Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

That "These Words" song is going to get the heavy heavy rotation treatment. What a gorgeous pop song no matter how derivative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Donal Dineen is on Newstalk again tonight, had some nice live music last night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    That "These Words" song is going to get the heavy heavy rotation treatment. What a gorgeous pop song no matter how derivative.

Soft-pop sh1te...its just 70's MOR to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Joe out this week again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Joe is covering for Tom Dunne, (Tom Dunne is covering for Sean Moncrief)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Joe out this week again. :(

ah balls

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

The new Metallica song is pretty good. Drummer needed a sleep after recording.

I'd say Joe will end up with a gig on NT or today fm

LEIN wrote: »

He's been producing some shows on today fm I notice. Weekend shows it seems

I'd say you're bang on. I guess he's already transitioning. Good for him but bad news for us the next couple months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Joe was a producer and occasional stand-in presenter for Tom Dunne mid-mornings on Newstalk before joining Phantom in 2012.

The new Metallica song is pretty good. Drummer needed a sleep after recording.

I like it.....old skool....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I'd say you're bang on. I guess he's already transitioning. Good for him but bad news for us the next couple months.

Becoming Josephine ?!?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Birneybau wrote:
    Becoming Josephine ?!?!

Joe is station-fluid. Don't oppress him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Absolutely, he'll have no problem fitting in anywhere else.

I know he's popular with some posters here but his arrival was the beginning of the end for Phantom/TX.

Audience figures were in the toilet so they had to do something, but I would say bringing in the likes of Joe, Keith (grrrr) and Claire Beck lost them a lot of loyal listeners. They are 'radio presenters' rather than the music lovers that the previous Phantom DJs were - I like Claire but you could stick her on Lyric FM and she'd do a job of convincing you she's all about the classical.

I listen to Joe going on about indie/alternative rock acts and I just don't find him credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Slightly off Topic now but I have to say fair play to Richie Mc Cormack (nee Phantom FM) on getting the Newstalk Olympics Gig for "Off the Ball".
    Did a stand up job over there so he did.
    Richie has an encyclopedic knowledge of all sports (to go with his music & trainer/ footwear knowledge too) & has a nice easy going manner about him- his post race interview with the O Donovan Bros Father made for fantastic radio.
    The man is a sound skin and surely has a bright future in Irish media.
    To think this time 4 years ago in 2012 him & Michelle O Docherty were unfairly shunted off the 'Pure Morning' Slot for the disastrous Joe and Keith morning effort instead...
    Later will be greater as those Rap lads might say!

I listen to Joe going on about indie/alternative rock acts and I just don't find him credible.

Agreed, but at least he doesnt pretend to "know-all"......a la most of Nova...but maybe they think THATS what radio needs....not imo...

The thing about any job within a particular industry is one might suit you great while you won't do well in another similar job. That can be down to the format, team or direction of the business.

For example Joe & Keith's breakfast show just did not work and I also read that Joe wasn't up to a whole lot covering I think Moncreiff. Yet Joe does a stellar job on Drivetime, in fact it's probably the show I'll miss most.

I hope Cathal, Clare & Joe all find slots that suit their own style.

I just dont get breakfast shows with 2 presenters.....trying to be zany and happy at that hour of the morning...Cathals show is perfect, great voice great tunes no BS.....proper

While I agree with your post I really enjoyed the Pure Morning set-up with Richie & Charlotte / Michelle. Used to genuinely laugh out loud in the car on the way to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

room_149 wrote: »
    Slightly off Topic now but I have to say fair play to Richie Mc Cormack (nee Phantom FM) on getting the Newstalk Olympics Gig for "Off the Ball".
    Did a stand up job over there so he did.
    Richie has an encyclopedic knowledge of all sports (to go with his music & trainer/ footwear knowledge too) an easy going manner- his post race interview with the O Donovan Bros Father made for fantastic radio.
    The man is a sound skin and surely has a bright future in Irish media.
    To think this time 4 years ago in 2012 him & Michelle O Docherty were unfairly shunted off the 'Pure Morning' Slot for the disastrous Joe and Keith morning effort instead...
    Later will be greater as those Rap lads might say!

Richie McCormack's biggest flaw is that he is too competent. I get the feeling sometimes when he is on Off The Ball that the other presenters are put out because his knowledge of sport is on another level to theirs.

I haven't been listening to TXFM too much lately but have noticed that there has been a bt more early 90's hip hop being played lately which is a welcome change from some of the unremarkable modern alt stuff that is generally playlisted to the hilt.

Joe on todayfm this morning. Covering for Neil delamare I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Joe on todayfm this morning. Covering for Neil delamare I guess

This is the first time I've heard the full show of him covering - just caught bits here and there of other shows. He's doing well IMO - sounds quite comfortable

Twizzler wrote: »
    This is the first time I've heard the full show of him covering - just caught bits here and there of other shows. He's doing well IMO - sounds quite comfortable

Yeah that whole format yesterday suited him. Current affairs with a humorous twist to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

It's gone in October, yeah? I thought they'd be wrapped up by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

It's gone in October, yeah? I thought they'd be wrapped up by now.

I always figured that they'd hang on for Electric Picnic, but after this weekend there will be a serious wind-down.

Also; if Communicorp simply stopped broadcasting while in possession of a licence, the regulator might not like that.

Was good top have Joe back this evening.

Was good top have Joe back this evening.

+1

Although i was listening to Cathal this morning..he played Waterloo sunset and Victoria from the Kinks.....listening as an alt/indie listener i would have much prefered him play The Fall version of Victoria..sounded a bit Nova-ish...just me..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

+1

Although i was listening to Cathal this morning..he played Waterloo sunset and Victoria from the Kinks.....listening as an alt/indie listener i would have much prefered him play The Fall version of Victoria..sounded a bit Nova-ish...just me..:o

I take your point, but you can never have too much of The Kinks on the radio!

• Advertisement

+1

They were going through a major nova phase a few weeks ago. I really like the Beatles etc, but just find it a bit of wasted airtime when there is so much new music out there.

Advertisement