Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

feeding the stream from the transmitter was a possibility but they could also have fed it from a tuner.

Again, that's a strange way to do it, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Someone mentioned 8radio... Any good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Cheap way of doing it though, one pc with a walkman fm tuner and aux cable into the line in.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it is a bit different yes, but you do have the advantage of hearing the fm audio and they have the advantage of using the same processer to do the lot.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ok I know we've been hearImg all the lovely sentiment today, but I just realised how much of a musical void the station filled for me. 2 new babas means my gig going day's have been pretty much non existent.

But also, streamed music has become throw away and vacuous as it's just so cheap to listen to. I could listen the best album of the year, but move on to another the next week because it was so easy to. Txfm helped put a back bone to all the artists they helped me discover, so I now have a reference when I hear songs which were played by them

Aaaaaaanyways, it's been nice spending the last year or so on this thread, hopefully it will stay somewhat alight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What was the final song they played? I missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

quarryman wrote: »
    What was the final song they played? I missed it

Pulp, the day after the revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

feeding the stream from the transmitter was a possibility but they could also have fed it from a tuner. good idea either way as you get a chance to hear the fm audio.

Not sure what you mean by feeding the stream from the transmitter.
    The stream is most likely fed from the studio using its own processing or "possibly" using the analogue output of the processor but this is unlikely as it will be pre-emphasised.

Kensington wrote:
    Cheap way of doing it though, one pc with a walkman fm tuner and aux cable into the line in.

Uh no.

Would have assumed it was just a digital broadcast straight from the studio?

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Uh no.

How enlightening thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Ok I know we've been hearImg all the lovely sentiment today, but I just realised how much of a musical void the station filled for me. 2 new babas means my gig going day's have been pretty much non existent.

But also, streamed music has become throw away and vacuous as it's just so cheap to listen to. I could listen the best album of the year, but move on to another the next week because it was so easy to. Txfm helped put a back bone to all the artists they helped me discover, so I now have a reference when I hear songs which were played by them

Aaaaaaanyways, it's been nice spending the last year or so on this thread, hopefully it will stay somewhat alight

Same sitch as you, although my children are a little older than yours. I got the impression from all the texts and tweets they got in that our demographic made up a huge percentage of their listeners, which is ironic given the reports about pulling in the younger listeners. They connected with a hell of a lot of people in their 30s and 40s and older, which may not have been the intention, but that's what happened.
    Agreed, it's been good to have a place here to talk about the station. Let us know if you guys find any other decent places to listen to that we haven't mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Not sure what you mean by feeding the stream from the transmitter.
    The stream is most likely fed from the studio using its own processing or "possibly" using the analogue output of the processor but this is unlikely as it will be pre-emphasised.

Or an outside firm who took it from FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Anyone with spotify, Joe donnelly has a play list of his last show... Search for Kildarejoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

at least site may stay up for a few weeks to listen back.
    often go back to 11th January to hear the Bowie tracks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Kensington wrote:
    How enlightening thank you.

No problem. You think the stream is taken from a walkman ? Lol.

Slightly tongue in cheek on the walkman bit perhaps ;)

• Advertisement

Or an outside firm who took it from FM.

Possible but unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

JD is gone old looking in those pics above.

Kelly-Anne on the other hand is some girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Kelly Anne is my crush for sure. hubba hubba! Met her too - just as pretty in real life.

glad to have gotten my song into song club.. A bit of Ned's Atomic Dustbin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

jobless wrote: »
    Someone mentioned 8radio... Any good

Decent station, good music variety, we have it on the sonos a bit at the weekends. Big bonus being no ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Frankly it sounded at times as if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

U2 recorded a brief tribute:

Birneybau wrote: »
    U2 recorded a brief tribute:

You just use the part after the /. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I listened to TXFM today when I could. It was only fitting that I should listen to its closedown this evening, having listened to Phantom's launch (licensed) 10 years ago.

It was a sad affair for so many reasons - the biggest being that there is no longer a go to station for alternative music. It's not that I listened to it all the time, but it was nice to have it as an option.

But I was also thinking of the people who had laboured at Phantom for so long and had left the stage since, including its original founder Simon Maher. At the closedown hour, Cathal Funge mentioned John Caddell's influence in the station over the years, which was true. But a number of other prime movers were no longer involved with it - such as Simon, Ger Rowe, Peter Vamos, Aidan Lynch and Moss Breathnach/Jack Hyland.

Incidentally, there were references to people having to find jobs again, etc, etc. They forgot to mention that Claire Beck and Kelly-Anne Byrne already have gigs with Today FM. But I suppose it probably would not have been a good time to be saying that on air in front of those who do not.

I remember in the last week of Capitol/Nitesky - the 1980's mainly alternative pirate in Dublin - there was much talk about where would we get a station like that again. Like Phantom, it also championed local bands. I was so pleasantly surprised when Phantom was awarded a license to play Alternative Rock in the mid '00s and equally thrilled when it launched on October 31st 2006. Now we are back to asking that question that was asked nearly 30 years ago. Of course, technology and radio, hand-in-hand, has moved on so much since then, giving us so many other options now.

The closing track by Pulp, which I had never heard before (and probably will never hear again!), was strangely appropriate. Adventurous music to the bitter end, particularly that long electronic repetitive outro which took up about two-thirds of the song!

I switched over to Nova after hearing static on 105.2 - I should explain I was walking with ear-phones plugged into my phone! The arrival of Nova, of course, was a contributory factor in Phantom's downfall. The next song that came on was "Is It Like Today" by World Party, which included a line that was repeated in the song - "How Could It Come To This". How bizarre that was - it seemed so appropriate to what had happened today

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

started the car up this morning to be greeted by static.

weird to see TXFM on the display but hear nothing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Just downloaded the 8Radio app.

That's as close as we're gonna get I reckon.

Advertisement