Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Are they closing this weekend? Load of people doing their last shows?

EDIT:

As I type that I found this...

https://twitter.com/TaraHarrisonDub/status/748980061991268353

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Was that John Cadell's last show tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Was that John Cadell's last show tonight?

Not according to the schedule posted above.

LEIN wrote: »
    Not according to the schedule posted above.

I keep forgetting about the weekend schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Im just so pi$$ed off about this..short of winning the euro millions and paying to keep the station going myself theres nothing we can do to stop this...Are Dublin listeners so fcuking boring these days..is Nove what people want, is it just (us) old people that listen to the radio now..???

It's my kids I worry for! What future do they have now???

My 3 year old in the kitchen dancing to the Macarrana? Or whatever is hip in pop culture now........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Nova's licence is for "classic rock", they fulfil that remit nicely but they're never going to be an indie station.

Just thought i'd drag this up considering the situation..Nova plugging Little green cars yesterday..hardly classic rock....;)

I just fear that Joe and Cathal might be given some obscure time slot that wont do them any favors on 98 or spin..or god forbid Joe on newstalk again..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Nice nod to Caroline Aherne this morning after the 8am news.... the weather was 'scorchio clip' then followed up with Oasis 'Half the world Away'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Just thought i'd drag this up considering the situation..Nova plugging Little green cars yesterday..hardly classic rock....;)

I just fear that Joe and Cathal might be given some obscure time slot that wont do them any favors on 98 or spin..or god forbid Joe on newstalk again..

I wouldn't describe Little Green Cars as indie or alternative either

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

First night of playlisted music from 7 (although they did have a David Bowie show on from 7 to 8). Strange getting used to it.
    Paul's ad for Weekend Wakeup from 7 am is on now....that's gone since last Sat, and he has a show on from 10 to 12 instead from this Saturday. They better look at their playlisted ads!
    Actually, if Kelly-Anne did leave last week off her own bat (which makes sense, when she has 2 shows on Today FM every weekend now), you'd think they'd have got someone in to do this evening slot for the remainder of the time....surely it couldn't have cost that much more. Paul has been very flexible about covering shifts, so you'd imagine he'd be interested in it. He's still working for the station anyway at the weekends, so they could have shifted things around a bit.
    Update: Just remembered someone said they heard KA saying she left cos of her DJing and other slots. So if they were assuming she was still in when they were planning on getting rid of the night slots and some weekend slots, and had budgeted for her being there, why not replace her if there was a willing candidate? Even keeping it going until 10 with a DJ would make a difference.

What then IYO are they...??...and dont say sh1te....!!
    Theyre played all the time on TX...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Twizzler wrote: »
    First night of playlisted music from 7 (although they did have a David Bowie show on from 7 to 8). Strange getting used to it.
    Paul's ad for Weekend Wakeup from 7 am is on now....that's gone since last Sat, and he has a show on from 10 to 12 instead from this Saturday. They better look at their playlisted ads!

The ads must just run in some sort of order throughout the day, but they'll have to remove that one so.

They're still playing Longitude triple-plays during this 'Overnight Music'. Still playing the same songs by Lucius, Pleasure Beach, Chvrches, over and over again.

I can't wait for Longitude to be over and done with. If they do the same for EP, I honestly hope they actually look through the line up and play different artists. Not that difficult really.

Liam92 wrote: »
    The ads must just run in some sort of order throughout the day, but they'll have to remove that one so.

They're still playing Longitude triple-plays during this 'Overnight Music'. Still playing the same songs by Lucius, Pleasure Beach, Chvrches, over and over again.

I can't wait for Longitude to be over and done with. If they do the same for EP, I honestly hope they actually look through the line up and play different artists. Not that difficult really.

My head is melted from those triple plays as well. It's the only part of the shows I don't look forward to.

Twizzler wrote: »
    My head is melted from those triple plays as well. It's the only part of the shows I don't look forward to.

If it meant we'd get another year of TX i'd put up with them....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

What are they then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

What then IYO are they...??...and dont say sh1te....!!
    Theyre played all the time on TX...
    What are they then?

I'd class them as pretty 'middle of the road' rock. The sort of band you could easily hear on TXFM, Nova and the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show all on the same day without batting an eyelid.

I don't really know why Max Headroom brought them up tbh.

If it meant we'd get another year of TX i'd put up with them....:o

True, I guess! Just a pity they don't diversify the songs a bit more. It'd be a great chance to showcase some of the artists' lesser known tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I had hoped someone would have swooped in and saved TXFM by now. There is a market for an indie station out there, just need to attract it...I think an indie station serving the major cities of Dublin/Galway/Cork/Waterford, if it was marketed and run properly, would prosper! It would compete with Nova but it could offer a completely different product if run properly similar to 96.5 The Buzz stateside.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Clem_Fandango

IUA14 wrote: »
    I had hoped someone would have swooped in and saved TXFM by now. There is a market for an indie station out there, just need to attract it...I think an indie station serving the major cities of Dublin/Galway/Cork/Waterford, if it was marketed and run properly, would prosper! It would compete with Nova but it could offer a completely different product if run properly similar to 96.5 The Buzz stateside.

Doubtful,

As the JNLR's have proven, there's a reach of about 19K people... that's hardly a massive crowd

Doubtful,

As the JNLR's have proven, there's a reach of about 19K people... that's hardly a massive crowd

Hardly suprising with the playlist the jox were stuck with.....Nova have a stringent playlist, but it shows that their listeners are boring old rockers with rose tinted bi-focals and fading memories...(self included :o)....

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

IUA14 wrote: »

There was a very short piece in the business supplement of The Sunday Times at the weekend saying the BAI will look at the licence situation again towards the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

petejmk wrote: »
    There was a very short piece in the business supplement of The Sunday Times at the weekend saying the BAI will look at the licence situation again towards the end of the year.

and in the mean time, the current station will have switched off. they had plenty of time to look at it. what's the bets they thought they would get applicants dispite the licence having to many expectations and being to restrictive? a community of interest licence is the only way an alternative/indi station is going to have a chance of working now (in fact it was the only chance such a station was ever going to survive in hindsight) . i'm surprised the BAI being the financial experts that they are didn't realise that niche stations can't be run like full service ILRS but we are where we are.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

and in the mean time, the current station will have switched off. they had plenty of time to look at it. what's the bets they thought they would get applicants dispite the licence having to many expectations and being to restrictive? a community of interest licence is the only way an alternative/indi station is going to have a chance of working now (in fact it was the only chance such a station was ever going to survive in hindsight) . i'm surprised the BAI being the financial experts that they are didn't realise that niche stations can't be run like full service ILRS but we are where we are.

Completely agree. There were a few words attributed to Simon Maher saying he was surprised BAI had not re-examined it and that a niche station could employee 3 or 4 people and be a success.

Hardly suprising with the playlist the jox were stuck with.....Nova have a stringent playlist, but it shows that their listeners are boring old rockers with rose tinted bi-focals and fading memories...(self included :o)....

Hang on. Don't blame the "jocks" so much as the genre. Indie Rock started dying when Dashboard started skipping mass, Isaac Brock got a big head, Oasis (eh, I thought you said 'indie' - SHuRRUP YE) went to the birds and some frozen simia were classed as top brow working class poetry. Using measurable standards, i.e. unit sales, Coldplay and U2 are the GODS OF ROCK. Gas, right. I KNOW!

In the last 2 decades the music industry's income 'stream' has ben halved.

Or, if you want to use some barometer, like, oh, I dunno, the TripleJ hot 100 over the last 20 years, you can see that Rock songs charted at 34.5% of the list in '93 and only 12% of the list in 2011. And those were the Foo Fighters & Arctic Monkeys salad days.

On the other hand, as far as I know, the main playlist is done by the head of music and the "jocks" can pepper it a bit with approval, but if someone is the department head then surely they have final say within the remit of "alternative".

Does anyone know, or has it been posted already, the years that are in bounds, the percentage of Irish music needed to satisfy the BAI license and all the other little restrictions? I'd say it's a hard slog to put a playlist together within those confines. BUT, a bigger pool of songs might've been the trick. Dunno. Whatcha reckon?

Wasnt blaming the jox mate...their hands are tied, Is'nt Caddell programme director..??..never liked him,he sounds smug.. dont know him but i'd say he's a bit of a "my way or the hiway" type....could be wrong though..:)
    Theres plenty of Irish musis out there, enough to fill a 24/7 schedule..they just need to delve a bit deeper that The Stunning,Lizzy,U2 etc...

Wasnt blaming the jox mate...their hands are tied, Is'nt Caddell programme director..??..never liked him,he sounds smug.. dont know him but i'd say he's a bit of a "my way or the hiway" type....could be wrong though..:)
    Theres plenty of Irish musis out there, enough to fill a 24/7 schedule..they just need to delve a bit deeper that The Stunning,Lizzy,U2 etc...

Fair point, but I think it best t'keep it professional. It could be a personae that you either like or dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Seriously, I have been a fan of Phantom/TXFM since day one. Its not always to my liking but I can listen to it during work and in the car. If its wrecking my head I turn off the radio or listen to Newstalk. I'm not that old either. Radio Nova is so goddamn awful.

Thank god I got a car with a jack connector. Its Tunein Radio all the way for me baby!

On a different level...it is a good station and I will be sorry to see all the DJ,s that made it so diluted into other poxy stations.

FM104,98FM SPIN et al should all banned from the airwaves due to crimes to humanity.

Dave Grohl doing a show on TX right now! Although he keeps saying Serious? :eek: Sent him in a few requests but he hasn't played any so far. :mad:

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Dave Grohl doing a show on TX right now! Although he keeps saying Serious? :eek: Sent him in a few requests but he hasn't played any so far. :mad:

Heard a bit of his show last night..found his voice irratating after a while....3 minutes..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

• Advertisement

I did not know that..thanks..;)

Advertisement