Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It will be really bizarre if Simon Maher, the original founder of Phantom, ends up on this frequency with a temporary license for his 8Radio.com! As I was saying earlier, he has had stations intermittently hovering nearby (105.3 and 105.4) over the years!

I wonder will all the remaining presenters be on TXFM on its last day, including those who were not on Phantom, i.e. Paul Donegan, Sophie Grey, Esther Moore O'Donoghue, Paul Lynskey and Johnny Cullen. It will be weird for Paul and Johnny (and maybe the two females) as they have only ever been on weekend afternoons.

I expect Kelly-Anne Byrne to be emotional as Phantom, about a year before the name change, gave her first break in radio. It will have to be emotional for both Cathal Funge and John Caddell because of their long unbroken connections with Phantom, starting as a pirate and all the way through its different phases. In Cathal's case, I don't think he has ever been involved with any other station. In John's case, he was with Phantom from an early stage and goes back to a linked station called Alcatraz. In fact, JC may be the only ex-presenter from Alcatraz still currently involved with radio, if Jack Hyland has got the boot from Nova!.... There may be no ex-Alcatraz on the radio after next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

"5 minutes"....one of my favorite Stranglers tracks..never heard it played before...just makes it worse...:(:(

And then i hear Cadell's voice....followed by G n' R ....and then Prince for half an hour...think we know who to blame for the death of TXFM....Now 3 in a row from Bowie....he really is taking the pi$$ now...hope its HIS last show....

Better that than the drippy pop masquerading as indie that the station playlisted over the past couple of years. If you need to hear the likes of Wyvern Lingo, Two Door Cinema Club, Bastille etc. you'd be better off tuned in to Spin.

After Bowie was played yesterday, Cadell started extolling the "brilliance" of Lorde for f**ks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

I wonder will all the staff be in with joe for the sign off? Will it go off the air at midnight on Wednesday?

The last 2 weeks with Joe's fill-ins have be ok, but looking forward to the last few days with him back

Claire Beck posted this on her Facebook page during the week:

Last TXFM Dublin Show - Wednesday 28th October. 11-3pm for TX Daytime, then all of the ladz on 7-8pm before we pull the plug (and go to the pub).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Final Revolver on now. Just another reminder of how this closure is a huge loss to the diversity of music on the radio.

Played out with Shine a Light by the Stones, the Stripped version. Good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Final Revolver on now. Just another reminder of how this closure is a huge loss to the diversity of music on the radio.

Played out with Shine a Light by the Stones, the Stripped version. Good choice.

He sounded pretty emotional. It has to be really tough on him. Wednesday is going to be hard going on all of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Keep expecting them to say " well that's all from txfm join us tomorrow as we Launch Phantom Fm 2.... yeah!!!!!" But sadly dont think thats going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Better that than the drippy pop masquerading as indie that the station playlisted over the past couple of years. If you need to hear the likes of Wyvern Lingo, Two Door Cinema Club, Bastille etc. you'd be better off tuned in to Spin.

After Bowie was played yesterday, Cadell started extolling the "brilliance" of Lorde for f**ks sake.

Have you at least heard the song he was complimenting? It's a pretty good cover of Life on Mars and worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Wondering if all at Nova will get a bonus for a "job well done".....:(
    Where are we going to hear alt/indie music on our airwaves after wednesday..??....maybe we'll get a whole NEW Nova "The home of rock in Dublin"....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Have you at least heard the song he was complimenting? It's a pretty good cover of Life on Mars and worth listening to.

Yea I have heard it. Its a cover of a pretty good song.

My point is that unfortunately TXFM ceased to be an alternative radio station quite son time ago. I tuned in one afternoon to hear Beyonce and Coldplay for goodness sake.

Obviously the audience is not there anymore. If you're mentioning the dismal Lorde (a person more recognisable for standing next to Taylor Swift at sh*t awards ceremonies) as someone to listen to and playlisting Coldplay featuring the vile Beyonce, then you're done as an medium catering to those of an alternative persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Cathals tunes this morning were just great. The listeners had control.

you all have great taste guys!!!

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if there is an plan for another Indie station to Replace TXFM . Clutching at straws here but can't be the end of all Indie/ Alternative station. For Christ sake there are some terrible stations out there that have managed to stay on air

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Does anyone know if there is an plan for another Indie station to Replace TXFM . Clutching at straws here but can't be the end of all Indie/ Alternative station. For Christ sake there are some terrible stations out there that have managed to stay on air

The answer is there is no plan to replace TXFM. The license ran for 10 years when Phantom was launched on October 31st 2006. Applications for this license had to be in last March, including renewal by TXFM. As none was forthcoming, the license expires this month. Presumably, in another year or so, BCI could seek applications for this license.

The answer is there is no plan to replace TXFM. The license ran for 10 years when Phantom was launched on October 31st 2006. Applications for this license had to be in last March, including renewal by TXFM. As none was forthcoming, the license expires this month. Presumably, in another year or so, BCI could seek applications for this license.

Thanks for that. Spotify it is so

Thanks for that. Spotify it is so

Fcuk sake, 2 Steps Twice at 8.30 in the morning. I can't deal with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

It's a pity they cant keep an online presence of some sort.
    Really pissed about the whole closing down thing

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Heard Joe say yesterday evening that he will be playing "Epic" around 5.30pm tomorrow.. So maybe we will find out and for all who is playing the piano at the end??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Jooles Holland........:)

Fcuk sake, 2 Steps Twice at 8.30 in the morning. I can't deal with this

I know. Made the drive into work alot easier . This sucks

LadyW wrote: »
    Heard Joe say yesterday evening that he will be playing "Epic" around 5.30pm tomorrow.. So maybe we will find out and for all who is playing the piano at the end??

Maybe yer one from Abba will surprise joe on air with a bunch of flowers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Pretty emotional listening today. Both looking forward to and dreading tomorrow.

I thought the whole John Grant thing was a nice touch for Claire. I'm not a fan myself but she's very obviously big in to him. You could hear her gasp as he came in to the studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It has occurred to me that if all the people texting in saying they have been listeners since the start actually were, then they might have had a viable station, it's getting like the number of people who claimed to have been in Thomond Park to see Munster beat the All Blacks at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It has occurred to me that if all the people texting in saying they have been listeners since the start actually were, then they might have had a viable station, it's getting like the number of people who claimed to have been in Thomond Park to see Munster beat the All Blacks at this point.

was thinking the exact same thing over the last week. the social media presence has only now started. for years there were little or no FB likes or interaction with the station.

this, coupled with the relative small market for alternative music is the downfall imho

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's hard to know tbh. i'm not sure it would be viable even with a big audience due to the old style model that stations have to operate under. it's also about getting businesses and others to advertise on the station, which ultimately pays the bills. they're will be general advertisers who advertise on all stations but i should think they're are some who cater to speciffic audiences and it's a question of whether they're are enough of them to bring in income, the general advertising probably can only bring in so much. possibly they're just weren't enough advertisers to target the audience. but i really don't know, i'm just guessing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

People texting in does not equate to higher listener figures im afraid.
    Maybe more are texting in now that they know the station is closing down but it doesn't change the overall figures.
    I think Phantom had higher figures than TXFM and that was as good as it was ever going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

it's hard to know tbh. i'm not sure it would be viable even with a big audience due to the old style model that stations have to operate under. it's also about getting businesses and others to advertise on the station, which ultimately pays the bills. they're will be general advertisers who advertise on all stations but i should think they're are some who cater to speciffic audiences and it's a question of whether they're are enough of them to bring in income, the general advertising probably can only bring in so much. possibly they're just weren't enough advertisers to target the audience. but i really don't know, i'm just guessing.

If the figures are there so are the advertisers.
    A station like Phantom/TXFM is by its very nature a niche station so will always have low figures.
    Nothing wrong with this as long as they can operate at that level and not at the same level as the mainstream stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Does anyone know what tomorrows schedule is or what time TX is signing off?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ugh and I only got into them in the last few weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nodster wrote: »
    Does anyone know what tomorrows schedule is or what time TX is signing off?

8pm and it goes dead

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote:
    8pm and it goes dead

Get the cassette recorders ready :-)

Advertisement