Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

LEIN wrote: »
    Barcelona play in the "now camp" according to 7:30 news this morning. :pac:
    Yep, I nearly crashed the car laughing at that one this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

Oh dear, you're not someone who says camp "noo" are you?

Roxee wrote: »
    Oh dear, you're not someone who says camp "noo" are you?
    Ha Ha!
    Camp 'Noo' or 'Noo' Camp- I'm easy either way
    But Camp 'Now' or 'Now' Camp- that's a paddlin'!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Waaaaaay off topic, but lets let Barcelona themselves clear this up. From their website...
    That’s the order of the words sorted out, but what about the pronunciation? That too causes difficulties. The ‘Camp’ bit is simple enough, that’s more or less the same as we say ‘camp’ in English, although there is a tendency among Catalans to drop the ‘p’ at the end and just say ‘cam’.

But ‘Nou’? It’s not camp noo, and it’s not camp nau either, although those pronunciations are so widely used by foreigners these days that they are widely understood and accepted.

For the true perfectionist, the ‘o’ sound is more like the one in ‘modern’, but coupled with the ‘u’ at the end, that makes for a diphthong that doesn’t flow too well in an English sentence. The closest equivalent in the English language is something like ‘camp know’

So you're both wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Roxee

room_149 wrote: »
    Ha Ha!
    Camp 'Noo' or 'Noo' Camp- I'm easy either way
    But Camp 'Now' or 'Now' Camp- that's a paddlin'!!

But it's not pronounced "noo".. it's pronounced somewhere between "no" and "now" so actually whoever it was reading the news was closer than you, I'm afraid...

Ah well!

• Advertisement

Roxee wrote: »
    But it's not pronounced "noo".. it's pronounced somewhere between "no" and "now" so actually whoever it was reading the news was closer than you, I'm afraid...

Ah well!

Ha Ha- That's a paddlin for me so :)!!
    I've been to the New/Know/now/Not Camp a couple of times over the years and to my uncultured ears it always sounded like the locals were saying 'noo' to me?
    (Sorry for straying off topic!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There's a news reader sounds like she's from Carlow maybe who seems to have had speech lessons or something but any word with an 'a' in it gets over exaggerated, e.g. caaaar instead of car. The rest of her speech is perfect.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    There's a news reader sounds like she's from Carlow maybe who seems to have had speech lessons or something but any word with an 'a' in it gets over exaggerated, e.g. caaaar instead of car. The rest of her speech is perfect.
    That lady left the station last year- went to Canada I think.
    I have a friend from Wexford who sounds just like her.
    She tried changing her accent at UCD but still lets the old brogue slip out when uttering words like caaar & paaark!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Kelly-Anne Byrne is back on this evening after returning from her holidays. She was in Cuba last week when the station announcement was made.

She made a few references to it and played a few tunes that had a significance for her in relation to the station. She has just read out a sympathy message and is dedicating OMD's Joan of Arc to the messenger. I would say there will be a few more references before she finishes at 10.

It is hard to believe that Kelly-Anne only started radio presenting three years ago (when it was Phantom). I see a bright future for her. She is such a natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

One thing I'm definitely going to miss is the apparent inability of their newsreaders to properly pronounce the names of Firms/ Businesses, footballers, football teams, foreign cities, & places outside the pale!!

Some Kent Brockmanesque favs from memory-
    Luis Suarez - 'Louise Sorearse'
    Athenry - 'At-ten-er-ree'
    Borussia Dortmund - 'Boh-Russia Dort-mont'
    Diego Costa - 'Daygo Costos'
    Eventbrite - 'Event-brit'
    Ljubljana - 'Ellebujanala'
    Joe Schmidt - Joe Sckimmed'

Such a good observation. I've heard some humdingers over the last 2 years....wish I'd made a point of remembering them for comedy value!

That woman with the changing accent is from Kilkenny, if I remember correctly. Her pronunciation seemed very "learned" alright, with the odd real bit creeping through. It just all seemed too forced even listening to it, so I'd imagine it was hard work for her to actually do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

That lady left the station last year- went to Canada I think.

Orla Ormond I believe you're referring to, no idea where she's originally from though.
    produced some shows too IIRC, she was the one holding together one with one of those awful celebs as presenters, either that GAA arsehole, or Jason Byrne's show....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

Yep, I nearly crashed the car laughing at that one this morning!

Love it when they have female news readers who don't have a clue how to pronounce foreign teams and players
    Find it really really funny.

It's not like there is no one around the office to ask for the correct pronunciations.

Phantom used to have a female news reader and always butchered the names.... F*ckin hilarious

It is hard to believe that Kelly-Anne only started radio presenting three years ago (when it was Phantom). I see a bright future for her. She is such a natural.

I think she's brilliant. One the best presenters in txfm.

Wondering taste in music and ofter plays stuff you would not usually hear.

Got chatting to her some time last year. She's also a really sound girl.

Orla Ormond I believe you're referring to, no idea where she's originally from though.
    produced some shows too IIRC, she was the one holding together one with one of those awful celebs as presenters, either that GAA arsehole, or Jason Byrne's show....

Orla Ormonde left Phantom some years ago before the big rebranding shake-up. I think she is still in Ireland. Would you be thinking of Orlagh Donnelly? She left recently and used to co-host programs for a while on Phantom with GAA player Eamon Fennell.

Orla Ormonde left Phantom some years ago before the big rebranding shake-up. I think she is still in Ireland. Would you be thinking of Orlagh Donnelly? She left recently and used to co-host programs for a while on Phantom with GAA player Eamon Fennell.

I was thinking of Roisin Treacy....

Sorry, the above makes it sound like I was answering a question you asked to someone else - the intention was to state who I was referring to in my own post!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

micar wrote: »

Her chemistry with Joe Donnelly is there for all to see.

Love listening to the banter between both of them on the 6.30 music news!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭furryvision

micar wrote: »

easily the best presenter on the station. no nonsense chat and very effortless. wouldn't sound out of place on 6 music

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Is anyone else's reception not holding? Ever since the end was announced I'm getting a lot of fuzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

nope, Orla Ormond. she produced Jason Byrne's show (possibly others?) and left to go to Canada, still there according to her twitter. you're right though, it was probably before it became TXFM so 2 years ago at this stage.

Orlagh Donnelly is still there and presents a show early on Sunday mornings and the odd bit of covering here and there.

nope, Orla Ormond. she produced Jason Byrne's show (possibly others?) and left to go to Canada, still there according to her twitter. you're right though, it was probably before it became TXFM so 2 years ago at this stage.

Orlagh Donnelly is still there and presents a show early on Sunday mornings and the odd bit of covering here and there.

I forgot Orla was gone to Canada even though I had seen that before on Linkedin:
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/orla-ormond-7b86b556?authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=1C_x&locale=en_US&srchid=566980151460058660441&srchindex=1&srchtotal=1&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A566980151460058660441%2CVSRPtargetId%3A198805820%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary%2CVSRPnm%3Atrue%2CauthType%3ANAME_SEARCH

I knew that Orlagh was just on Sundays for a while, but a series of confusing posts made me think she was now gone completely - it could have been just me! I confused not being on Fridays (which I knew) with not being on at all! It didn't help that another poster confirmed my mistaken suspicions.

Twizzler wrote: »
    The Pogo radio guys didn't last, Orlagh left the Fri eve gig, Kieran on The Set List came & went intermittently, etc.

As a matter of interest, where did Orlagh Donnelly go to?

Twizzler wrote: »
    Orlagh seems to be DJing in town now, according to Twitter, but I have no idea why she left TX.

• Advertisement

I forgot Orla was gone to Canada even though I had seen that before on Linkedin:
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/orla-ormond-7b86b556?authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=1C_x&locale=en_US&srchid=566980151460058660441&srchindex=1&srchtotal=1&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A566980151460058660441%2CVSRPtargetId%3A198805820%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary%2CVSRPnm%3Atrue%2CauthType%3ANAME_SEARCH

I knew that Orlagh was just on Sundays for a while, but a series of confusing posts made me think she was now gone completely - it could have been just me! I confused not being on Fridays (which I knew) with not being on at all! It didn't help that another poster confirmed my mistaken suspicions.

Sorry for causing confusion! I don't get up until at least 9:30 on a Sunday and I didn't know RiRa was still going....Dee Reddy is always on by the time I tune in. So to correct my earlier posts on this topic, Orla is only gone from the Friday night slot I used to listen to. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Horses for courses, but don't find PJ Harvey's singles very good. Bit disappointing really considering alot of her other stuff is decent. but alot of the listeners seem to like it.

I assume record companies push particular releases on stations to play?

I assume record companies push particular releases on stations to play?

OH yes.

TXFM have been a sucker for it. Plugging the same songs once an hour in some cases.

If you do an interview with TXFM they practically put your song on repeat.

Record companies will give the station tickets & CDs among others to get their band's single out there.

Win-win relationship for both i guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭I wear socks

People were constantly complaining that txfm was too mainstream and ****e but then when it's announced that its closing down, people say it's the greatest music station in Ireland.

People were constantly complaining that txfm was too mainstream and ****e but then when it's announced that its closing down, people say it's the greatest music station in Ireland.

I haven't seen one post here saying it's the greatest.

You can miss something without being unequivocally in love with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

It might not be the greatest, but it may well be the most important.

I like this Dusseldorf song. Band are called Teleman.

Canadel wrote: »

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Is it just me or has Cathal improved since the announcement?
    Pressure is off and he's flying it.

Is it just me or has Cathal improved since the announcement?
    Pressure is off and he's flying it.

I always really enjoyed him and his show, but yes, he's taken everything up a notch since the announcement. Between the heavy rotation songs, he's really way more experimental. And he's somehow managing to sound even more cheerful than usual, probably because like you said, the pressure is off. I do think it's a pity he ditched the Funge 500 though....someone texted in this morning about it and he said he dropped it seeing as we won't get to see it through to the end now, but I'd like to have seen it continue....but maybe because of the fact that he's playing what might be his favourite stuff now anyway, it's not needed as much. He's definitely playing stuff now he never played before.
    He's also facilitating more requests from what I can see....someone texted in earlier looking for a lesser-played David Bowie track from Aladdin Sane....no problem.
    I would love to see Cathal go on to great things. He definitely has something about him as a presenter. I think it's like someone said before - he's not the most polished presenter there, but he's authentic. (And he's a lot more polished than I would be at that hour of the morning! A bit of stumbling over words is nothing at 7 a.m...I wouldn't even be able to speak at that time.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Canadel wrote: »
    It might not be the greatest, but it may well be the most important.

Teleman's first album is great, particularly the single "Cristina"

Advertisement