Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Here's hoping we get '92 tomorrow. Added a load of tracks to my Spotify that I'd forgotten about.

The people 'ringing in' about detention / homework, etc got old pretty fast though.

Hope so, really enjoyed today when I finally copped what the hell was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard it some of it this morning and a good bit this evening. I have to say I thought it was brilliant. It hadn't occurred to me before what a brilliant year 1991 was for music... and I bought Nevermind (Nirvana) and Ten (Pearl Jam)!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Late to this party, but I listened all day and I'm gonna straight out fangirl on this and say I thought it was fxxking inspired.
    Even the repetition of the homework stuff etc. didn't bother me, cos I figured people were tuning in at different times and were all excited thinking they were the first ones to think of that, and the guys were just going along with it. There was such a happy vibe to the whole thing.

WHY does it have to end? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Agree. It was brilliant. It could have been really cheesy and cringey but somehow it wasn't. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Really liked it too.

I just wished they tried something as bold and innovative as this before they got in a state where they had to close.

May have helped to lure some extra listener-ship in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I heard it some of it this morning and a good bit this evening. I have to say I thought it was brilliant. It hadn't occurred to me before what a brilliant year 1991 was for music... and I bought Nevermind (Nirvana) and Ten (Pearl Jam)![/QUOTE]

Goin out to get them on saturday in Dolphin Discs...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Really liked it too.

I just wished they tried something as bold and innovative as this before they got in a state where they had to close.

May have helped to lure some extra listener-ship in.

It was great but only because it was such a novelty. Like, if next Thursday they were pretending it was 1995 to commemorate Blur v Oasis, and so on, it would get pretty old, pretty fast.

I think their problem has been their listenership is exactly the sort of people who loved yesterday, but what they need is more people who weren't even born in 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

It was great but only because it was such a novelty. Like, if next Thursday they were pretending it was 1995 to commemorate Blur v Oasis, and so on, it would get pretty old, pretty fast.

I think their problem has been their listenership is exactly the sort of people who loved yesterday, but what they need is more people who weren't even born in 1991.
    Perhaps they shouldn't bother trying to target Millennials (no offense to any on here :) ) as they are already well served by the likes Spin / 2fm / online stuff etc
    TXFM might have just hit an interesting new niche for Irish FM radio yesterday. A retro-alt station - 'Dad (and mammy) Indie' if you like for Middle aged folk, and those hovering just under, for the nation.
    You know, the '25 year anniversary of an album tour' attending, Electric Picnic Pink Moon Camping/ Boutique Campervan crowd with a mortgage, kids and some disposable income who still love the radio but don't want to tune into Nova, Newstalk etc all the time just yet.
    Just a thought and might be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

If they started doing a Blur v Oasis thing I'd throw my radio out. Two awful, awful bands.

Music in the 90s was so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

:eek:

get OUT!

• Advertisement

Prove me wrong, kids, prove me wrong.

I'll give you Rage Against the Machine and Nirvana, but after that, alternative music takes a nose dive.

The hip-hop though was great

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Please! TLC, Hanson, Brittany v Christina, Spice Girls, Steps... 90's was peak.

I'll give you Rage Against the Machine and Nirvana, but after that, alternative music takes a nose dive.

Loved all the De La Soul.....now we're back to the Day Long Sh1te........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

3 of many, many amazing albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

You're missing my point.

I'm not saying they should have done exactly what they did yesterday over and over. I mean that they should have thought outside the box on novel ways to spice up the station frequently.

I half agree with you, an i'm old git (if you didnt know that by now:p) who just loves music, i love the old stuff (listen to Nova then i hear you shout) and some of the new stuff, but i'm finding it harder to "get" the newer stuff, its all over-produced pop imo....the odd song will catch my ear but i've not had any inkling to go to a gig in a long while...Interpol being the last..remember them..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

If they started doing a Blur v Oasis thing I'd throw my radio out. Two awful, awful bands.

Deary me! This is a good indicator as to why this particular "alternative" radio station is dying a death. Too many of the listenership simply tolerated the overly polished, glorified pop that it slipped into playing. The poster above, I would guess, is very, very far from being an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

[quote="room_149;101130901
    TXFM might have just hit an interesting new niche for Irish FM radio yesterday. A retro-alt station - 'Dad (and mammy) Indie' if you like for Middle aged folk, and those hovering just under, for the nation.
    You know, the '25 year anniversary of an album tour' attending, Electric Picnic Pink Moon Camping/ Boutique Campervan crowd with a mortgage, kids and some disposable income who still love the radio but don't want to tune into Nova, Newstalk etc all the time just yet.
    Just a thought and might be wrong[/quote]

You have pretty much described my circumstances anyway....
    If only it had gone national in 2014 and a bit of welly had gone in to promoting it. It feels like it has really built momentum in the last year. Cut off in its prime....but it will go out on a high. At least they are not rolling over & dying just because the end is nigh. Joe seems to be having more craic than ever these days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Deary me! This is a good indicator as to why this particular "alternative" radio station is dying a death. Too many of the listenership simply tolerated the overly polished, glorified pop that it slipped into playing. The poster above, I would guess, is very, very far from being an alternative.

I would think it was the opposite. Too many music snobs who want their own very specific tastes catered to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

You're missing my point.

I'm not saying they should have done exactly what they did yesterday over and over. I mean that they should have thought outside the box on novel ways to spice up the station frequently.

Fair enough.

Although they did attempt to spice it up with numerous clear-outs and overhauls, rebranding etc. I think eventually they just ran out of road due to lack of demand for their service.

• Advertisement

Yeah Dave, or maybe we just wanted actual alternative music and not another classic hits station.

I'm sorry I don't listen to underground bands like Blur though

You only have to watch "Later..." to see just how bad this modern stuff really is...its no wonder that Nova is getting more popular...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sure I turn on Nova all I hear is the old rock chart 100 with a splash of the more main stream stuff you get on TX, it's no wonder I can't stand the sound of Nova...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Yeah Dave, or maybe we just wanted actual alternative music and not another classic hits station.

I'm sorry I don't listen to underground bands like Blur though

Given that you reckon the only decent alternative bands for a whole decade were RATM and Nirvana, I wouldn't expect much from you. TXFM went down the pan a good while ago sadly and the reason for that was the horrendous playlist featuring weak dance pop drivel and mainstream sh*te like Coldplay.

It was supposed to be an alternative station after all. A lot of the crap they were playing could be heard on any of the other station, Spin, 2fm etc.

What's the best alternative band to be formed in the last ten years?

For me its Editors and Interpol..........you might say theyre not alternative..
    I

For me its Editors and Interpol..........you might say theyre not alternative..
    I

I might say they're both a lot older than ten years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Given that you reckon the only decent alternative bands for a whole decade were RATM and Nirvana, I wouldn't expect much from you. TXFM went down the pan a good while ago sadly and the reason for that was the horrendous playlist featuring weak dance pop drivel and mainstream sh*te like Coldplay.

It was supposed to be an alternative station after all. A lot of the crap they were playing could be heard on any of the other station, Spin, 2fm etc.

Yeah, saturation (e.g.) Two Door Cinema Club, a few years ago drove a lot of listeners away

I might say they're both a lot older than ten years :)

That was my point..........:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Possibly The Horrors.

Advertisement