Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Paul played some cracking tunes earlier...plus the usual suspects..:rolleyes::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

A Certain Romance, Kinky Afro and Fake Plastic Trees played one after another on my drive to work today, I'm dreading October :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Cathal played 'Return of the Mack' this morning... I missed the full reason, but he said it was a 'true classic pop tune' ?

:D

Are they doing forfeits / bets now with closure imminent?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Cathal played 'Return of the Mack' this morning... I missed the full reason, but he said it was a 'true classic pop tune' ?

I heard that....while I can't stand that song, I did think it was quite amusing in a 'Did he actually play that?' way....he said he had a discussion with someone recently about how it kept A Design For Life off the top spot in the charts years ago, and that was the rationale for playing it - plus he genuinely liked it, he said. Glad I'd heard the preamble though cos I would have assumed someone in the house had fiddled with my radio dial if I'd heard that without any warning. I suppose they have to have a bit of craic now at this stage...there are only weeks left....could be as little as 7 weeks, depending on when in Oct they wrap it up. Hopefully we'll get until the end of Oct. Still only 11 weeks at most though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Twizzler wrote: »
    I suppose they have to have a bit of craic now at this stage...there are only weeks left....could be as little as 7 weeks, depending on when in Oct they wrap it up. Hopefully we'll get until the end of Oct. Still only 11 weeks at most though. :(

I wonder will they play music on-loop after the presenters leave, similar to Phantom's departure, where it just became 105.2 FM?

• Advertisement

Liam92 wrote: »
    I wonder will they play music on-loop after the presenters leave, similar to Phantom's departure, where it just became 105.2 FM?

I guess not if they have nothing lined up for that frequency afterwards...and it appears they don't :( It'll be pretty brutal when it finishes. I remember listening in the night Phantom finished and feeling pretty crap about it, but at least there was something else in the pipeline then.

If only Nova could get rid of move the Millers and Courtenay, there might be a bit of light at the end of this tunnel....:o

I think there's a problem with the broadcast...wasn't Paul meant to be doing his show from the tattoo conference in the Convention Centre? Been listening in since 12, but no DJ so far.
    Update: Paul Lynsky just came on there to say they are having technical difficulties getting Paul Donegan's broadcast.

I guess not if they have nothing lined up for that frequency afterwards...and it appears they don't :( It'll be pretty brutal when it finishes. I remember listening in the night Phantom finished and feeling pretty crap about it, but at least there was something else in the pipeline then.

It'd be a pity to just hear dead air until 105.2 is claimed by someone else.

Claire said the other day that the song that is TXFM is 'Seasons' by Future Islands. Wouldn't surprise me if they played that as their swansong.

Caribou - 'Can't Do Without You', to me is such a TXFM song, and 'Let it Happen'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Return of the Mack is better than plenty of the new sh1t they playlist tbf.

• Advertisement

It'd be a pity to just hear dead air until 105.2 is claimed by someone else.

Claire said the other day that the song that is TXFM is 'Seasons' by Future Islands. Wouldn't surprise me if they played that as their swansong.

Caribou - 'Can't Do Without You', to me is such a TXFM song, and 'Let it Happen'.

You are 100% right on those three songs being VERY TXFM....and yes, I can see Seasons being the last song for sure. I'm sure Joe said similar about Seasons one day too. To be fair, I think everyone would be very happy with that choice.

On another note, a friend gave me the nod tonight that Ed Smith's show on Today FM was worth listening to. It was pretty decent. So that means we have from 6 pm to 1 am on Sunday night on Today FM for TX-type of music, and the same on Sat night with Claire Beck and Kelly-Anne....that's something. I've been listening to the BBC 6 Music on the app since another poster mentioned it, but it's good to have something on the wireless to listen to as well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I've never managed to warm to Ed's show for some reason. Nothing wrong with it per se, just I still haven't recovered from the loss of The Lighthouse, I really loved that show :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I've never managed to warm to Ed's show for some reason. Nothing wrong with it per se, just I still haven't recovered from the loss of The Lighthouse, I really loved that show :(

Me neither, he comes across as a bit of a "know-it-all" when it comes to music.

On another note, a friend gave me the nod tonight that Ed Smith's show on Today FM was worth listening to. It was pretty decent. So that means we have from 6 pm to 1 am on Sunday night on Today FM for TX-type of music, and the same on Sat night with Claire Beck and Kelly-Anne....that's something. I've been listening to the BBC 6 Music on the app since another poster mentioned it, but it's good to have something on the wireless to listen to as well.

There is also RTE 2XM !! http://2xm.rte.ie/

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

His music knowledge is very strong. Very much a fan of the kind of music I like so I might be biased but he certainly is streets ahead of many more popular presenters.

I don't mind the likes of Louise soft as much as most in this forum but by way of example, someone requests "something by the pixies"

Louise will play: Where is my Mind;

Ed will play: Wave of Mutilation.

I like the left-fieldness.

That all said, I don't know why tf they ever moved Paul McLoone from the 7pm slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

No access to tx through tunein or the app this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That's what some of us want though and was an issue with TXFM in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There is also RTE 2XM !! http://2xm.rte.ie/

The lineup of 2XM includes two presenters who got the chop from Phantom, ahead of the re-branding to TXFM: Ray McGowan and Laura Lee Conboy. I would not be surprised if a few TXFM presenters pass through 2XM after its closure. I could see Derek Byrne, who has already got the chop from TXFM, on 2XM.

Could, RTE put / relay RTE 2XM on 105.2 FM when TXFM closes, or do RTE have to apply for a licence?...no one else has applied!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Could, RTE put / relay RTE 2XM on 105.2 FM when TXFM closes, or do RTE have to apply for a licence?...no one else has applied!!!

I expect they'd need a license. I'd also expect virtually every local station would object to RTE putting another music service on the FM band, so I can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

loyatemu wrote: »
    I expect they'd need a license. I'd also expect virtually every local station would object to RTE putting another music service on the FM band, so I can't see it happening.

Will we start a crowdFund to save it ? :cool:

Was the licence up for renewal before Phantom closed? If not, Communicorp may have never even bothered with TXFM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Was the licence up for renewal before Phantom closed? If not, Communicorp may have never even bothered with TXFM.

No, they had a 10-year licence up to 2016, but Communicorp got involved about 5 years ago I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

My God, That 'Tilted' song is getting far far too much airplay, and I happened to hear it on one of the big stations anyway, so it's not exactly 'alternative'.

That said, hearing Death In Vegas 'Aisha' this morning made my day!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The licence process is closed - nobody else *can* apply for the licence. It would have to be re-advertised by the BAI.

My God, That 'Tilted' song is getting far far too much airplay, and I happened to hear it on one of the big stations anyway, so it's not exactly 'alternative'. :D

Irish stations picked up on that song very late. I remember hearing it on BBC Radio 1 a while back and she appeared on Graham Norton and then people really got into that song.

Those rubbish Pixies and Dinosaur Jr. songs are getting too much airplay also, and if any other band were to record those songs, they'd be laughed away by labels and radio stations.

Irish stations picked up on that song very late. I remember hearing it on BBC Radio 1 a while back and she appeared on Graham Norton and then people really got into that song.

Those rubbish Pixies and Dinosaur Jr. songs are getting too much airplay also, and if any other band were to record those songs, they'd be laughed away by labels and radio stations.

Did/do like them but i see your point.....they really have slipped back into their old ways with the repitition imo....it seems a bit as if theyre not bothered now..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Even in Phantom days there were always a handful of songs you were pretty much guaranteed to hear on each daytime show. At the moment it's Tilted / Prophets Of Rage / Smile More. Thankfully I like all three.

A few months back it was that Heart Of Oak song and John Grant which melted my brain.

That Elephant In The Room song that's playing right now, he'd be a good man to replace Christy Dignam. Next time you hear it have a closer listen, especially to the first verse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Was convinced it was Hawley singing John Grant's song until I checked the playlist

Advertisement