Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Twizzler wrote: »
    Cathal is that perfect mix of upbeat enough, but not manic in the morning. I was dying of a hangover the morning after Irl V Italy, and I couldn't tolerate anything or anyone - yet I was able to listen to Cathal.

Yeah ,he's like yer mammy bringing you you breakfast in bed when youre poorly....:)

marwelie wrote: »
    Cathal played John Grant GMF this morning. I nearly fell out of bed. QUOTE]

maybe he likes JG....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Clem_Fandango

Big Nasty wrote: »
    They seem to get a lot of revenue out of the festival season so should be around until then hopefully.

HOW exactly do they get revenue from festival season?

Aaand begin...

marwelie wrote: »
    Cathal played John Grant GMF this morning. I nearly fell out of bed. They should abandon the playlist and play whatever the hell they like now. Whats the worst that can happen? That they could be sacked?

So you mean why doesn't the head of music just program the RCS with whatever he wants?

Ummm...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

HOW exactly do they get revenue from festival season?

Aaand begin...

Eh, ads.

Eh, ads.

I will remain polite.

I don't think you have a clear understanding of how radio ads are packaged and sold.

I'll work off of the assumption (I know I know) that you are referring to the actual festivals. They really must need help shifting tickets to put out radio ads. Sure, the gig guy with super sub ticks that box for free anyway.

As Q3 is ending in 2 days, so do the 3 month ad contracts and they would be up for renewal.
    I don't think companies are forming a queue to drop money on something that could seemingly be put down at the drop of a hat.

I'm not alone in thinking this. TXFM just dropped all weeknight specialty programming outside of primetime. It's no coincidence that it coincides with the start of Q4. Am gonna hazard a guess that the renewal rate was fairly low bc there is no public knowledge of an exact finish date.

With little or no direct ad revenue streaming in, it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain tertiary programming. Simples.

Rebut if you want but I would like to hear what companies you think have ads paid for, made, and scheduled for rotation.

• Advertisement

If you listen to the station they are constantly plugging Longitude and giving away tickets each show. Normally do the same for most festivals. I don't claim to know a lot about these things but I very much doubt they do this out of the goodness of their hearts.

If you listen to the station they are constantly plugging Longitude and giving away tickets each show. Normally do the same for most festivals. I don't claim to know a lot about these things but I very much doubt they do this out of the goodness of their hearts.

Tickets are Quid Pro Quo.

I wouldn't think that a lot of money changes hands if any.

Festival gives tickets, or more likely guest list, to stations in numbers.

Stations do giveways to keep listeners on the hook.

Stations look good and the festival gets the plug.

It's straightforward, no muss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

I will remain polite.

I don't think you have a clear understanding of how radio ads are packaged and sold.

I'll work off of the assumption (I know I know) that you are referring to the actual festivals. They really must need help shifting tickets to put out radio ads. Sure, the gig guy with super sub ticks that box for free anyway.

As Q3 is ending in 2 days, so do the 3 month ad contracts and they would be up for renewal.
    I don't think companies are forming a queue to drop money on something that could seemingly be put down at the drop of a hat.

I'm not alone in thinking this. TXFM just dropped all weeknight specialty programming outside of primetime. It's no coincidence that it coincides with the start of Q4. Am gonna hazard a guess that the renewal rate was fairly low bc there is no public knowledge of an exact finish date.

With little or no direct ad revenue streaming in, it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain tertiary programming. Simples.

Rebut if you want but I would like to hear what companies you think have ads paid for, made, and scheduled for rotation.

You're a Q out

paulbok wrote: »
    You're a Q out

typos. \apols

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you have DAB or listen via the internet, 2XM is always worth a listen.

just looking at the show descriptions on the site, this looks far more up my street than TXFM. it must be quite a while since I last checked the schedule.
    http://2xm.rte.ie/schedule/

playlist is much more interesting and experimental than TXFM's too.
    http://2xm.rte.ie/playlist/

could definitely see Derek Byrne and Nialler9 fitting in well here, and I see former Phantom presenters Laura-Lee Conboy and Ray McGowan on there, can't remember if Dan Hegarty had a Phantom show too or if his was elsewhere?

might have to upgrade the old CD/tape/radio unit in the kitchen for listening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

just looking at the show descriptions on the site, this looks far more up my street than TXFM. it must be quite a while since I last checked the schedule.
    http://2xm.rte.ie/schedule/

playlist is much more interesting and experimental than TXFM's too.
    http://2xm.rte.ie/playlist/

could definitely see Derek Byrne and Nialler9 fitting in well here, and I see former Phantom presenters Laura-Lee Conboy and Ray McGowan on there, can't remember if Dan Hegarty had a Phantom show too or if his was elsewhere?

might have to upgrade the old CD/tape/radio unit in the kitchen for listening!

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I never really considered it because the online element really turns me off....more of a wireless in the corner of the room person, which is why I couldn't really run with 8Radio....but it's certainly worth investigating, and there's a DAB radio for sale in Argos for €59 if it's any good. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Dan Hegarty did start at Phantom. Had a show on Saturday afternoon in the pirate days.

For all its faults, I'm gonna miss TXFM especially in the car and at work where it's been the station on choice thankfully for a few months. The rest are so so bad. I think the best thing about Phantom/TXFM apart from the sort of music they play is that the, for the most part, seem to credit their listeners with some level of intelligence. The other stations might not repeat the same songs during a day but they play the same songs every day for months or years on end. TX play a lot of new music and repeat it a lot but at least it's refreshed often enough.

It'll be ipod in the car for me and 6Music/2XM/8Radio at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

house of pain this morning. loved it.. me being a big fan (as you can tell from the username)

everlast75 wrote: »
    house of pain this morning. loved it.. me being a big fan (as you can tell from the username)

You're 75..?.......:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think it's been mentioned before, but Dublin City FM 'LiveDrive' show during rush hours is a great traffic update service and play some great music.
    Sometimes it's better than TXFM!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Aphex twin on at 4pm! Sweet!

That chap from Metronomy was dire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

That chap from Metronomy was dire

He seemed stoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

LEIN wrote: »
    He seemed stoned.

Didn't hear him, tuned in at 4. Don't like his new tune much. Sounds like Tiga in 2003.

The main man is back.

• Advertisement

He seemed stoned.

He's so chillaxed mannnn....:rolleyes:

Was there a meeting about the closure lately..Claire mentioned the closure as did Joe...they seemed a bit down today IMO...not looking forward to the TXIT....

He's so chillaxed mannnn....:rolleyes:

Was there a meeting about the closure lately..Claire mentioned the closure as did Joe...they seemed a bit down today IMO...not looking forward to the TXIT....

Didn't hear, was there a date mentioned?

Didn't hear, was there a date mentioned?

Claire mentioned something about "being around till October."..i could be wrong

Kelly Anne & Nialler9 doing their last shows tonight. :(

Im just so pi$$ed off about this..short of winning the euro millions and paying to keep the station going myself theres nothing we can do to stop this...Are Dublin listeners so fcuking boring these days..is Nove what people want, is it just (us) old people that listen to the radio now..???

Claire mentioned something about "being around till October."..i could be wrong

Cathal and Joe seem adamant that they're there until Oct...I don't hear Claire's show all that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

I missed Nialler 9s show last night due to the Portugal / Polski borefest- twas his last I read..
    Will miss him on the FM dial
    Great final tracklist- pity hr 3 wasn't recorded
    http://http://nialler9.com/listen-back-to-second-last-nialler9-show-on-txfm/
    He'll surely get snapped up by another station now?

Twizzler wrote: »
    Cathal and Joe seem adamant that they're there until Oct...I don't hear Claire's show all that often.

I like Claire..good mix ,although theres a bit too much hiphop/dance/new disco stuff in there, but still i'm openminded...used to switch to GG on Nova..but i've tired of AC/DC, Foreigner same tracks over and over...with a bit of Radiohead thrown in...:rolleyes:

room_149 wrote: »
    I missed Nialler 9s show last night due to the Portugal / Polski borefest- twas his last I read..
    Will miss him on the FM dial
    Great final tracklist- pity hr 3 wasn't recorded
    http://http://nialler9.com/listen-back-to-second-last-nialler9-show-on-txfm/
    He'll surely get snapped up by another station now?

I heard it from 11 to 1. Last hour was truly cracking alright! He also sounded like he was really enjoying it himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

last Transmission tonight with Derek Byrne, probably my favourite presenter/show on Irish radio :(

Advertisement