Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

jennebean wrote: »
    Cant wait for the sadness to be gone :(

sending all you guys loads of hugs .....maximum 3 awwwwww lol not lol

I was just as gutted when Richie McCormack and Michelle signed off their Pure Morning slot and Phantom as we then knew it ended.
    Sure, we knew TX was on the horizon then, but I wasn't putting faith into it.

I guess I'm secretly hoping, and waiting, something soon will come and fill that big lonely hole...

We have to hope, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Clem_Fandango

One thing that struck me, if they were sharing a building, and surely the same broadcasting infrastructure as Today FM - why were they only broadcasting to Dublin?

Surely if they could broadcast to the entire island, they'd make much more in ad revenue alone. Not to mention they'd gain a wider fan base.

Ummm, the license was for regional.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

To rub salt in the wounds Christmas FM have applied for a temporary license on the tx frequency, 105.2
    http://www.bai.ie/ga/media/sites/3/2016/09/20160923_WebList.pdf

Anyone know if it's been granted?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Dermot2468 wrote: »
    To rub salt in the wounds Christmas FM have applied for a temporary license on the tx frequency, 105.2
    http://www.bai.ie/ga/media/sites/3/2016/09/20160923_WebList.pdf

Anyone know if it's been granted?

as far as i know yes.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Ummm, the license was for regional.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Licencing reasons.

The license may have been regional, but maybe the scope / size of the station out grew that scope. If they had been broadcast to the entire island - they may have been able to grow their revenue.
    Considering we're a small island, it must be pretty hard to break even on ad revenue alone if you're only broadcasting to Dublin.

Anyway, it is what it is I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Listening to Joe's last show play list on Spotify and keep waiting for him to talk after every few songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The license may have been regional, but maybe the scope / size of the station out grew that scope. If they had been broadcast to the entire island - they may have been able to grow their revenue.
    Considering we're a small island, it must be pretty hard to break even on ad revenue alone if you're only broadcasting to Dublin.

The costs of broadcasting nationally are quite large.

Its academic anyway as there was no national licence available, nor was there going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

A semi national (Dublin/ Cork/ Galway / Limerick) version MIGHT have more of a fighting chance than a solely Dublin based one.
    But then, consider BBC Radio 6- it has only hung on for dear life by the skin of its teeth, despite it being in a market of 66million in the UK..

TXFM reached all of Leinster on the FM dial, had many fans in towns like Mullingar, Newbridge, Portlaoise, Dundalk etc but the JNLR only took into account the 1m or so souls in Co. Dublin when tallying ratings (AFAIK)

If you search back through the thread postings on this topic you'll see some detailed reasons (from the more Radio-technology savvy types on here- hello lads!) pointing out the technical challenges it would face going national

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is it time for Thursday Survey? :(

Big Nasty wrote: »

lol, just came here to post the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

LEIN wrote: »
    lol, just came here to post the same...
    "Nova or Radio 8"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Who would you save from a burning radio station - cathal or joe? :)

room_149 wrote: »
    "Nova or Radio 8"

Oops a bit slow there.

Spotify for now but 8 sounds good. So I'll go with 8

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Ugh my drive home was horrible. Flicking from station to station trying to find something decent. Caught myself singing along to Simply Red at one stage. Oh God, what's to become of me??

Kept switching back to txfm in the hope they'd magically be back but no such luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

8Radio.com killin it on the commute home. Now only for a bit of musical chat invetwern tunes we would be set. Even a bit of pre-recorded

Just sayin - kexp just played Run The Jewels --> XTC --> Radiohead. The time shift makes it odd, but their morning show kicks off in the afternoon here and it's a beaut

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

For those of us whose cars are not connected to the fcuking internet, what options do we have? I don't even have an aux input that I can find (despite there being an aux button) on my radio. Things were very different in 2002 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Who would you save from a burning radio station - cathal or joe? :)

Neither, they're not on Nova..............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jennebean

gonna either listen to audio book or call someone on the ay home for the next few days to try curb the 105.2 habit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

For those of us whose cars are not connected to the fcuking internet, what options do we have? I don't even have an aux input that I can find (despite there being an aux button) on my radio. Things were very different in 2002 apparently.

Get yourself a nice cheap FM tuner. Plug it into your phone and you can basically stream any audio from your phone through your radio speakers.

I recommend downloading the 8Radio app for the record :)

• Advertisement

Move to Seattle, dummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

I feel like I've lost a dear friend or something. Been listening to Phantom and TX for several years. Remember coming home from school and putting on phantom and playing games and just relaxing. Became sort of a ritual. Also knowing phantom/tx was always there and I could just put it on anytime and hear familiar voices talking about music in an intelligent and passionate way, and hear great music was really comforting in a way. Discovered so much music and learned a lot about music through the stations too. Now I just feel kind of alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Move to Seattle, dummy.

Or move to California & listen to KCRW. Morning becomes eclectic is always worth a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

just going for Lyric FM, keeping it simple.
    Back to basics !!

Listened to 8Radio up until about lunch time today. Tunes fine but I just find it soulless without presenters. Switched to spotify and even though it was my own choice of music I found that just as soulless. Didn't help that every time I heard a TX tune I was expecting one of the guys to come on after it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jennebean

I know claire and she is going traveling , but id would follow joe to kildare fm if i had to :) and cathal he was ledge too ,

Kelly a byrne seemed to have jumped ship as soon as the news broke I know she started sound atlas afterwards but still....meh.
    she's always on another station or club.

fingers crossed this 8radio gets presenters or txphantom fm becomes a thing.

Kelly-Anne's show was cut along with all the other night presenters months back.

Don't diss the K-A. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Kelly-Anne's show was cut along with all the other night presenters months back.

Don't diss the K-A. ;)
    i don't think that's correct, she said that she chose to stop the show herself, as she had too much other stuff on the go between TodayFM, the heineken sound atlas thing, and DJing in clubs.

e: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=910780329032671&id=690174801093226
    23 June
    Hey guys..PLEASE READ.. there's a bit of a backlash on social media re my departing TXFM, I want to emphasise that the decision to leave was 100% my own, I spoke to management on Monday, when I said I was leaving, they said I wasn't replaceable .. I have too many projects coming up, that includes a new show on Today FM on Suns which will incorporate elements of my TX show, a show with Heineken Sound Atlas starting July 8th which will be broadcast on 5 stations (details to follow) & a summer packed with DJ gigs at festivals & abroad, I can't do everything so I chose to leave & focus on future things. Thank you for listening, the people at TXFM are good people, bear in mind that it's not easy for them. Big love

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

i don't think that's correct, she said that she chose to stop the show herself, as she had too much other stuff on the go between TodayFM, the heineken sound atlas thing, and DJing in clubs.

I absolutely loved KA's show, & she herself came across so well & seems like a lovely person. But I was so glad the other three stuck it out until the end. My first thought when I heard they had 6 months' notice was that we hadn't a hope of keeping them until Oct. Then Cathal said on air that he was going nowhere & would be sitting there until the v last day, & I was so glad. My fear was that the station would limp out due to them losing the main guys to other jobs, & the exact opposite happened. It was hugely admirable how they committed to making the last few months as great as they could be.

• Advertisement

Maybe you're right. I thought herself, Nialler9 and the rest of the late night crew were cut the same time. What you're saying rings a bell now alright though. It was on the cards either way.

Advertisement