Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Yea I have heard it. Its a cover of a pretty good song.

My point is that unfortunately TXFM ceased to be an alternative radio station quite son time ago. I tuned in one afternoon to hear Beyonce and Coldplay for goodness sake.

Obviously the audience is not there anymore. If you're mentioning the dismal Lorde (a person more recognisable for standing next to Taylor Swift at sh*t awards ceremonies) as someone to listen to and playlisting Coldplay featuring the vile Beyonce, then you're done as an medium catering to those of an alternative persuasion.

It's people like you who killed the station, texting in complaints when they play hip hop because the only thing allowed to be 'alternative' is Faith No More and Alice In Chains, when people were crying out for an actual alternative music station for 2016, not another oldies hits station. Enjoy listening to Pat Courteney next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Nodster wrote: »
    Does anyone know what tomorrows schedule is or what time TX is signing off?
    everlast75 wrote: »
    8pm and it goes dead

Joe doing Drive up until 7pm, then 'all the gang' (John C, Claire B, Cathal, Kelly Anne and Joe anyway) in from 7-8pm chatting about the station, playing tunes before the curtain falls...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Joe doing Drive up until 7pm, then 'all the gang' (John C, Claire B, Cathal, Kelly Anne and Joe anyway) in from 7-8pm chatting about the station, playing tunes before the curtain falls...

Floody in as well according to Cathal.

Sad day all round :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's people like you who killed the station, texting in complaints when they play hip hop because the only thing allowed to be 'alternative' is Faith No More and Alice In Chains, when people were crying out for an actual alternative music station for 2016, not another oldies hits station. Enjoy listening to Pat Courteney next week.

That's nonsense really. What killed it was the commercial drive which lead to a change in playlists and schedules. Everyone remembers the ads that used to take the piss out of the morning shows on other stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Harsh....and KILL ME NOW...............:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

For all its faults, there's no other station in this country that I'd actively set my TuneIn to on the way to/from work and I'm going to miss it big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Imagine Nova and TX playlists, Cathal replacing the Millers and Joe/Claire in the afternoon.....now THAT i could listen to...;)

That final Song Club, got me right in the feels.
    Real old skool Phantom,
    "pirate station, feeding frenzy"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I've only been listening to them in the past 18 months - I changed jobs and the lads had TX as their default station. I was delighted coming in listening to it every day. I tell you what its opened my ears to bands id have never heard of or hadn't heard in years. With none of the commercial tat you get on the others.
    A sad day for Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

paulbok wrote: »
    That final Song Club, got me right in the feels.
    Real old skool Phantom,
    "pirate station, feeding frenzy"

No way- i was going to call in and look for that in Song Club :D

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    I've only been listening to them in the past 18 months - I changed jobs and the lads had TX as their default station. I was delighted coming in listening to it every day. I tell you what its opened my ears to bands id have never heard of or hadn't heard in years. With none of the commercial tat you get on the others.
    A sad day for Irish radio.

It really has been the only way to hear new music on the radio. I've been listening donkey's years and still hearing new bands all the time on it.
    Even this week I've heard bands I never heard before or never knew their name, I'd love to get the full playlist for the last few day, I mostly listen on my commute and the music has been fantastic, loads of stuff I'd check out if I had the band and tune names, there's a big radio sized hole in our lives from tomorrow that needs filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

It really has been the only way to hear new music on the radio. I've been listening donkey's years and still hearing new bands all the time on it.
    Even this week I've heard bands I never heard before or never knew their name, I'd love to get the full playlist for the last few day, I mostly listen on my commute and the music has been fantastic, loads of stuff I'd check out if I had the band and tune names, there's a big radio sized hole in our lives from tomorrow that needs filling.

If you want new music, seriously check out the live drive show on r na life. They make a point of playing new Irish music and you'll get tunes from a lot of the smaller bands playing EP and the like.

They were pushing Rusengero Family last week, alt hip hop group from Limerick, picking up big hype at the moment. They had Hozier on rotation about a year before take me to church was released too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PL259

Don`t think i was cool enough to listen to TXFM, Sad to see any radio station closing, I`m thinking of the staff today, Best of luck to them in the future.

PL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

not a huge amount of use now, but the website homepage has the 24 most recently played songs:
    http://www.txfm.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Nadine O'Regan wrote about TXFM and the arguments over the playlists, and for me, the playlisted music was TX's major downfall. They must have had external pressure to play playlisted rubbish for extended periods of time and they failed to refresh the playlist on a regular basis.

Despite the playlisted songs on repeat, there was nowhere on Irish radio to listen in to hear some curveball you hadn't heard in ages. I'm really going to miss TXFM and now I've to find a new radio station to permanently have on in my bedroom. I fell asleep to TXFM's nighttime music (which was great and I've Shazamed a fair few tunes over the past few years) and now I may as well turn the radio off and keep Spotify on.

Here's hoping the license is acquired by someone willing to restore a Phantom/TX-esque station to the Irish airwaves. Both will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

Liam92 wrote: »
    Nadine O'Regan wrote about TXFM and the arguments over the playlists, and for me, the playlisted music was TX's major downfall. They must have had external pressure to play playlisted rubbish for extended periods of time and they failed to refresh the playlist on a regular basis.

Yeah, once they took Redacted's shilling they started messing around with heavy rotation of certain songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,667 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Cathal said this morning that the last 6 months were the best.. I read from that they were more free to play what they wanted. This morning we got De le Sac Vs Scroobius pip (TOP tune - "Get Better") followed by Cloudbusting, Kate Bush!!

That's what you want from an alternative station!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Aw jayney... welled up there listening to Cathal saying goodbye :(

Cathal :(

What a lovely man!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Aw jayney... welled up there listening to Cathal saying goodbye :(

dang, I missed it as got called into a meeting :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

What an absolutely perfect goodbye from Cathal. A huge part of his success on TX for me was how personable he was. So he wasn't the most polished - big deal. That was part of what made him work so well in that slot, I think - that and his passion for music. Once he was let loose from those designated playlists, he absolutely thrived.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Cathal said this morning that the last 6 months were the best.. I read from that they were more free to play what they wanted. This morning we got De le Sac Vs Scroobius pip (TOP tune - "Get Better") followed by Cloudbusting, Kate Bush!!

That's what you want from an alternative station!

This, simply this.

Twizzler wrote: »
    What an absolutely perfect goodbye from Cathal. A huge part of his success on TX for me was how personable he was. So he wasn't the most polished - big deal. That was part of what made him work so well in that slot, I think - that and his passion for music. Once he was let loose from those designated playlists, he absolutely thrived.
    At the start of his show I used to wonder "how on earth is this guy a radio DJ". Says a lot about the man's personality and music taste than 2 1/2 years later I'm genuinely gutted I won't be able to listen to his show anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Cina wrote: »
    For all its faults, there's no other station in this country that I'd actively set my TuneIn to on the way to/from work and I'm going to miss it big time.

This.

I only discovered it about 15 months ago, when I heard Feel Good Hit of The Summer by QOTSA at 10am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I missed Cathals goodbye, I'm in my last day of my job too so I was just having a last tea break with one of the lads here :D

Will it be on the playback function ?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

threein99 wrote: »
    I missed Cathals goodbye, I'm in my last day of my job too so I was just having a last tea break with one of the lads here :D

Will it be on the playback function ?

Just checked the app on my phone and the first three parts of Cathal's show are up already - so keep an eye on it and part 4 will surely be up soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Will miss TXFM enormously. They got the balance right between older and contemporary alternative music.

(Even if the presenters could - can we be honest? - come across as a bit too cool for school at times.)

Will miss TXFM enormously. They got the balance right between older and contemporary alternative music.

(Even if the presenters could - can we be honest? - come across as a bit too cool for school at times.)

I hope you don't listen to Nova so, hyper-enthusiasm for everything and trying to be the fountain of all knowledge on why 2 members of Pink Floyd gave each other the stink eye 40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

I hope you don't listen to Nova so,

I don't save for Mike Moloney occasionally on a Saturday.

Pat Courtney is like nails down a blackboard.

Though Nova will pick up a lot of listeners left adrift now.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I felt like a bit of a pleb getting emotional earlier listening to Cathal earlier but he's without a doubt the most personable radio presenter I've heard in a long time, and his taste in music is bang on. Unfortunately though most days I'd only get to listen to his first hour as I have a daily meeting at 8am in work. In the afternoons I hear only snatches of Claire, but Joe is the one I hear the most of. I'm a community nurse, so in effect a lone worker for large chunks of the day. The radio is my constant companion and often a badly needed distraction. I'm going to miss the virtual company of the TXFM crew dreadfully, and I've heard the guys read plenty of emails and texts from people in a similar boat to me.

Advertisement