Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

The news was gone back in time too. They were talking and Bush and Sadam. I didn't know what the hell was going on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Listened to Cadell the other morning, standing in for Claire, he played a great mix of tunes, some i never heard on TX before...pity he didnt allow the other DJ's the same freedom....too little too late...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Now that I know what's going on, I really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Ha! 1991 I love it! Must be some kind of Nevermind anniversary thing. Before 7 they did play Seal though.

Just did a 1991 live guide :D

What do you mean?!

It is 1991!

:D

On a serious note, from 1991-2016 is 25 years.

Anyone reckon they're doing a day for each year up to 2016?

One year per day (I'm excluding weekends) is 25 days... the station is closing in approx 5 weeks isn't it?

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

LEIN wrote: »
    Now that I know what's going on, I really like it.
    It's a great idea, really tugging at the nostalgia bone reminding me of the Secondary school bus (though it was usually LW Atlantic 252 most days on that crock- fcukin Simply Red & 2 Unlimited- Jaysus!!) and girlfriends of times past...
    >>Must-resist-the-urge-to-look-them-up-on-Facebook!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    You know that Metronomy song Night Owls that's on rotation these days? The riff in the verse reminds me of something and I can't quite figure it out. Could be KOL or Phoenix but I'm not 100%. Any ideas? It's driving me insane.

I hear Squeeze - Up The Junction, when I hear that Metronomy song, with a bit of Arcade Fire in the chorus.

room_149 wrote: »
    (though it was usually LW Atlantic 252 most days on that crock- fcukin Simply Red & 2 Unlimited- Jaysus!!) and girlfriends of times past...

Did you love the thought of coming home to them? even if you knew you couldn't make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

What's this "Sound of 1991" craic? I can't listen at work so only get to hear about the first 45 minutes of Cathal's show, did he announce yesterday that this was something he was going to do? Is for the whole show or just this hour?

For a minute I though I'd accidently brought the DeLorean to work this morning until I heard the Nirvana postal quiz and guessed it's down to it's 25th anniversary this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

1991 was an insanely good year for album realeases :cool:

Nevermind and Blood Sugar released on the same day :D

Anyone entering the postal comp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Reeling In The Years TXFM style. :)

• Advertisement

Did you love the thought of coming home to them? even if you knew you couldn't make it?
    Thrilled me, all night long, it did
    I guess something got me started
    Look in the mirror baby
    I hope you comprehend

(Thanks Atlantic 252, the lyrics of most tracks on 'Stars' are etched into my noggin through your 'Clockwork Orange' style exposure torture!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Listened to Cadell the other morning, standing in for Claire, he played a great mix of tunes, some i never heard on TX before...pity he didnt allow the other DJ's the same freedom....too little too late...

Christ man, just stop listening. Bitch, bitch, bitch. Do you honestly think John Cadell is the one cracking the whip on the playlists??

Just sit there in silence for the next couple of weeks.

On a positive note, I thought Cathal's show this morning was good craic. Not often you hear Orbital at that time of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Charles Haughey isnt well!!! Thats some news.

Think i prefare this style of radio..its great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It was supposed to be a throwback to what the love guide would've sounded like in 1991. £3 for a Blur ticket and G'n'R playing Slane next summer :pac:

Isn't that on Q102?

Loving the tunes..even the irish stuff ...hope you young guys agree, music was better back then...and not a sign of a fcuking "hipster"...unless theyre being worn by a slim lady....something else you dont see thesedays either....:D...

Loving the tunes..even the irish stuff ...hope you young guys agree, music was better back then...and not a sign of a fcuking "hipster"...unless theyre being worn by a slim lady....something else you dont see thesedays either....:D...

Are you for real? They just wore different clothes, big baggy woolly jumpers, doc martins. There has always been a 'cooler than thou' tribe and if you don't/can't realise that...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Do you honestly think John Cadell is the one cracking the whip on the playlists??.

I've heard presenters over the years saying that they would have to ask 'Bossman' JC for permission if they were to play a certain track. I'm sure he's had an influence over what was playlisted.

On Phantom he used to do weekly new music ads, similar to Donegan's live guide ads.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Are you for real? They just wore different clothes, big baggy woolly jumpers, doc martins. There has always been a 'cooler than thou' tribe and if you don't/can't realise that...

I was a hipster before it was cool.

Now I'm old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I only tuned in at 11am and heard some news about Saddam and Iraq and went WTF??!
    Had to turn off and was wondering was the news reader gone bananas or did txfm finish up earlier than planned...

Managed to tune in early afternoon though and love it!!
    Love all the little touches the DJs are adding... playing a U2 track 'in anticipation for the release of their new single 'The Fly' next week'.
    The gigs guides etc...

Brilliant! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

no, quite the opposite, all I'm gathering here is that 1991 was just dull as f-ck rock and grunge.

and apparently few bands released albums other than Nirvana, GnR, RHCP, Faith No More and Pixies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I woke up this morning, flicked the radio on and heard them talking about "the British Prime Minister John Major" on the news. I was a bit confused - thought maybe the last 25 years was just a horrible dream.

no, quite the opposite, all I'm gathering here is that 1991 was just dull as f-ck rock and grunge.

and apparently few bands released albums other than Nirvana, GnR, RHCP, Faith No More and Pixies....
    Ah Dude, harsh!
    Listen a bit closer and you'd have heard Orbital, The Orb, the Prodigy(early stuff was decent), the Shamen, 808 State, Tribe Called Quest, St Etienne, KRS-One, the Madchester bands, All that silly Greebo stuff, Primal Scream...

room_149 wrote: »
    Ah Dude, harsh!
    Listen a bit closer and you'd have heard Orbital, The Orb, the Prodigy(early stuff was decent), the Shamen, 808 State, Tribe Called Quest, St Etienne, KRS-One, the Madchester bands, All that silly Greebo stuff, Primal Scream...

And the Bleedin' KLF!

Birneybau wrote: »
    And the Bleedin' KLF!
    Massive attack just there now.

Ah...a hipster then...beardy....:P:D:D

Just got a bit more KLF there.

What a class day of radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This has been absolutely class. Maybe if there had been more of this throughout the last couple of years, it wouldn't be closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

That was the best day's radio EVER!

Really, really gonna miss this statiion even more now......:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Here's hoping we get '92 tomorrow. Added a load of tracks to my Spotify that I'd forgotten about.

The people 'ringing in' about detention / homework, etc got old pretty fast though.

Advertisement