Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Missed the launch, and just seen the schedule.
    No R&R, and even more Joe D? Yeah, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard a bit of Parklife with Paul and Johnny this afternoon. They are new to me. By the way, it is not Johnny Lyons from 98FM. There seems to be a lot of time taken up with discussing sports results, especially The Premiership, and only a small amount of music. But I have not been listening all afternoon so I could have the wrong idea.

This is not a patch on Stadium Rock with Richie Ryan. I suppose its early days and all that.

Does anyone know who these two guys are?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I heard a bit of Parklife with Paul and Johnny this afternoon. They are new to me. By the way, it is not Johnny Lyons from 98FM. There seems to be a lot of time taken up with discussing sports results, especially The Premiership, and only a small amount of music. But I have not been listening all afternoon so I could have the wrong idea.

This is not a patch on Stadium Rock with Richie Ryan. I suppose its early days and all that.

here you are ...

Paul Lynskey
    @pablolynskano
    Presenter and Producer of Parklife @TXFMdublin ...ex Frq Sports Saturday host/producer, ex Spin1038/Plan B helper outer

Johnny Cullen
    @Johnny_San_Siro
    Digital Client Manager in Starcom, @TXFMDublin Sports Broadcaster, Amateur Golfer with a tendency to think I'm a pro.Johnny.Cullen@txfm.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Did i speak too soon........listening last night...Orange juice, Rip it up..then Bryan Ferry..cant remember song.....just now driving home....Orange Juice, Rip it up....then Bryan Ferry........sorry am i repeating myself.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

only caught a bit of the first hour of the Pogo show earlier, but absolutely loved it. the interview with Kink was good and nice to have the songs he was talking about mixed in to break it up.
    the 2 lads are a bit "amateur pirate radio", but the tunes were great, so doesn't matter really, sounded like they were enjoying themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I'm hear some pop on this station now.

not so much alternative or rock

I mean I hear the 1970 - chocolate !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Tuned in today. Pretty poor show to the point of being boring. Ryan had the right balance between music and sport. He had the credibility of sporting knowledge and a great ability of being able to keep the pace so not to piss off non sports fans. The management would do well to reconsider their decision to axe Stadium Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

After a few days of popping in and out, I think bland would be the best description of it.

"Hi I'm [presenter name], you're listening to TXFM 1052, here's a song from [band name]"
    *boring song from a band formed 5 minutes ago*
    *boring new single from a band you didn't realise were still releasing stuff*
    *one of Pretzel Body Logic/Jake Bug/John Grant/Kodaline*
    *boring song from a band formed 5 minutes ago*

Admittedly I haven't listened to much of the evening shows

Yeah... it's very boring. Doesn't have the same buzz as Phantom.

I have to admit. Cathal in the morning is just way too dull. I wasn't really into Joe and Keith's "bants", but Richie, Michelle, Charlotte etc in the morning had it down to a tee. Perfect mix...

I think Cathal is a good DJ and plays good stuff, but he's just not suited to morning time. I've constantly found myself switching over from him to Newstalk! Must be getting old ;)

Just heard Richie McCormack doing the sports news on Newstalk. It would be great if "Off The Ball" added Richie... Knows his sport as well as music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I listened to Paul and Johnny over the weekend. They sound like they're about 15 and it came across like I was eavesdropping some lads chatting on the bus rather than a professional radio show.

I'm really confused as to the point of the relaunch. They've kept the unpopular playlisted music and got rid of the well-liked unplaylisted shows. They fired popular presenters and replaced them with inexperienced/boring presenters

It's like they've taken all the good bits from Phantom and kept the crap bits. I guarantee there's some accountant running the station behind the scenes, only interested in paying the lowest amount of royalties and getting the cheapest presenters available.

I've not heard Pogo or Niallers show but I've heard they're actually alright though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I briefly heard another new presenter last night on "The Set List" - Paul Walsh. Anybody know anything about him? He was okay, by the way.

• Advertisement

I listened to Paul and Johnny over the weekend. They sound like they're about 15 and it came across like I was eavesdropping some lads chatting on the bus rather than a professional radio show.

Yeah....almost embarrassed for them....Why certain stations feel the need to do sports shows or any talking is beyond me....i just love music too much it seems...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

Just heard Richie McCormack doing the sports news on Newstalk. It would be great if "Off The Ball" added Richie... Knows his sport as well as music.

Heard him this morning at 6.30. I suppose he'll be there for while.

Could be good to see him on OTB. Not a huge fan of Parkinson

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Saruwatari wrote: »
    The boss switched over to the station today in time for Joe Donnelly's show, pretty well surprised with the playlist! I mean still a lot of current ****e like all those sappy indie rock acts but the likes of Dinosaur Jr., Kurt Vile, Bjork and Leftfield well make up for it!

Hilarious that he sounds like he doesn't have a clue who most of them are. Like reading it off the back of a shampoo bottle. Does not deserve the job.
    I'm really confused as to the point of the relaunch. They've kept the unpopular playlisted music and got rid of the well-liked unplaylisted shows. They fired popular presenters and replaced them with inexperienced/boring presenters

h

Point of the rebrand - to ensure they keep the liscense and a new station doesn't get it and take listeners away from today fm / newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 big5tevo

Wowsers guys paul and johnny giving some amazeballs sports updates on the airways. Next dunphy and giles? ......ye i think so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I briefly heard another new presenter last night on "The Set List" - Paul Walsh. Anybody know anything about him? He was okay, by the way.

Is he the guy who was the lead singer of Royseven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I've got to say I'm really enjoying the new sound on TXFM. I also think Joe has found his niche on Drivetime. There's a nice soft sound coming from the station. The output sounds great.

Yeah..i quite like him the more i listen..not too much banter and he's been playing some decent tunes too....even the spot with JC is the right amount of longness...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KevHurley

I'm still listening anyway. One thing they could do is stop playing that song "best day of my life". A boyband song is a boyband song no matter where the band had their origins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

KevHurley wrote: »
    I'm still listening anyway. One thing they could do is stop playing that song "best day of my life". A boyband song is a boyband song no matter where the band had their origins!!

American Authors. They're getting endless flak for it too, oughta just drop it from the bloody playlist. I hate all that 'pop with guitars' ****e.

Anyone know what Ride song was played earlier today on the Drive show?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

lordgoat wrote: »
    Hilarious that he sounds like he doesn't have a clue who most of them are. Like reading it off the back of a shampoo bottle. Does not deserve the job.

Talking about the new song from the band tUnE-yArDs yesterday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Saruwatari wrote: »
    American Authors. They're getting endless flak for it too, oughta just drop it from the bloody playlist. I hate all that 'pop with guitars' ****e.

Anyone know what Ride song was played earlier today on the Drive show?

I am really starting to despair with TXFM, if it is true that Joe Donnelly is Musical Director of the station, he is dragging it in the direction of Spin -Emo Style.... My Morning Jacket, American Authors, The 1975, all rubbish, boring lifeless tracks, and way too much RHCP. Same songs in.every DJ segment, so the playlist is extremely limited, and seeing as they have absolutely awful songs on this list, I think that despite trying to persevere and give it a chance, TXFM is off the dial in my car, in my house and in work....

I miss John Caddell during the day, and the two Richies are a huge loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Phantom was just as sh1te for the last 3 years though tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

thalia_13 wrote: »
    I am really starting to despair with TXFM, if it is true that Joe Donnelly is Musical Director of the station, he is dragging it in the direction of Spin -Emo Style....

Heard it's the Music Dir from Today that's picking the choons. Unfortunately. TX FM or TXFM is sailing into irrelevance.

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Heard it's the Music Dir from Today that's picking the choons. Unfortunately. TX FM or TXFM is sailing into irrelevance.

Isnt that how Nova started.now look at ..

Its still shyte.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭turnback

I agree with ghostdancer. And the Ritchie Ritchie thing.. no other station had the need to have a bantering two lads (who weren't funny) at 8pm trying to ridicule current events and failing. It turned into Top Gear FM. Phantom used to be (6 months ago) 'cool' 'indie' music that people 'loved', and now it's been taken over by larger music people with even more corporate ideas about where music is going or used to be.

Anyway the 'underground' music everybody seems to love so much is extremely well engineered too, and I don't mean sound-wise.

Give me John Creedon anyday.

turnback wrote: »
    I agree with ghostdancer. And the Ritchie Ritchie thing.. no other station had the need to have a bantering two lads (who weren't funny) at 8pm trying to ridicule current events and failing. It turned into Top Gear FM. Phantom used to be (6 months ago) 'cool' 'indie' music that people 'loved', and now it's been taken over by larger music people with even more corporate ideas about where music is going or used to be.

Anyway the 'underground' music everybody seems to love so much is extremely well engineered too, and I don't mean sound-wise.

Give me John Creedon anyday.

Don't remember RnR doing current events, I do remember them talking about interesting music though.

In relation to TXFM I've stopped listening, it's too boring now. Rather listen to Newstalk. I'm even keeping George Hook on! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I haven't been able to leave TXFM on for more than a couple of songs as the repetitive nature of the playlist is too much. A lot of very bland new music being pushed.

foreign wrote: »
    Don't remember RnR doing current events, I do remember them talking about interesting music though.

In relation to TXFM I've stopped listening, it's too boring now. Rather listen to Newstalk. I'm even keeping George Hook on! :o

Never have or will listen to Newstalk....seriously is it just talking about the news all day..???.....my idea of hell

Sounds like id rather be deaf ............:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

thalia_13 wrote: »
    Same songs in every DJ segment, so the playlist is extremely limited
    the repetitive nature of the playlist is too much

Phantom's playlist was not as short or as repetitive as TXFM's is. I woke up at 7.30am on Tuesday. I listened until 8am then left for work. I came home later. Switched on from 8pm-8.30pm. Heard two of the same songs.

• Advertisement

Never have or will listen to Newstalk....seriously is it just talking about the news all day..???.....my idea of hell

Sounds like id rather be deaf ............:pac:

Most of the day. I used to listen to Phantom Breakfast, then Newstalk from 10 - 4.30 then back to Phantom for Clare and RnR.

Advertisement