Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Twizzler wrote: »
    I always really enjoyed him and his show, but yes, he's taken everything up a notch since the announcement. Between the heavy rotation songs, he's really way more experimental. And he's somehow managing to sound even more cheerful than usual, probably because like you said, the pressure is off. I do think it's a pity he ditched the Funge 500 though....someone texted in this morning about it and he said he dropped it seeing as we won't get to see it through to the end now, but I'd like to have seen it continue....but maybe because of the fact that he's playing what might be his favourite stuff now anyway, it's not needed as much. He's definitely playing stuff now he never played before.
    He's also facilitating more requests from what I can see....someone texted in earlier looking for a lesser-played David Bowie track from Aladdin Sane....no problem.
    I would love to see Cathal go on to great things. He definitely has something about him as a presenter. I think it's like someone said before - he's not the most polished presenter there, but he's authentic. (And he's a lot more polished than I would be at that hour of the morning! A bit of stumbling over words is nothing at 7 a.m...I wouldn't even be able to speak at that time.)

I have noticed the change in Cathal Funge too. I would say that increasingly, as time goes on (and it moves nearer to the end), the daytime presenters are going to get more adventurous - just like Phantom the pirate!

It would be great to see Cathal getting a radio gig post-TXFM. The problem is where? He clearly is passionate about his music and would not fit into the normal play-listed style of radio, and don't forget there will not be a specific alternative music radio station on FM for some time afterwards (if ever - hopefully eventually).

If he wants to get paid, all I can think of is an Irish Content (Icon!) rock show on Today FM or some local radio station or, as a long shot, Radio Nova. If it is about the music and not the money, maybe he might get a gig on Dublin City FM or go digital with RTE's 2XM (where ex-Phantom colleague Ray McGowan is already!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Let's not go mad here, it's not like they've started playing Einsturzende Neubauten or something.
    It's still pretty much the Blur/Muse/Foo Fighters Best Of on rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Fair play, been nothing but Prince since news of his death came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Birneybau wrote: »

Yeah it's great since 6 last night.

They did the same for Bowie too. Wonder how that works with licenses an stuff, would they have to pay more for playing one artists music for nearly 24hours?

But I know in work here all the radios are tuned to TXFM for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I really enjoyed Cathal Funge's show this morning .. great Prince tracks.

• Advertisement

They did the same for Bowie too. Wonder how that works with licenses an stuff, would they have to pay more for playing one artists music for nearly 24hours?

I'm sure at the moment they don't really give a sh!t. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'm sure at the moment they don't really give a sh!t. :)

Haha ah yeah, just a wonderment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

I think smaller stations juat get audited for a few days a month and pay based on that, but then again its going to a record company not the artist, and theres few record companies around these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

You could hear the heartbreak in Kelly Anne Byrnes voice last night after the announcement of prince. Highlighted the genuine passion these guys have for their job. Gonna miss that

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

They're still playing the same playlisted songs over and over. How many times do we have to hear The Sh1tz or Beach Baby a day?? Just because they're wrapping up soon, it doesn't mean they should play the same songs on repeat every single day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Cathal playing Nine Inch Nails at 8.36am on a Thursday morning...

The man has lost the plot compared to 2 months ago!

It's great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Got "Shoplifters of the World" at 8:20. Nice to hear something other than Panic or Ask

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Daft Punks 'Robot Rock' this morning and Electric 6 'High Voltage' got me awake at around 7:30am! :D

I haven't heard Robot Rock on any radio since it came out. Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Cathal playing Nine Inch Nails at 8.36am on a Thursday morning...

The man has lost the plot compared to 2 months ago!

It's great!!

I'm loving the new Cathal! He's like a man let off a leash!

It's a shame they still have to have such heavily playlisted songs (kinda have enough of Bullethead, Sleeperhead, etc.), but I'm loving the bits in between.

Not sure if I've got sunstroke, but I could swear I just heard an ad for Nicky Byrne's new album on TXFM....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Not sure if I've got sunstroke, but I could swear I just heard an ad for Nicky Byrne's new album on TXFM....

Who cares if it pays the bills? ;)

LEIN wrote: »
    Who cares if it pays the bills? ;)

I can only assume it's a 'two for the price of one' thing with Today FM, cos it'd be one hell of a waste of money on this station otherwise! Know your audience and all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

That new Ray LaMontagne song on the playlist truly is a punishing, excrutiating, dreadful drone. A record breaking station switcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Canadel wrote: »
    That new Ray LaMontagne song on the playlist truly is a punishing, excrutiating, dreadful drone. A record breaking station switcher.

i thought all Ray LaMundane's songs were like this.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just heard it!
    Followed by an ad for The Last Shadow Puppet gig...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭RAKM

Just found this thread so haven't read through it all. What is the word on what will happen to the licence when this great station closes? Will someone else bid for it? Can the licence be taken by a completely different genre of music?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RAKM wrote: »
    Just found this thread so haven't read through it all. What is the word on what will happen to the licence when this great station closes? Will someone else bid for it? Can the licence be taken by a completely different genre of music?

It'll likely be readvertised in a number (high) of years. Nobody can apply until readvertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

L1011 wrote: »
    It'll likely be readvertised in a number (high) of years. Nobody can apply until readvertised.

Presumably Simon Maher never applied in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Presumably Simon Maher never applied in the end?

No, the day it was announced it was closing was the end of applications and he hadn't got an application in. Anything after that was reliant on the BAI reopening the process which was unlikely and unprecedented.

Thursday survey, Bruce Springsteen v Kanye West...

I guess I'm out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I guess I'm out again.

Kanye all day every day

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Kanye all day every day

It's like asking if you prefer Manchester United or Cheddar

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It's like asking if you prefer Manchester United or Cheddar

Cheddar

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Cheddar

Cheesy fecker :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

That's quite unfair on Kanye.

Macklemore v Kanye might be more relevant.

Advertisement