Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

During the day in work, I listen to 6 Music, I listen to it on my journey to and from work, and I listen to it when I'm making dinner.

I listen to it at the weekends.

It has no ads.

An Irish commercial can't do that, so I won't listen to one.

Might be worth giving 2XM a shot, it has got quite a good and varied mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Twizzler wrote: »
    I thought Gavin Glass left that slot on TX a month or so ago....I remember Kelly-Anne saying it was going to be his last show, & John Caddell has been doing the slot since. JC is listed on the website now for that show. Maybe he knew this was coming....I didn't think anything of it because the presenters in those slots often leave. The Pogo radio guys didn't last, Orlagh left the Fri eve gig, Kieran on The Set List came & went intermittently, etc.

I stand corrected.

As a matter of interest, where did Orlagh Donnelly go to?
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Might be worth giving 2XM a shot, it has got quite a good and varied mix.

Ray McGowan, Phantom's former heavy metal guru, who was let go ahead of the rebrand, has his old Metal Notes show on 2XM. Some TXFM presenters could end up doing stints on 2XM.

I wonder what will happen to Paul Donegan. He could lend his services to various stations to voice gig guides!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

I stand corrected.

As a matter of interest, where did Orlagh Donnelly go to?

Ray McGowan, Phantom's former heavy metal guru, who was let go ahead of the rebrand, has his old Metal Notes show on 2XM. Some TXFM presenters could end up doing stints on 2XM.

I wonder what will happen to Paul Donegan. He could lend his services to various stations to voice gig guides!

Orlagh seems to be DJing in town now, according to Twitter, but I have no idea why she left TX.

By the by, who is the 6th person who is being made redundant? Obviously Cathal, Claire, Joe, Kelly-Anne & John Caddell are the main five, but who is the other person? Would it be Paul & that is why he was always covering slots, or someone in sales & advertising or some other part of the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You would imagine communicorp would have a central sales team for all stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Plus the presenters such as Mark Radcliffe, Stuart Maconie and Lauren Laverne are far superior to any on Irish music stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Plus the presenters such as Mark Radcliffe, Stuart Maconie and Lauren Lavernock are far superior to any on Irish music stations.

Marc Riley, 19:00-21:00 the pick of the lot for me. But, yes, all great.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Big Nasty wrote: »
    You would imagine communicorp would have a central sales team for all stations?

They have two groupings, Communcorp One and Media Central. However, most stations even within groups still have local sales staff; not sure if TX do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

The Cure, Killers, Bowie, LCD in the space of 15 minutes.

I'll miss txfm.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Cathal was on serious form this morning. Even some double New Order to start the week off on a good note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Radio 6 is great, but its a loss maker funded by BBC licence fees. There's a far bigger indie market in the UK but even then Radio 6 has been on the verge of being closed due to lack of listeners a few times.

Dublin is the only place with enough market to run the station. Advertisers wouldn't touch it and we were left with the same gig and hotpress ads over and over.

I think the big problem (for me) was its lack of distinct identity. Is it a classic indie hits station or is it a place for new alternative music. It seemed to be Blur, Muse and late 90s guitar music on repeat. Joe stuck on a bit of 90s hip-hop on Fridays, but it always seemed forced to me, like they'd never play Kanye or Death Grips during their normal run.

Don't really need to listen to Pixies or Editors when I have their CDs from years ago. I wanted a place to find new music, or stuff I haven't heard a thousand times before.

Spotify Discover Weekly is the go-to thing now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Radio 6 is great, but its a loss maker funded by BBC licence fees. There's a far bigger indie market in the UK but even then Radio 6 has been on the verge of being closed due to lack of listeners a few times.

Dublin is the only place with enough market to run the station. Advertisers wouldn't touch it and we were left with the same gig and hotpress ads over and over.

Firstly all BBC radio stations are loss makers ! They dont carry advertisements ,the reason for the possible closure of BBC 6 was government cutbacks and a lot of politicing - at the end of the day sufficient numbers responded to keep BBC 6 on air - a bit like BBC 4 LW.

The problems with TX/Phantom include high overheads and the tight controls the BAI place on the playlist - Phantom as a pirate broke even / did not lose millions - the business model structure required for a niche station is not in place and unlikely to be sanctioned by the BAI anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

what are the high overheads?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Will seriously miss Joe, brilliant at what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

LEIN wrote: »
    Will seriously miss Joe, brilliant at what he does.

Same as.

How could Joe & Keith in the morning have been so fvckin bad yet Joe on his own is excellent?

I suppose it's like the two regular clowns in a bar and when the worst one moves on you realise the other is actually sound and just guilty by association.

Liam92 wrote: »
    Cathal was on serious form this morning. Even some double New Order to start the week off on a good note.

Cathal seems determined to enjoy whatever time they have left. I listened back to the start of his show last Thur morn & he started with "Well this is a bit awkward, isn't it?", said a few words about how gutted they are but how the music will go on for now, then went full throttle into the birthday requests. Thought he did a great job of keeping the momentum up at a really crap time.

what are the high overheads?

On air staff / management charges / News / Studio facilities / transmission facilities / on air staff / loan interest / royalties etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Is there a BAI rule that the station has to broadcast for all of its licence period, or can a station just give up the ghost? If the latter is the case, I'd be surprised if TXFM is still around come July.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Is there a BAI rule that the station has to broadcast for all of its licence period, or can a station just give up the ghost? If the latter is the case, I'd be surprised if TXFM is still around come July.

The plug can be pulled at any time before the expiration of the license that the owners want.

I would assume the presenters are all job hunting now, and they might start to drift off....you'd assume the management would think it's more trouble than it's worth to keep it going if that happens. They probably want to go out on a high. I can't imagine TX's last day without Joe, for example. There was a competition on Facebook a few days ago to win CDs that John Caddell had cleared out from his desk. Claire Beck was speaking earlier about how she was looking back yesterday at the interviews she's done there. All the signs are pointing towards it going a lot earlier. I hate to say that and I hope I'm wrong...it's just my opinion. I would absolutely love to see it going on to Oct, but it doesn't make sense in a lot of ways.

The plug can be pulled at any time before the expiration of the license that the owners want.

The only reason for the plug not to be pulled asap is that communicorp may come to an arrangement with the BAI and they may not want to upset the BAI if 105.2 is put for a different licence.

With rumoured interest from Nova and 8Radio however why would communicorp give their competitors any advantage by keeping TX on air...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would reflect very badly on them come renewal time for other licences, however - and they have a number of those in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Is there anything good in the world that finishes with the letters "corp"? :/

Have they dropped music news completely since the announcement? I've been listening in around the times it's usually on and I haven't heard it once. I expected that last week really, but I thought they'd do it again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I always thought the music news was pointless license box-ticking. who cares what Dave Grohl is up to? You can read Pitchfork or nme.com if you want indie gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

loyatemu wrote: »
    I always thought the music news was pointless license box-ticking. who cares what Dave Grohl is up to? You can read Pitchfork or nme.com if you want indie gossip.

Yeah, was always pulled from the sites, even the tabloid ones.

L1011 wrote: »
    It would reflect very badly on them come renewal time for other licences, however - and they have a number of those in the next while.

Not really - BAI needs Communicorp and there isn't exactly a lot of bidders lining up to compete for the licences they hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

loyatemu wrote: »

It probably counts as news .. part of the ridiculous regulatory requirements that are harming the independent sector. Non stop traffic & travel, sports news repeated ad nauseam, plus almost all the stations with the same news every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

One thing I'm definitely going to miss is the apparent inability of their newsreaders to properly pronounce the names of Firms/ Businesses, footballers, football teams, foreign cities, & places outside the pale!!

Some Kent Brockmanesque favs from memory-
    Luis Suarez - 'Louise Sorearse'
    Athenry - 'At-ten-er-ree'
    Borussia Dortmund - 'Boh-Russia Dort-mont'
    Diego Costa - 'Daygo Costos'
    Eventbrite - 'Event-brit'
    Ljubljana - 'Ellebujanala'
    Joe Schmidt - Joe Sckimmed'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

room_149 wrote: »
    One thing I'm definitely going to miss is the apparent inability of their newsreaders to properly pronounce the names of Firms/ Businesses, footballers, football teams, foreign cities, & places outside the pale!!

:) I'll miss TX overall too.

I'm not a pedantic person but, lately, the news readers really should have their scripts written phonetically for them.

Good list above and I'd say there's a whole lot more. My favourite is Ricky Gervay. Who hasn't heard of Ricky Gervais?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

room_149 wrote: »

Barcelona play in the "now camp" according to 7:30 news this morning. :pac:

Advertisement