Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

Yeah it was a personal attack and completely off the wall at that. I can't imagine John Caddell even saw it, let alone demanded it be removed, but there is a charter for this forum (like every other one) and it was way out of line.
    I did get a laugh out of the notion of "TXFM mods" policing the internet, they barely have the budget to employ DJs... but it shows you the level of poster you're dealing with.

Please point me in the direction of the charter so that I may read it and never be in violation. I get a bit mouthy from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

BrushyMan wrote: »
    Please point me in the direction of the charter so that I may read it and never be in violation. I get a bit mouthy from time to time.

I must point out that I'm not a mod here so have no role in writing or enforcing this but:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057005035

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

R.e. Joe and the arguments against. He comes across as a bit prickly when critiqued, and he should be critiqued, he is way out of his depth. For a so-called alternative station, he is not a man really into his music, listen to the bafflement when he plays a non-well known band. The good DJs on Phantom have always been nerdily knowledgeable about their music.

Claire Beck also gives me the hump sometimes, she likes EVERYBODY. If you like every bloody band then you should be more discerning. I'm sorry if it sounds like snobbery but if any other station played anything remotely different, I'd be on it like white on rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

Whiskey, give me payyyyyyyy-tience.

Oo-wee-oo, I look just like Buddy Holly.

Good song, but, every day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Introducing a new game!
    Go onto the TXFM website sometime in the morning and take a screenshot of the 'recently played list'.
    Now, wait an hour or so and go back and take another screenshot.
    Now, circle the matches you find! To spice it up, have a drink for each match you circle!
    Bonus points for Coldplay....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

Ha! On your instruction, I went over to the website and what were they playing?
    Oo-wee-oo I look just like Buddy Holly!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

Was the Caddell comment that was taken down a personal attack?

If so, then I understand why it was deleted but if not then I wonder what warrants such a tetchy, hypersensitive manoeuvre?

I didn't see the comment, just the reactions.

But Caddell doesn't strike me as the type to shirk away from a chance to show he NOVA's, sorry, KNOWS more about music and is thusly justified in his selections. I would have thought it more likely for him to respond to a jab than delete it.

It was absolutely NOT a personal attack - I don't know john Cadell so that could not be possible.

It pointed out the FACT that Mr Caddell is BOTH programme director AND head of music thus very responsible for the station's output. How this could be seen as a personal attack is hard to know but there you go. Make of that, what you will.

Going on the really nasty private messages I'm getting, TXFM don't like any sort of criticism here so this message will probably be gone within the hour. Though it is a bank holiday so they're probably all at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Just thought Id come in here to give my views.
    When the station first started I thought it was a great playlist. Then I realised this great playlist would have a bit of Chris Martins song about splitting up with the missus which he announced right when the single launched and as far as I know still lives in the house with her.
    Then I realised it would be pretty much the same playlist everyday.
    Then I realised when they alternated from the playlist itd be with very watered down safe stuff.
    That ham sandwhich song started to annoy me.
    I dont like the weekend techno.
    One day I plugged the speaker in my phone and put on floppy boot stomp by Beefheart. Havnt been back in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Joe started off well (kept it toned down, just focused on getting the tunes out) but he's slipping back to the Phil from Modern Family act.

"Do you think bees could outrun a dog? Text TXFM"
    "Why don't restaurants sell bowls of cereal? Text TXFM"

And he's doing that thing where he puts on like a random accent for a single word or just deliberately pronounces it really strangely.

"and they'll be playing at the ...buh-TAWN Factory tonight"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Introducing a new game!
    Go onto the TXFM website sometime in the morning and take a screenshot of the 'recently played list'.
    Now, wait an hour or so and go back and take another screenshot.
    Now, circle the matches you find! To spice it up, have a drink for each match you circle!
    Bonus points for Coldplay....

Have to agree, you could time your watch by some of the plays. Also this morning. Body Movin' was played twice within two hours. Something off with the scheduling.

It was absolutely NOT a personal attack - I don't know john Cadell so that could not be possible.

It pointed out the FACT that Mr Caddell is BOTH programme director AND head of music thus very responsible for the station's output. How this could be seen as a personal attack is hard to know but there you go. Make of that, what you will.

Going on the really nasty private messages I'm getting, TXFM don't like any sort of criticism here so this message will probably be gone within the hour. Though it is a bank holiday so they're probably all at home.

Ah, I see.

Conflicting reports about what constitutes a personal attack among the audience. If it was just a criticism of his OVERLORD(e) abilities then I think it should stand. To criticise the programs and playlist is to simultaneously criticise his performance and/or ability. Furthermore, it stands to reason that in pursuing this argument one can logically deduce that the acting heads of the TODAY/ Txfm branch would also be a bit out of depth. That is, if you reckon that TX is a poorer outfit than Phantom etc.

Before I forget, did anyone else see @Stranded_aoife on twitter report back whilst listening to #petermcpartlin, head of todayfm, give a talk about the state of radio, and specifically, the state of txfm?

In her tweet she paraphrased & gave a direct quote. The tweet, one in a series, about Mcpartlins views on the reaction to TXFM reads:
    " 'Brand count' on txfm is the highest it's ever been. Reaction has been great except for the 'Taliban of music listeners'".

I cannot post link bc I am a new user.

That is a direct transcript taken from a screen grab.

Are we the "Taliban of music listeners"?

Anyone else a bit put off by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Ah, I see.

Conflicting reports about what constitutes a personal attack among the audience. If it was just a criticism of his OVERLORD(e) abilities then I think it should stand. To criticise the programs and playlist is to simultaneously criticise his performance and/or ability. Furthermore, it stands to reason that in pursuing this argument one can logically deduce that the acting heads of the TODAY/ Txfm branch would also be a bit out of depth. That is, if you reckon that TX is a poorer outfit than Phantom etc.

Before I forget, did anyone else see @Stranded_aoife on twitter report back whilst listening to #petermcpartlin, head of todayfm, give a talk about the state of radio, and specifically, the state of txfm?

In her tweet she paraphrased & gave a direct quote. The tweet, one in a series, about Mcpartlins views on the reaction to TXFM reads:
    " 'Brand count' on txfm is the highest it's ever been. Reaction has been great except for the 'Taliban of music listeners'".

I cannot post link bc I am a new user.

That is a direct transcript taken from a screen grab.

Are we the "Taliban of music listeners"?

Anyone else a bit put off by this?

Well let's face it, it's been a pretty dreadful relaunch and brings a new definition to "soft launch" (anybody see the outdoor?). A complete disaster from a digital point of view and unbelievable that they couldn't get their own name right from day one. It's surprising that they weren't willing to take some Phantom listeners on a new journey, quietly ditch the "taliban" and build a new listeners. Hard to see how they are going to do this.

As for the brand count - easy to say that it's been the "highest ever been" on txfm when they've been on air for 2 months so. In reality, in the 8 year history of Phantom/txfm, the brand count and listenership have never been lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I saw your initial message and yes, it was a very personal attack. What you've posted above doesn't remotely resemble the inital post which was a lot more 'colourful'.

That doesn't excuse people sending you 'nasty' PMs, of course.

But TXFM have no role in moderating this board, that's what you're missing in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Report PM to Admins. Click on the little red triangle on the message and Admin can view the PM and take appropriate steps. There is no connection between mods, Cmods or Admin with TXFM.

Yep, the mods are likely to be off living a life over the bank holiday. It's what people do.

Meanwhile, back at TXFM I guess I'm one of the Taliban. Better that than mediocrity the station seems to be aiming for. The last best hope for a terrestrial Dublin based morning radio show is dying on it's feet and I'm off to somewhere else till I find a station aimed at us Taliban.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

People that genuinely like different music=the Taliban.

Give me strength.

Is Peter McPartlin seriously referring to the station's core demographic as terrorists?

What a dope.

Recently played:
    Ray Lamontagne - Supernova
    Damon Albarn - Heavy Seas of Love
    Editors - Sugar (maybe not as constant as the other two, but I did just hear it on the station three hours ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Today was the first time since Phantom left the airwaves that I found myself listening to the radio. Naturally enough, the tuner was still on 105.2 so I gave TXFM a whirl.
    Is it always so bad? I'm more into the heavier/alt side of rock so Ray Macgowan and Spiral stairs were more up my street but I'd usually be open about the indie/soft stuff on daytime Phantom in the past. I was stuck in the car for two hours straight and it felt like 4 while listening to TXFM. I thought it was supposed to be the alt little brother of Today FM? At least on Today FM you might get the odd Nirvana/RATM/Beastie Boys or whatever. The most "alternative" TXFM got today was Coldplay which is mainstream by numbers.
    I thought the whole point of the new station was to cover a wider audience but all it seems to cater for is the ones who'd otherwise be listening to Today FM so they cant be gaining any marketshare? I cant see any of the old fanbase tuning in more than once. Pity XFM Ireland never took off.
    RIP Phantom, as for TXFM, once bitten twice...there wont be a twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Am enjoying Claire Beck and Kelly Anne Byrne's shows. We could do with a bit of Richie Ryan.

Folks, I think there may be some unrealistic expectations about how leftfield programming is likely to be during the daytime. Personally, yeah, I wish they would play it a bit riskier, but all the same, you'll still hear decent stuff that no one else is playing at 3pm on a Tuesday.

I wish they'd fix a few issues with the website though, it's all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

I saw your initial message and yes, it was a very personal attack. What you've posted above doesn't remotely resemble the inital post which was a lot more 'colourful'.

That doesn't excuse people sending you 'nasty' PMs, of course.

But TXFM have no role in moderating this board, that's what you're missing in a big way.

As the original comment has been deleted, I have no idea what it said. Sorry.

However John Caddell is BOTH head of music AND programme director. He's the man with the power - and the man to blame when things go wrong. He's also been with the station since day one so fair play to him for hanging on with the gig. Beats working in the bank.

• Advertisement

Today was the first time since Phantom left the airwaves that I found myself listening to the radio. Naturally enough, the tuner was still on 105.2 so I gave TXFM a whirl.
    Is it always so bad? I'm more into the heavier/alt side of rock so Ray Macgowan and Spiral stairs were more up my street but I'd usually be open about the indie/soft stuff on daytime Phantom in the past. I was stuck in the car for two hours straight and it felt like 4 while listening to TXFM. I thought it was supposed to be the alt little brother of Today FM? At least on Today FM you might get the odd Nirvana/RATM/Beastie Boys or whatever. The most "alternative" TXFM got today was Coldplay which is mainstream by numbers.
    I thought the whole point of the new station was to cover a wider audience but all it seems to cater for is the ones who'd otherwise be listening to Today FM so they cant be gaining any marketshare? I cant see any of the old fanbase tuning in more than once. Pity XFM Ireland never took off.
    RIP Phantom, as for TXFM, once bitten twice...there wont be a twice!

I have big issues with the station but what you are saying is patently untrue. No more alternative than Coldplay? As I type, "Paranoid Android" is playing on TXFM in ther background. Have also heard Nirvana and Beastie Boys almost every day. Now, they may play the same songs by them every day but stil...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Birneybau wrote: »
    I have big issues with the station but what you are saying is patently untrue. No more alternative than Coldplay? As I type, "Paranoid Android" is playing on TXFM in ther background. Have also heard Nirvana and Beastie Boys almost every day. Now, they may play the same songs by them every day but stil...

Maybe it was just the timeframe in question. Either way I shan't be returning.
    As I said earlier, Ray Macgowan and Spiral Stairs were my main interests on Phantom but what I heard yesterday was not to my taste.

Maybe it was just the timeframe in question. Either way I shan't be returning.
    As I said earlier, Ray Macgowan and Spiral Stairs were my main interests on Phantom but what I heard yesterday was not to my taste.

Think they're reading this blog as there was a big improvement today. Still very heavily play listed, but the variance was more on point.

Fair is fair.

I'll slag and backpat in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

Whilst flicking in and out, I heard, Toots and the Maytalls, Fun Boy 3 and a Cult song that wasn't "She sells Sanctuary"! Things were a bit looser today but, unfortunatlely, you knew what the rest of the songs were gonna be. I just hope they're starting to mix it up a bit cos, there is nothing else during work worth listening to on our little wireless, except Ronan Collins of course.

Junk Adele wrote: »
    ... there is nothing else during work worth listening to on our little wireless, except Ronan Collins of course.
    John Kelly on Lyric in the afternoons. Another DJ who gets constrained by the limitations of the station brief yet still one of the best music programs ever broadcast.

The majority in our office has now democratically decided to switch the radio over to Nova on the basis that "I don't know any of these f**king songs" and "It's all music for 13 year old girls now" and even as I type this they're playing Ray Lamontagne again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

The majority in our office has now democratically decided to switch the radio over to Nova on the basis that "I don't know any of these f**king songs" and "It's all music for 13 year old girls now" and even as I type this they're playing Ray Lamontagne again :(

Which song....."superNOVA".......???....:D

Tend to switch between the two thesedays...cant stand Miller (date my dad..seriously..:rolleyes:)., like Greg Goughran, then its back to Joe Donnelly....

Why Nova out of curiosity? For me it's BBC6 or the aul iTunes to the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Why Nova out of curiosity? For me it's BBC6 or the aul iTunes to the rescue.

It's a radio I'd imagine :)

I've been doing the same myself in the mornings and way home in the car. Whenever I tune into txfm, they seem to have the knack of playing the Coldplay song! Happened against yest evening!
    Never listened to John Kelly. Must give him a listen.

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Never listened to John Kelly. Must give him a listen.
    The JK show is for people with a very broad taste in music. Must like classical, jazz, blues, experimental and other just off the wall stuff. Music with a drum and bass backline is a very rare thing on the show. You'll love it after a week.

Advertisement