life often throws up some good tunes, and The Listening Post is another one I always enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Twizzler wrote: »
    The variety in the 'once a week' shows is one of my favourite things about the station at present...Songs In The Key Of Life often throws up some good tunes, and The Listening Post is another one I always enjoy.

Agreed, Nialler9s show is my favourite hour of radio in the week. I also find myself enjoying the country and funk shows, even though they're genres I'd not normally seek out.

I gotta say, I'm not feeling it for that Gavin James song Bitter Pill that's gone on heavy rotation recently. Too Ed Sheeran-y for my tastes. I feel like I'm listening to some late night love show on one of those stations I try to avoid. I know TXFM are probably just trying to support Irish music, but it just feels very out of character with the station's sound. Another one that doesn't quite work for me is Jack Garratt - Weathered. Sounds like the kind of thing my daughter would listen to....

Twizzler wrote: »
    I gotta say, I'm not feeling it for that Gavin James song Bitter Pill that's gone on heavy rotation recently. Too Ed Sheeran-y for my tastes. I feel like I'm listening to some late night love show on one of those stations I try to avoid. I know TXFM are probably just trying to support Irish music, but it just feels very out of character with the station's sound. Another one that doesn't quite work for me is Jack Garratt - Weathered. Sounds like the kind of thing my daughter would listen to....

I think they only support people who do interviews for them.

You have bands like Girl Band who don't get a play a month, yet sell out the Button Factory.

Then that Gavin James song... more like Gavin Shames!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

A year and a half on-air and I still don't think TXFM know what their musical niche is. Bit of this, bit of that, seems to be the approach.

Most of their presenters wang on about Girl Band, yet rarely play them. Their gig is bigged up on the live guide yoke regularly so why big them up if they receive little to no airplay??

But them playing Gavin James is unforgivable.

And Girl Band are exactly the type of thing I want to hear when I listen to the station. That's why I listen in to this and not to Today FM.

Cathal has played them intermittently and I remember he listed Lawman as his favourite song of last year on a blog, but Paul for example didn't get much airplay in general...I think it got a few outings on The Listening Post.

I fully agree that at this stage they need to identify who their target audience/demographic is and not dip in and out of music that represents the reason why we're not listening to other stations in the first place. We've chosen this one for a reason and it's frustrating when it veers off onto paths that don't make sense for the station. Today FM is a much more logical home for songs like Bitter Pill.

On another note, The Listening Post was good tonight. Always good really.

And Girl Band are exactly the type of thing I want to hear when I listen to the station. That's why I listen in to this and not to Today FM.

Cathal has played them intermittently and I remember he listed Lawman as his favourite song of last year on a blog, but Paul for example didn't get much airplay in general...I think it got a few outings on The Listening Post.

I fully agree that at this stage they need to identify who their target audience/demographic is and not dip in and out of music that represents the reason why we're not listening to other stations in the first place. We've chosen this one for a reason and it's frustrating when it veers off onto paths that don't make sense for the station. Today FM is a much more logical home for songs like Bitter Pill.

On another note, The Listening Post was good tonight. Always good really.

That Ryan Sheridan song is like bleedin' One Republic or Maroon 5.

• Advertisement

Is Partridge for real? Thursday survey: Phil Lynott v John Lennon. Give me strength...

BTW..Dont bother emailing....Joe doesnt read them....sent in a song yesterday for his "end of the world " theme...Nick Cave's I'll love you till the end of the world....clearly too obscure for Joe's delicate little ears...:rolleyes:

Apologies to Joe...didnt mean to upset you so much that you couldnt turn up for work today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Paul describing Alabama Shakes' last gig in Marlay Park on the live guide ads as "triumphant", is a bit much. They supported Paolo Nutini on an overcast Saturday evening in Rathfarnham, hardly that triumphant really. And how could they even triumph at a gig??

And he has to stop saying show. It's a gig. Popstars put on shows. Artists on TXFM play gigs. Full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

As a fan of radio I cannot believe this station is in the position its in. I've really enjoyed the first few weeks of Radio X and this station is crying out for a similar revamp
    Starting with a multi city licence in Dublin Cork and Galway. Its just can't survive in it's current format. When you think of what of did in its previous life as a pirate. Owners and managers take note of Radio X.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

just checked the Radio X Playlist.

utter ****e.

Stereophonics, Nirvana, Noel Gallagher, Hozier, The Vaccines, Kasabian, Jamie T, Blur, Sum 41, The Libertines, The Dandy Warhols.

Radio Nova for people born 20 years later. ****ing horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

While we are all on whinging & and complaining about the playlist I might just ask- what the hell is going with all that Euro stuff they are playing during the day of late?
    Chief offenders are 'The Avenar' & 'Milky Chance'
    The latter's faux reggae pop bleatings remind me of that annoying German we all met in a Melbourne hostel, complete with whiteboy Dreadlocks & guitar & a trust-fund; whilst the former sounds like a botched attempt by the French or Swiss to enter a 'cool' Disclosure / Mk/ Hercules/ & Love Affair / Gorgon City type late 80s/early 90s classic house (or Robin S 'show me love' clone) in the Eurovision.

No music snob 99% of the time me, but come on TXFM- you can do better than that sh1te surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

just checked the Radio X Playlist.

utter ****e.

Stereophonics, Nirvana, Noel Gallagher, Hozier, The Vaccines, Kasabian, Jamie T, Blur, Sum 41, The Libertines, The Dandy Warhols.

What playlist do you suggest? Give us a few artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nova was effectively meant to be XFM for the XFM audiences dads, so that's close enough :pac:

I rarely tune in on a Sunday at this time, but I have today and I've just realised Claire O'Dowd left her slot (in June, according to her LinkedIn profile). I suppose a once a week show on a weekend day isn't a great slot. In other TX stuff, just read this....(yes, I know I am totally behind on all the news!) http://www.thejournal.ie/radio-licences-newstalk-txfm-2363764-Oct2015/

• Advertisement

Just turned on the station to hear Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know. WTAF?

Advertisement