Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

They're still running ads for a show next Friday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

SteM wrote: »

Speaks volumes of the owner of TXFM that they are running ads or even news at all on the last day of the station they helped to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

SteM wrote: »

Heard that .. id say that's just adds scheduled in the queue and "feck it" we will just play it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

It's almost like a bereavement. I've been listening since early this morning. It's time to find something close on Spotify or Tunedin radio. I couldn't listen to mainstream since the mid 90's and just reaching my 40's I'm lost to think what I'll listen to in the car and when I'm away. Onwards and upwards and I hope we hear all the familiar voices somewhere else albeit not together or the same programs. Anyway, here's to all the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Bus Boy wrote: »
    It's almost like a bereavement. I've been listening since early this morning. It's time to find something close on Spotify or Tunedin radio. I couldn't listen to mainstream since the mid 90's and just reaching my 40's I'm lost to think what I'll listen to in the car and when I'm away. Onwards and upwards and I hope we hear all the familiar voices somewhere else albeit not together or the same programs. Anyway, here's to all the memories.

I looking at it as an emigration, it's terrible that they will be gone tomorrow, but there is hope they will be back somehow soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Oh man... I'm seriously chopping lots and lots of onions listening to Claire Becks heartfelt signing off..

'Together in electric dreams' her last tune.

Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If she continued for even a few more seconds I woulda been a dribbling mess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Clem_Fandango

So, will this thread close tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Probably, then lets all bombard the Nova thread with our thoughts on how theyre getting away with it at the cost of a good station...........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Didn't follow the whole closing down story but I'm amazed TXFM couldn't make it work. They're the station most allied in terms of content to all the major festivals EP, Latitude etc.

Don't agree that the playlists were repetitive at all. They managed to blend so many different genres of music together and make it a coherent whole.

BBC Radio 6 is not an adequate substitute, it's not a patch on TX which says something.

Annie Mac and Huw Stephens BBC Radio 1 from 7pm onwards weeknights is the closest I can think of, although it's mainly new music they focus on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Didn't follow the whole closing down story but I'm amazed TXFM couldn't make it work. They're the station most allied in terms of content to all the major festivals EP, Latitude etc.

Don't agree that the playlists were repetitive at all. They managed to blend so many different genres of music together and make it a coherent whole.

BBC Radio 6 is not an adequate substitute, it's not a patch on TX which says something.

Annie Mac and Huw Stephens BBC Radio 1 from 7pm onwards weeknights is the closest I can think of, although it's mainly new music they focus on.

Those dreaded playlists were truely awful and turned many away from the station.
    Kings of Leon, the Killers, two Door Cinema Club, Snow Patrol to name a few were on constantly. Then you had whoever was playing a big concert, they got overplayed, but the worst was with new songs. Even if you liked it, it got played every show, every day for weeks with the result you were sick of it.

Compare that to the freedom they had the last few months, the music choice has been fantastic, diverse and rarely boring.

TXFM had to compete on a "level playing field" of BAI regulations - Hourly news, Irish content and % of talk. The BAI don't seem to think that an alternative station, by its very nature would have a smaller listenership and therefore couldn't afford to meet these requirements.

The bigger commercial radio stations are all going for the middle ground, which advertisers like. This allows them to defray the costs above. It speaks volumes that no-one wanted the licence when it came up again earlier last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

It's people like you who killed the station, texting in complaints when they play hip hop because the only thing allowed to be 'alternative' is Faith No More and Alice In Chains, when people were crying out for an actual alternative music station for 2016, not another oldies hits station. Enjoy listening to Pat Courteney next week.

Nah "its people like you" who've killed the station. People who clearly think playlisting drivel like Coldplay, Bastille and Lorde on an alternative radio station will work. Enjoy Spin... Not that you aren't already in all likelihood.

Nah "its people like you" who've killed the station. People who clearly think playlisting drivel like Coldplay, Bastille and Lorde on an alternative radio station will work. Enjoy Spin... Not that you aren't already in all likelihood.

Relax guys.. you both killed TXFM!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

woejus wrote: »
    Speaks volumes of the owner of TXFM that they are running ads or even news at all on the last day of the station they helped to kill.

A friend of mine works for Communicorp. S/he told me that since the group bought in, they have invested almost €4 million into keeping the station on air as well as a lot of financial adjustments to try to shield the station from some of it's running costs. That hardly sounds like the actions of killing a station; if anything they may well have kept it on air that bit longer.

A friend of mine works for Communicorp. S/he told me that since the group bought in, they have invested almost €4 million into keeping the station on air as well as a lot of financial adjustments to try to shield the station from some of it's running costs. That hardly sounds like the actions of killing a station; if anything they may well have kept it on air that bit longer.

€4 million! where did it go I wonder. My face has now been shut.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Had it on in the car earlier, Thank You For The Days was playing and I got a bit misty eyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I felt like a bit of a pleb getting emotional earlier listening to Cathal earlier but he's without a doubt the most personable radio presenter I've heard in a long time, and his taste in music is bang on. Unfortunately though most days I'd only get to listen to his first hour as I have a daily meeting at 8am in work. In the afternoons I hear only snatches of Claire, but Joe is the one I hear the most of. I'm a community nurse, so in effect a lone worker for large chunks of the day. The radio is my constant companion and often a badly needed distraction. I'm going to miss the virtual company of the TXFM crew dreadfully, and I've heard the guys read plenty of emails and texts from people in a similar boat to me.

Heard your email to Joe yesterday. Very touching

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Please no?

You mean thats just it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Clem_Fandango

So, they invested about 1,800 a day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Been listening online this afternoon as 105.2 is a no no where I live thanks to "Heart".
    It is staggering the similarity to how people are feeling with the closure of TXFM and the closure of Radio Caroline / London etc all those years ago.

The only difference now to then is the choice that is available online
    we only had the BBC ---- but that still doesn't take away the pain .

Keep smiling ....

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Epic alert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Pudsy33 wrote:
    Epic alert!

The email Joe just read out would bring a tear to anyone's eye

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Jesus Joe... More onion choppin'...

:(

I've cancelled my footie match tonight just to sit in and listen to the end.
    The wife knows I'm in an odd mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

woejus wrote: »
    Relax guys.. you both killed TXFM!

Video did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

threein99 wrote: »
    The email Joe just read out would bring a tear to anyone's eye

Jesus my heart was breaking. Funny, I really disliked Joe at the start but he is now my favourite of the lot. I'll miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Quite ironic that TX did fairly well in today's JNLR book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

Listening all afternoon.... Will be devastated come 8...
    What the fcuk am I going to do?

Nice to charlotts voice again.

Have my car 6 years. Only tuned 2 stations.... Txfm and newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,799 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Optimod may have decided its done already - some very bad audio quality there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Rock Solid

L1011 wrote: »
    Optimod may have decided its done already - some very bad audio quality there.

At least we will be able to hear I RADIO on 105.0Fm

Advertisement