Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Liam92 wrote: »
    They're now promoting Seatwave on the live guide ads as a place to purchase EP tickets. They need to cop on!

Radio stations need advertising to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Understandably, but they're encouraging people to purchase tickets from a source which inflates tickets to extortionate prices. Not very sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

It's the blood money equivalent of the music industry.

Completely unethical for a reputable station to encourage purchase here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

It's the blood money equivalent of the music industry.

Completely unethical for a reputable station to encourage purchase here.

I understand why some people wouldn't like it. It's just completely unrealistic and unreasonable to expect TXFM to burn their bridges with EP over something as minor as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Good old Caddell, put on a song for Cheer or Sneer, pulled it after a minute because it was 'crap'. Hope we have him for the next week or two, Partridge on his holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Birneybau wrote: »
    Good old Caddell, put on a song for Cheer or Sneer, pulled it after a minute because it was 'crap'. Hope we have him for the next week or two, Partridge on his holidays.

Heard that. I really like Joe on his own but fair fvcks to JD for pulling the track.

That Ashcroft track is sending me to sleep but on the other hand there's too much 'bouncy' Spin-esque tracks kicking in lately.

That can't really be blamed on the presenters though as they've little choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

The lack of Stone Roses is annoying. The odd "She Bangs The Drums" or "Waterfall" is all I seem to hear. When's the last time they've played Sally Cinamon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I thought I had spin FM on by mistake when they played that new Grimes track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I'd rather hear Grimes than ANY Stone Roses tbh, I don't want another Golden Oldies station like Nova or 4FM. I'd like to hear actual decent new music, not whatever tripe is foisted on them to be played to death

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

I'd rather hear Grimes than ANY Stone Roses tbh, I don't want another Golden Oldies station like Nova or 4FM. I'd like to hear actual decent new music, not whatever tripe is foisted on them to be played to death

If you'd rather be listening to stuff like the new Grimes song then Spin is most likely your best bet. That being said, TXFM is no more an alternative music station any more than the rest of the crap clogging up the airwaves.

• Advertisement

Over-reaction? Surely the Stone Roses incorporate everything an alt/indie music station should stand for? I don't mean sticking solely to "golden oldies", I simply mean playing some timeless indie tunes from the past like Sally Cinamon, Made of Stone etc which I rarely, if ever, hear played on txfm. They play it so safe even on the older bands which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Stone Roses are the very definition of safe old alt/indie bands though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Man, TXFM during the day is really starting to sound like Spin fm! That Grimmes track is a melt. I really like her first album, can't stand her now and its on right now.

And also, I've heard that advert for 'NOW #1563' every hour today. Know your audience TX.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Am I the only one who likes the Grimes track? I'd much rather hear her than the like of Kodaline and Gavin James, dreary derivative ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes the Grimes track? I'd much rather hear her than the like of Kodaline and Gavin James, dreary derivative ****e.

Haha I think you might just be, but to be fair, Kodaline make me feel like getting sick for some reason and Gavin James is just meh to me.

There is so much better music they could be playing but I know it's not up to the dj's who is on at that time decision on what's played. Must be kinda soul destroying for them sometimes.

Haha I think you might just be, but to be fair, Kodaline make me feel like getting sick for some reason and Gavin James is just meh to me.

There is so much better music they could be playing but I know it's not up to the dj's who is on at that time decision on what's played. Must be kinda soul destroying for them sometimes.

I agree with the dj point, I'm not a huge fan of John Cadell but I can hear it in his voice that it pains him every time he give the Avener a spin. Kelly Anne seems to have the greatest degree of freedom among the daily shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I like it! Enjoyed her previous album too.

Stone Roses are the very definition of safe old alt/indie bands though :confused:
    Not really. :confused:

And my point about playing it safe was more along the lines of the tracks they play, which in the case of the Stone Roses is almost always invariably Waterfall or She Bangs The Drums.

Canadel wrote: »
    Not really. :confused:

And my point about playing it safe was more along the lines of the tracks they play, which in the case of the Stone Roses is almost always invariably Waterfall or She Bangs The Drums.

I remember requesting I Wanna Be Adored on Stadium Rock on Phantom a few years ago and Richie Ryan said no. Instead he played Ten Storey Love Song and I respected him for that.

Phantom, I really miss you:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I remember requesting I Wanna Be Adored on Stadium Rock on Phantom a few years ago and Richie Ryan said no. Instead he played Ten Storey Love Song and I respected him for that.

Phantom, I really miss you:(

The bowl Richie! Couldn't stand him when he first appeared on Phantom but grew to love him. Really miss him on the radio.

I'd be the first to admit that I absolutely hated Joe & Keith on Phantom (or was it already TX) in the morning but have also grown to love Joes afternoon show. Great presenter on his own IMO. Can be a bit cutting / sarky at times but I'm actually missing him being off atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Big Nasty wrote: »
    The bowl Richie! Couldn't stand him when he first appeared on Phantom but grew to love him. Really miss him on the radio.

I'd be the first to admit that I absolutely hated Joe & Keith on Phantom (or was it already TX) in the morning but have also grown to love Joes afternoon show. Great presenter on his own IMO. Can be a bit cutting / sarky at times but I'm actually missing him being off atm.

I absolutely miss Joe....not that I don't like JC, but I'm in a groove now with Joe in that slot.

Understandably, but they're encouraging people to purchase tickets from a source which inflates tickets to extortionate prices. Not very sound.

Weirdly, I heard that ad for EP again recently with the Seatwave info removed...but EP is sold out. Not sure what the point of advertising that is. Haven't heard it in the last few days though, so hopefully that's the end of it. I didn't get tickets in time and don't want to hear ads for it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Yep, that was just an ad for NOW That's what I call music 93 on an alt/indie station.

Bring back phantom.

Am I the only person who thinks QOTSA are pointless?

Painful listening to all 4 and a half minutes of No One Knows earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Clem_Fandango

I agree with the dj point, I'm not a huge fan of John Cadell but I can hear it in his voice that it pains him every time he give the Avener a spin. Kelly Anne seems to have the greatest degree of freedom among the daily shows.

Kelly Anne is NOT a primetime show.

Primetime is 7-7.

So it's treated as half a regular playlisted show and then later, she goes more off her own set.

TXFM obviously think highly of Donegan with two shows, regular stand-ins, the live-guide voiceovers, and an ad for his Saturday show (which seems unfair considering his show is one of the weaker weekend shows compared to the likes of Dee Reddy).

But I cannot listen to present a full show anymore. Everything he says seems like it's read from a script with no personality coming across at all. We get that he likes Nirvana, Foos etc, but if you listen to him once, then there's no need to listen to him again.

I don't mean to be hatin', but he's obviously highly-regarded and I'd just rather hear him inject his own spin and personality into his shows. Everything is too by-the-book and rigid.

Kelly Anne is NOT a primetime show.

Primetime is 7-7.

So it's treated as half a regular playlisted show and then later, she goes more off her own set.

I didn't use the term prime time anywhere in my post? I meant, as far as the daily shows go (mon-thurs) she has the most freedom.

TXFM obviously think highly of Donegan with two shows, regular stand-ins, the live-guide voiceovers, and an ad for his Saturday show (which seems unfair considering his show is one of the weaker weekend shows compared to the likes of Dee Reddy).

But I cannot listen to present a full show anymore. Everything he says seems like it's read from a script with no personality coming across at all. We get that he likes Nirvana, Foos etc, but if you listen to him once, then there's no need to listen to him again.

I don't mean to be hatin', but he's obviously highly-regarded and I'd just rather hear him inject his own spin and personality into his shows. Everything is too by-the-book and rigid.

I would assume the regular stand-in slots thing is highly tied up with other people's availability as well though....there are probably very few weekend people free to work during the week, realistically - they probably all have other jobs. He might be the only weekend DJ who's not working during the week. I have no idea, but I would really think it's more to do with availability than anything else. And maybe he's trying harder than the rest of the weekend gang to push his career in there with the ads....who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

Canadel wrote: »
    Am I the only person who thinks QOTSA are pointless?

Painful listening to all 4 and a half minutes of No One Knows earlier.

Do some more QOTSA listening. Rated R and Songs for the Deaf are two great albums.

I'll admit that No One Knows has been played to death at this stage :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

TXFM have failed to apply for their own licence: http://www.bai.ie/index.php/2016/03/licensing-update-music-driven-alternative-rock-sound-broadcasting-service/

Unless the BAI pull some stroke, that's them off-air in October.

Advertisement