Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

can't say i've ever really noticed the presenters much, probably as I usually turn off within 5 mins as the music on Nova is utterly atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Sitting out in the back garden there...Bell x 1...Pixies x 2, Teenage fan club and The Clash.....after october where am i going to hear this kind of mix again....

:(

I vary between txfm and 6 music. When txfm closes 6 music is where you'll get your alt music fix. I listen to it at work and sometimes in the car through a cassette adaptor (€15 from halfords) connected to my iphone.
    Txfm (Phantom) has been my Irish station of choice for the last 10 years, big loss to see it closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Big Nasty wrote: »
    TBH I'd happily listen to Nova if it wasn't for the 'zany' presenters.

"Zany".......annoying, unfunny,false, etc etc......
    Birneybau wrote: »
    BBC 6Music

Yeah..i like 6, but theyre not consistant to my liking sometimes, they throw up some sh1te weird stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Cathal is still playing a blinder with the music.

Underworld - 'Scribble' this morning. What a song on a Friday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Liam92 wrote: »
    Cathal is still playing a blinder with the music.

Underworld - 'Scribble' this morning. What a song on a Friday morning!

Totally. Couldn't believe he played that earlier (I think it was a request - but hey, no matter, he played it). He threw in a Metallica song on Monday as well in the middle of all the regular stuff.
    It'd be hard to say with Cathal 'These are Cathal's bands'.....he seems to have a very wide-ranging set of tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The Pixies..um chagga lagga....(you know that one with Kenny from South Park :p )...cant help singing "give him a ball and a yard of grass" when it comes on......:o

Heard for the first time this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Kelly Anne Byrne back on Friday evenings with a new show called Sound Atlas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

there used to be Heineken Sound Atlas podcast mixes on their website, pretty sure there was a Phantom DJ that did some, maybe Claire?
    presumably this will be a generic pre-recorded show with no mention of TXFM, as it goes out on iRadio, Beat and Spin over the weekend too.

Flicked over to Nova there - Michael McDonald 'I Keep Forgettin'' was on. Needless to say, I'm back onto playlisted TX now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

threein99 wrote: »
    Anyone have an answer to this ? Was searching around online and couldn't find anything

As I said before, 2xfm usually has a better mix.(useless if you've only got FM access)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Twizzler wrote: »
    Flicked over to Nova there - Michael McDonald 'I Keep Forgettin'' was on. Needless to say, I'm back onto playlisted TX now.

TX played Michael McDonald this morning (well, the Doobie Bros with MMcD on vocals).

loyatemu wrote: »
    TX played Michael McDonald this morning (well, the Doobie Bros with MMcD on vocals).

Nowt wrong with a bit of Mickey Mc......sure wasn't he even in Family guy....anyway better than that Hot chip sh1te....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Whoa, 'Mausoleum', from MSP!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Heard an ad this morning that TXFM are sponsoring the upcoming tattoo convention in Dublin, must have been a pretty existing contract. Why else would they be forking our sponsorship dollars.
    Then I just heard an ad for the new TXFM it's and Android app, again puzzling. Why bother if the plug is being pulled in a few months.
    Will TX continue as an Internet station I wonder?
    I remember filling out a survey in Feb 2015 and thinking the same

paulbok wrote: »
    Heard an ad this morning that TXFM are sponsoring the upcoming tattoo convention in Dublin, must have been a pretty existing contract. Why else would they be forking our sponsorship dollars.

That tattoo gig seems strange to be plugging on TXFM, as nothing like it has ever been advertised before. They must be willing to promote anything once they pay at this stage.

The Academy and Whelans must invest in TXFM because the 'Live Guide' ads seem to promote such random gigs there all the time. All the Iveagh Garden gigs were on recently and got little to no promotion in those ads. Yet, someone from Electric Six is having their gig promoted in Academy 2??

And this DARK side-project with Dolores O'Riordan and Andy Rourke gets heavy promotion for their gig in Whelans, yet their material has never been played (not that I've heard it) on TXFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I did a double take when I saw the author, but it's a nice article. Sums up my feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Now, that is a very well-written article. I was surprised too that it was Brendan O'Connor extolling the virtues of TXFM. He hit the nail in the head with his points about the attraction of TXFM and the problem for TXFM.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I did a double take when I saw the author, but it's a nice article. Sums up my feelings.

Me too..i thought "here we go" kick a horse when its down...but pleasently suprised at the piece...pity i wont make any difference tho...:(

Wonder if it'd be worth an email to Mr.Trump........:D

Was looking up the JNLRs. Just read this re Claire:
    http://www.hotpress.com/Claire-Byrne/news/Claire-Byrne-Pat-Kenny--Matt-Cooper-among-the-JNLR-winners-as-2fm-dip/17860311.html

"As usual, pretty much everyone in Dublin is claiming to be a winner. FM104 can be justifiably proud of its breakfast show being up 4,000 to 80,000. With an 11.4% overall market share, they remain the second most listened-to station in the capital.after Radio 1. The Dublin local pecking order is now them followed by 98FM 6.9%, Spin 1038 6.1%, Q102 5.9%, Sunshine 106.8 5.2%, Radio Nova 3.7%, Classic Hits 4FM 2.3% and TXFM 0.7%, which sadly explains why they’re soon to close. Incidentally, Hot Press is delighted that one of the star TX turns, Claire Beck, has been given a Saturday 6pm-9pm show on parent station Today FM." - See more at: http://www.hotpress.com/Claire-Byrne/news/Claire-Byrne-Pat-Kenny--Matt-Cooper-among-the-JNLR-winners-as-2fm-dip/17860311.html#sthash.3FydVZ6H.dpuf

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm happy for Claire Beck, who has great music knowledge and very easy to listen to but what TodayFM are playing at regarding their schedule is almost schizophrenic at this stage. This isn't the thread for it but it looks like they are trying to become Txoday4NovaSpinTalk(and we do sports sometimes)FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

She has been doing saturday nights on today fm for a good while

She has been doing saturday nights on today fm for a good while

Hadn't heard that at all when Kelly Anne and Nadine O'R were announced as weekend peeps, but I see now that Claire is up on the Today FM website in that slot - so you're right (I don't listen in to Today FM much). I do sometimes wonder if KA connected with TXFM listeners a bit more....everyone seemed delighted about her getting the Today FM slot, but Claire's one went under the radar in all the talk I saw about who was moving over.
    http://www.todayfm.com/We-Have-A-New-Weekend-Schedule
    Good luck to her anyway. I must listen in - I'm at a loose end on Saturday nights radio wise now.

Good luck to her anyway. I must listen in - I'm at a loose end on Saturday nights radio wise now.

I've heard her on Today FM a few times and she plays a mixture of current pop hits and some more leftfield tunes that are not in the Top 40 or whatever.

At least she has the slot permanently now, so fair play to her.

Still no word to where any other presenters could go at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I'm at a loose end on Saturday nights radio wise now.
    try Radio na Life

its mostly electronic/hip hop tho, no guitars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I've heard her on Today FM a few times and she plays a mixture of current pop hits and some more leftfield tunes that are not in the Top 40 or whatever.

At least she has the slot permanently now, so fair play to her.

Still no word to where any other presenters could go at the moment.

So Nadine O'Regan, Kelly-Anne Byrne and Claire Beck are all sorted (I missed that too about Claire!). The most recent shake-up of TXFM coincided with a shake-up of Today FM's weekend schedule and really seemed to benefit TXFM presenters to the detriment of some Today FM presenters. Interesting times!

Who is left? There's Cathal Funge, Joe Donnelly, John Caddell, Paul Donegan, Dee Reddy, Paul Lynskey, Johnny Cullen and the newest presenter on TX Shelly Gray. Some could end up in Nova like former TX presenter Gavin Glass. But they can't all end up there. I don't think there will be any more room on Today FM after the recent changes!

Then you have the five who lost their jobs in the most recent shake-up of TXFM - Derek Byrne, Nialler9, Tara Harrison, Charlotte Flood and Brian Keaveney. Or is that six - did Orlagh Donnelly get removed at this point or had she already left? Charlotte was already a Production Assistant with Today FM, before being reinstated on TXFM with a once a week show, having lost out when Phantom rebranded. I suspect she still has her Today FM job.

Including the most recent victims, that is still quite a lot of people.

Caddell made sure to play some Dylan earlier, but that joke really is wearing thing now. We get that you like Dylan, Simple Minds etc..

I don't mind him at all as a presenter, yet he should have moved on to Nova a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Cathal played Cedar room by Doves earlier.. amazing to hear it on the radio

Caddell made sure to play some Dylan earlier, but that joke really is wearing thing now. We get that you like Dylan, Simple Minds etc..

I don't mind him at all as a presenter, yet he should have moved on to Nova a long time ago.

I note the time you posted this....I tuned in at 2 pm and I'm almost sure JC played Dylan's Working Man's Blues just after the news, in response to how bad the news report was (he said he'd never heard a news report as depressing). So double Dylan in one show, it seems! He sounds like a man who's being completely himself these days....he's said 'shxte' a few times on air while describing albums, etc. While he's always been a bit off the cuff, I don't remember him ever being quite this laidback. It'll be full on spliffs in the studio by Oct :D

• Advertisement

Thats always been my bugbear with him..he plays what HE likes and fcuk the rest of ye.....cant see him getting a good slot on Nova though....maybe after everyone is finished...:)

Advertisement