Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Listened to Dj-matic 3000 this morning until 10am when Paul Donegal came on. It's actually pretty decent music. Seems to be less of the regular stuff you hear during the week, might not be all bad until October.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Listened to Dj-matic 3000 this morning until 10am when Paul Donegal came on. It's actually pretty decent music. Seems to be less of the regular stuff you hear during the week, might not be all bad until October.

Too little too late me thinks..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

I've been leaving it on late at night (up until tonight, when I thought I should experiment - more on that anon) and found a lot of little gems in there amid the regular stuff.

So, tonight I figured I should give Nova a go. You might remember I said before that my experience with Nova has been limited - and mostly negative. Bon Jovi-esque etc. - just not my scene. But I listened in from 7 to 9 tonight (cos I figure I better line up an actual wireless alternative - I will do online and apps etc., but I do like my physical radio) and it was actually decent! Stone Roses-focused due to the gig and lots of TX-esque stuff. So my question is - is this new? And more associated questions - is it just the show I was listening to (some Devlin dude), are the evening shows a bit more experimental in the way the TX ones were, or are Nova channelling their inner indie cos of the impending gap in the market? Any thoughts?

Twizzler wrote: »
    So, tonight I figured I should give Nova a go. You might remember I said before that my experience with Nova has been limited - and mostly negative. Bon Jovi-esque etc. - just not my scene. But I listened in from 7 to 9 tonight (cos I figure I better line up an actual wireless alternative - I will do online and apps etc., but I do like my physical radio) and it was actually decent! Stone Roses-focused due to the gig and lots of TX-esque stuff. So my question is - is this new? And more associated questions - is it just the show I was listening to (some Devlin dude), are the evening shows a bit more experimental in the way the TX ones were, or are Nova channelling their inner indie cos of the impending gap in the market? Any thoughts?

I've said this before, as a listener to both stations i've found Nova for a long time now to be playing way more indie/alt stuff than a "classic" rock station should, especially during the day...i'm guessing that they're probably more responsible for the TX closure than one might think... they'll be picking at the bones until october....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

That's Peter Devlin - one half of the Devlins. He presents on Saturday evenings with his own particular mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

There has always been significant overlap with TXFM playlists. Phantom/TX have always leaned heavily on classic rock, you're as likely to hear David Bowie or Cream on TXFM as on Nova. The Roses might be "indie" but their first album is also 27 years old...

There has always been significant overlap with TXFM playlists. Phantom/TX have always leaned heavily on classic rock, you're as likely to hear David Bowie or Cream on TXFM as on Nova. The Roses might be "indie" but their first album is also 27 years old...

Less likely to hear cream and Bowie 27 times a week on tx, and very little in the way of introducing new Irish music during day time radio.

Apart from the heavy classic rock playlist, the dj's cheesey presenting styles won't have me switching to nova

That's Peter Devlin - one half of the Devlins. He presents on Saturday evenings with his own particular mix.

Oh, that's interesting. I really liked the Devlins back in the day. Didn't make the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Less likely to hear cream and Bowie 27 times a week on tx, and very little in the way of introducing new Irish music during day time radio.

Apart from the heavy classic rock playlist, the dj's cheesey presenting styles won't have me switching to nova

God, I hate yer man Marty Miller's voice.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking more like this...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mcKzDwm8_o

That moment when you hear the jingle for Longitude Triple Play and you just know that THAT Pleasure Beach song is coming seconds later.....
    Nearly there!

That moment when you hear the jingle for Longitude Triple Play and you just know that THAT Pleasure Beach song is coming seconds later.....
    Nearly there!

Just getting sick of the ad now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Like many others, I swapped over to Nova one evening during the week.
    At first, I was taken aback! Some classic Bowie, Stone Roses... Oasis.....

Ok, I can deal with this.

Then Genesis came on...

/smashes radio

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

I've been listening to BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 after 7pm on the iPlayer Radio App (which is great).

Annie Mac and Jo Whiley are making up for the absence of Kelly-Anne in the evenings.

No Longitude triple-plays to be heard. Hurrah!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Like many others, I swapped over to Nova one evening during the week.
    At first, I was taken aback! Some classic Bowie, Stone Roses... Oasis.....

Ok, I can deal with this.

Then Genesis came on...

/smashes radio

Genesis may not be the height of cool, for some, but I'd still rather listen to them than the utter tosh they play on the likes of Today FM or Spin.

Liam92 wrote: »
    I've been listening to BBC Radio 1 and Radio 2 after 7pm on the iPlayer Radio App (which is great).

Annie Mac and Jo Whiley are making up for the absence of Kelly-Anne in the evenings.

Comparing Jo to Kelly is like comparing Marty Miller to John Peel.....no offence Kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Comparing Jo to Kelly is like comparing Marty Miller to John Peel.....no offence Kelly

I'm sure Kelly would be delighted to be likened to John Peel. Not sure Jo Whiley would appreciate the Marty Miller comparison though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Seems we have a 'talking over records person' in Shelley Green. Nothing worse.

Still playing longitude triple play right now!

Is this a thing until October?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There's still tickets available for Sunday so will go on until then I'd imagine.

AHHH MANNN...when is it on..............:P

Liam92 wrote: »

I'm sure Kelly would be delighted to be likened to John Peel. Not sure Jo Whiley would appreciate the Marty Miller comparison though.

Someone is not reading this properly!

Ahh Decco....why would you even post this....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

I didn't compare them. Only saying with the app I can listen to Annie and Jo now in the evenings because K-A's show is unfortunately gone.

Have boardies lost their sense of humor......:(

Have boardies lost their sense of humor......:(

Fair point. For my part, I can be a bit over-pedantic at times. It's good to toss out these ideas and thoughts and jokes anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Genesis may not be the height of cool, for some, but I'd still rather listen to them than the utter tosh they play on the likes of Today FM or Spin.
    Had the bizarre situation last week, Wed at lunchtimewhere, Radio 1 were playing The Velvet Underground I'm waiting on the man, and TXFM were playing Paul McCartney, back in the USSR,IIRC.
    Radio 1 won out!

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Had the bizarre situation last week, Wed at lunchtimewhere, Radio 1 were playing The Velvet Underground I'm waiting on the man, and TXFM were playing Paul McCartney, back in the USSR,IIRC.
    Radio 1 won out!

quinkadinkly..i was listening to TX the other day in the van, and (yet another:rolleyes:) Beatles song came on..i swiftly hit the preset for Nova and.....2 door cinema club were playing....classic rock..:confused:

• Advertisement

I wish they'd managed to push the financial boat out to keep someone - anyone! - in the 6 to 9 slot on Saturday nights. 6 is really early to finish transmission. At least we have 9 to 9 on a Sunday, as opposed to only 10 to 6 on a Saturday.

Advertisement