Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

room_149 wrote: »
    Racking my brains regarding some of the old users of the 105.2 frequency here..
    Does anyone recall the old Dublin based Pirate that resided on that same dial back in the early to mid 90s- before Phantom started like?
    'Club FM' or 'Sunset' or something along those lines?
    I know one of them was 106.4 before Radio Na Life started.
    Open to correction here of course..

*Edit - I'm fairly sure 106.8FM was Club FM

Pirates - Coast (was 103 swapped with sunset who then moved to 106.8 IIRC)
    & Spectrum (105.3 not 105.2?)
    Also Q95 was on 105.3 for a while - RHYTHM & Melody as well for a very short period IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Infoanon wrote: »
    Pirates - Coast (was 103 swapped with sunset who then moved to 106.8 IIRC)
    & Spectrum (105.3 not 105.2?)
    Also Q95 was on 105.3 for a while - RHYTHM & Melody as well for a very short period IIRC
    Thanks for that
    Did 'Club FM' replace 'Sunset FM' or is my memory playing tricks on me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

room_149 wrote: »
    Thanks for that
    Did 'Club FM' replace 'Sunset FM' or is my memory playing tricks on me?

No, Club was definitely on the air after Sunset closed, but they co-existed for a while I think.

No, Club was definitely on the air after Sunset closed, but they co-existed for a while I think.

Club was on 106.4 and never got raided - it closed in '99 at the same time as Pulse and Phantom. It never applied for a licence.

Sunset was on the air until 1994 and made its name on 106.8 and was raided twice (IIRC) - there was an aborted raid IIRC.

IIRC Mix 106.8 replaced Sunset,then moved to 105.7 and the Club FM owner may have at that stage bought 105.7 ?????? a potential raid leading to closure and Spanish announcements also feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Poor Shelly..she must be the last person on the planet to find out who invented Tippex...:o.....and she said she was standing in for "John" at one stage...ah well I still love her to bits....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Club was on 106.4 and never got raided - it closed in '99 at the same time as Pulse and Phantom. It never applied for a licence.

Sunset was on the air until 1994 and made its name on 106.8 and was raided twice (IIRC) - there was an aborted raid IIRC.

IIRC Mix 106.8 replaced Sunset,then moved to 105.7 and the Club FM owner may have at that stage bought 105.7 ?????? a potential raid leading to closure and Spanish announcements also feature.

The initial successor to Sunset was Rhythm FM. It was a weekend only station that played more niche dance music from the same studio site. It was on air from about early October 94 until round about March 95. It had vacated the airwaves in time for Hot 107FM to come on the air. Intended as a more chart dance led competitor for Club, it came from a completely different studio and mountain site to Sunset. It wasn't a massive success compared to Sunset but it did well until it was bought out by Club FM in 1996. When that happened the station had to contend with a mass exodus of staff as well the loss of it's entire VO and imaging package and a new studio to deal with. Crucially the brains and talent had gone and it was never the same. It closed as Hot 107 not too long afterwards and morphed into Mix 106, which as you said was on 105.7.

Also, I think the impending raids in 1996 were something to do with Club and Mix being on frequencies that were to have been used by community stations. The IRTC wanted them to move and they refused for whatever reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Losty Dublin sorted out the confusion re certain dance pirates in the '90s very well there.

Going back to 105.2 and its general environs, i.e. 105.3 and 105.4: it has a history since the 90s of being linked to Simon Maher-run stations. First, Coast FM, after moving from 103.2, then Spectrum, after moving from 100.7, then Phantom the pirate, before moving to 91.6, and finally Phantom fully-licensed, before they got rid of Simon.

Incidentally, as regards the swap between 103.2 and 105.3 in the early '90s for Coast FM, I thought the other station involved was NSR rather than Sunset. NSR was operated by a certain Mr. Kevin Branigan!

Incidentally, as regards the swap between 103.2 and 105.3 in the early '90s for Coast FM, I thought the other station involved was NSR rather than Sunset. NSR was operated by a certain Mr. Kevin Branigan!

Coast vacated 103.2 for 105.3 when Kiss 103FM came on air in February 1994. As they wanted a wide and powerful signal with a lot of modulated audio and wide stereo separation, Kiss needed a clear signal which offered the minimum risks of interference around the country. 105.3 wasn't going to work for Kiss so a mutual agreement was arrived at by the two stations that worked out well for both parties :)

Oddly enough, Coast arrived on 103.2 after a swap with a then fledgling Sunset FM; the rest is history :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The initial successor to Sunset was Rhythm FM. It was a weekend only station that played more niche dance mucic from the same studio site. Only on air from about early October 94 until round about March 95. It had vacated the airwaves in time for Hot 107FM to come on the air. Intended as a more chart dance led competitor for Club, it came from a completely different studio and mountain site to Sunset. It wasn't a massive success compared to Sunset but it did well until it was bought out by Club FM in 1996. When that happened the station had to contend with a mass exodus of staff as well the loss of it's entire VO and imaging package and a new studio to deal with. Crucially the brains and talent had gone and it was never the same. It closed as Hot 107 not too long afterwards and morphed into Mix 106, which as you said was on 105.7.

Also, I think the impending raids in 1996 were something to do with Club and Mix being on frequencies that were to have been used by community stations. The IRTC wanted them to move and they refused for whatever reasons.

i presume mix going off the air meant the raids didn't happen, or was it another reason? (i presume these are the same potential raids info unknown mentioned)

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Sorry to gate-crash yer radio statistics lads...:P.....but i'm finding the choice of tracks being played by ALL the jox this past couple of weeks to be the best i've ever heard on Phantom/TX.....

• Advertisement

i presume mix going off the air meant the raids didn't happen, or was it another reason? (i presume these are the same potential raids info unknown mentioned)

They didn't in the end, no. At the time the raids were so expectant that everybody knew literally on what day they would take place on. Club FM and Mix 106 held off almost until the last minute before switching off. At the time a lot of people kinda wished that they had have stayed on air :pac:

They didn't in the end, no. At the time the raids were so expectant that everybody knew literally on what day they would take place on. Club FM and Mix 106 held off almost until the last minute before switching off. At the time a lot of people kinda wished that they had have stayed on air :pac:

Losty is right re Mix - there was a community station (7-9-11 on 106.7) commencing and Mix did not switch off until the night before 7-9-11 launched.

Club did not however switch off and stayed on 106.4 - Mix was moved lock stock and barrel down to Walkinstown but lasted only a few days IIRC

Losty is right re Mix - there was a community station (7-9-11 on 106.7) commencing and Mix did not switch off until the night before 7-9-11 launched.

Club did not however switch off and stayed on 106.4 - Mix was moved lock stock and barrel down to Walkinstown but lasted only a few days IIRC

Mix were in Walkinstown for a while before this; they moved when Hot 107 was sold to Club and it's old co-backer wasn't in a position to allow the station to use it's premise. As you mentioned, they didn't last that long on air from there but it certainly lasted a little longer than a few days and they were known as Hot FM for a time when broadcasting from Walkinstown.

When the infamous switch off came to, Club's 106.4 was turned off for a few hours as a precaution in case the raid parties exercised their warrants. It came back on air later on that day after a few tweaks to the output levels were made and it was adjudged to be fairly safe to return on air. So yeah, I stand corrected as such on that point :)

Lastly, the community station's name was 9-7-11FM. What a mouthful!!

Mix were in Walkinstown for a while before this; they moved when Hot 107 was sold to Club and it's old co-backer wasn't in a position to allow the station to use it's premise. As you mentioned, they didn't last that long on air from there but it certainly lasted a little longer than a few days and they were known as Hot FM for a time when broadcasting from Walkinstown.

When the infamous switch off came to, Club's 106.4 was turned off for a few hours as a precaution in case the raid parties exercised their warrants. It came back on air later on that day after a few tweaks to the output levels were made and it was adjudged to be fairly safe to return on air. So yeah, I stand corrected as such on that point :)

Lastly, the community station's name was 9-7-11FM. What a mouthful!!

Thanks Losty - memory a bit fuzzy - Joe Doyle was involved in the short lived 9-7-11 FM - Mix came from one of the presenters houses if I am not mistaken ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I kept missing the albums they were doing the last couple of evenings except for a bit on Tuesday.

I know it was Psychedelica by Primal Scream on Monday - Cathal's choice. The Queen of Denmark by John Grant was on Tuesday - Claire Beck's choice. What albums were on yesterday and this evening and whose choice?

I'm surprised that John Caddell hasn't done something like that (or maybe he has). I would wager that it would be one of the following artistes: Bob Dylan, the Band, U2 or Simple Minds.

Thanks Losty - memory a bit fuzzy - Joe Doyle was involved in the short lived 9-7-11 FM - Mix came from one of the presenters houses if I am not mistaken ??

He was actually, yeah. That wasn't too long after he walked out on Radio Dublin. He didn't stay there for that long; he started a version of Heartbeat with Tony O'Hara on 105.7 in the autumn of 96.

Edit; Mix was from one of the presenters houses. 20 years on and I feel safe by saying that it was Tracey Lee's place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

I kept missing the albums they were doing the last couple of evenings except for a bit on Tuesday.

I know it was Psychedelica by Primal Scream on Monday - Cathal's choice. The Queen of Denmark by John Grant was on Tuesday - Claire Beck's choice. What albums were on yesterday and this evening and whose choice?

I'm surprised that John Caddell hasn't done something like that (or maybe he has). I would wager that it would be one of the following artistes: Bob Dylan, the Band, U2 or Simple Minds.

T'was Joe last night, Abbey Rd. I believe.
    I'd bet on a Stranglers album for JC

paulbok wrote: »
    T'was Joe last night, Abbey Rd. I believe.

I'd say Cadell is sulking over Joe taking the Beatles album....probably a Wings one then...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

the last Friday morning drive to work with TX blasting in the car :(

As a mark of respect i'm keeping it on all day...no nova today....feels a bit like losing a pet....:(

Will today be the end for this thread too....:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

As a mark of respect i'm keeping it on all day...no nova today....feels a bit like losing a pet....:(

Will today be the end for this thread too....:(:(:(

It's on until Wednesday.

I gave up on Nova a couple years back. It'll be Spotify only from Thursday on. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

It'll be 8.com or X FM from Manchester via internet radio for me. Commuting is a problem though as the 3 Mobile signal is pants on the N4/M4.
    I've been listening to it, in it's various incarnations for at least 18 years so gonna feel like a death in the family too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I wonder will all the staff be in with joe for the sign off? Will it go off the air at midnight on Wednesday?

The last 2 weeks with Joe's fill-ins have be ok, but looking forward to the last few days with him back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It'll be 8.com or X FM from Manchester via internet radio for me. Commuting is a problem though as the 3 Mobile signal is pants on the N4/M4.
    I've been listening to it, in it's various incarnations for at least 18 years so gonna feel like a death in the family too.

they might have podcasts of the various shows?

"5 minutes"....one of my favorite Stranglers tracks..never heard it played before...just makes it worse...:(:(

And then i hear Cadell's voice....followed by G n' R ....and then Prince for half an hour...think we know who to blame for the death of TXFM....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

And you'd win it, too.

Now 3 in a row from Bowie....he really is taking the pi$$ now...hope its HIS last show....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Now 3 in a row from Bowie....he really is taking the pi$$ now...hope its HIS last show....:rolleyes:

Jesus.

It's finishing next week. Some of us will miss it.

Just give us a break from your moaning. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jesus.

It's finishing next week. Some of us will miss it.

Just give us a break from your moaning. Please.

why. he's entitled to his opinion.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

why. he's entitled to his opinion.

;).....Dont mind former total, he's just narky about the closure like the rest of us...wait till i REALLY get stuck into Nova.......:p

Advertisement