Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Went into a shop with nova on and Epic was being played! Did joe get a job with them???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

When's this coming back? Sick of Nova and their inane americanized bollox already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

When's this coming back? Sick of Nova and their inane americanized bollox already.

Its bad alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

That Aussie/Kiwi newsreader they have on in the morning, her voice is painful to listen to, real whiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

If Nova just sorted out the moronic, forced ,unfunny behaviour of their breakfast and afternoon show i could cope with that.....
    This morning Miller made a (pre-rehersed) joke about Phil Collins being tiny :rolleyes:...for the next hour this "joke" was slaughtered to death...he's not a naturally funny guy..i met him btw...sorry to be banging on about Nova on this TXFM :( thread....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Pat.

fckin.

Courtney.

8 Radio it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

Been listening to xfm from them across the water....it's ok..the music's good... The presenters not so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

8 Radio, is this being hosted in whelans ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Forgot I didn't yet remove my 105.2 and flicked over by accident on way home instinctively... Static.

Flicked back over to LiveDrive on Dublin Cityfm to hear 'Reconnect' by Director!
    That song reminded me of Phantom so much... The line 'I want to reconnect with you' couldn't have been more apt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Forgot I didn't yet remove my 105.2 and flicked over by accident on way home instinctively... Static.

Flicked back over to LiveDrive on Dublin Cityfm to hear 'Reconnect' by Director!
    That song reminded me of Phantom so much... The line 'I want to reconnect with you' couldn't have been more apt!

I still havent done it and I dont think I will either as mark of respect :cool:

Really missing it Today I usually listen to Dermot and Dave at this time but they are not on this week so I'm at a loss now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Jaysis, LiveDrive was playing some cheese this morning, Westlife included, seems this is a monthly (first wednesday) thing. Hmmm.

I like Chris Moyles on Radio X in the morning, not everyone's cuppa tea, but I've been following him since BBCR1 was relayed by a Dublin Pirate many moons ago. Think Johnny Vaughan is in for him this week?

I also like BBCR6 too, don't get the hate for Shaun Keaveny either, I like his understated delivery in the mornings. He's off this week too though.

That playlist posted for Spotify is decent though, some proper tunes on there, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Definitely missing TXFM (Phantom), listening Nova in the car now, but its not the same. Its just not...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Poncke wrote: »
    Definitely missing TXFM (Phantom), listening Nova in the car now, but its not the same. Its just not...

I know what you mean. It's like have split with a hot girlfriend and now you are drunk in the bar, and contemplating the advances from a rough looking cougar.

I've had 8Radio on all day and like whats playing, so it's becoming my station of choice, but I can't depend on a decent 3/4G signal on my commute up and down to Dublin to listen to it in the car.

We just thinking today, I know Claire becks show was sponsored somewhat by the dairy council, but cathals show and joes show didn't have an obvious sponsor. Am I right in saying that? I wonder if they had someone sponsoring the shows a bit heavier would things have been different....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

We just thinking today, I know Claire becks show was sponsored somewhat by the dairy council, but cathals show and joes show didn't have an obvious sponsor. Am I right in saying that? I wonder if they had someone sponsoring the shows a bit heavier would things have been different....

I think it's obvious that it would have made a difference, lack of money is why it closed. just listened to the last hour there.. emotional stuff, wish them all the best and hope they are just the first chapter on the history of Alternative radio in Ireland.

I think it's obvious that it would have made a difference, lack of money is why it closed. just listened to the last hour there.. emotional stuff, wish them all the best and hope they are just the first chapter on the history of Alternative radio in Ireland.

Fight Like Apes sited TX in their statement for the bands break up yesterday. The loss of them added to the difficulty of new Irish bands to get exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Fight Like Apes sited TX in their statement for the bands break up yesterday. The loss of them added to the difficulty of new Irish bands to get exposure

This was a real stinger for myself (and countless others I'm sure) because now I find it very hard to see where my band will get played on Irish radio.
    We've had a few plays in the UK but never got on TX, bar a quick mention once. TX was the only place for small Alt bands to get air time and now there's nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That and spotify, i.e. people not buying music, which I guess a lot of us are guilty of.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

CianRyan wrote: »
    This was a real stinger for myself (and countless others I'm sure) because now I find it very hard to see where my band will get played on Irish radio.
    We've had a few plays in the UK but never got on TX, bar a quick mention once. TX was the only place for small Alt bands to get air time and now there's nothing.
    Dare to plug yer band, now that you've mentioned it? :)

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    Dare to plug yer band, now that you've mentioned it? :)

I feel like a ****head plugging but **** it.
    Full EP Spotify and iTunes. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Clem_Fandango

Hmmm. Pretty sure that was spillover from Today FM sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would have, but nobody else was willing to sponsor shows with such a tiny audience. Its not like they were turning away sponsors.

TX/Phantom had a tiny, niche audience and onerous costs due to regulations - news/current affairs mostly; also turnover rather than profit or audience based music rights. The Irish content % likely wasn't a concern as they played a lot of new Irish music.

Hmmm. Pretty sure that was spillover from Today FM sponsorship

Today fm, news talk, 98fm are all heavily heavily sponsored. So why wasn't tx? Surely there was someone out there that fit the bill.

Doing the maths, I guess the listener ship figures wouldn't reflect how much a sponsor was willing to pay up?

John caddel had tower records for his weekend show....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Clem_Fandango

Today fm, news talk, 98fm are all heavily heavily sponsored. So why wasn't tx? Surely there was someone out there that fit the bill.

Doing the maths, I guess the listener ship figures wouldn't reflect how much a sponsor was willing to pay up?

John caddel had tower records for his weekend show....

Wow. Tower records. THE tower records?

C'moonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

CianRyan wrote: »
    I feel like a ****head plugging but **** it.
    Full EP Spotify and iTunes. :p

I like it.....have you contacted Nova...their Sunday school caters for new stuff..and you might send a demo to Pat James while you're at it..

I like it.....have you contacted Nova...their Sunday school caters for new stuff..and you might send a demo to Pat James while you're at it..

I've not really dabbled in Nova much as I thought it was mostly classic rock which I'm not into, worth a look though.
    Thanks, buddy! :)
    I like the idea of posting a physical demo, feels authentic. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

a note from Claire here:
    http://dirtinyourfries.com/a-love-letter-to-txfm/

plus the tracklist from her last show:
    11am-12pm
    Joy Division – Transmission
    Father John Misty – Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings
    LCD Soundsystem – Someone Great
    The Clash – Lost In The Supermarket
    Lou Reed – Satellite Of Love
    Talking Heads – This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) *Chosen By Dee Reddy of TXFM’s Sunday Service*
    Jeff Buckley – Grace
    My Morning Jacket – Touch Me I’m Going To Scream Part 2
    Real Estate – It’s Real

12-1pm
    Paul Simon – Graceland
    Rusangano Family – Lights On
    David Bowie – Magic Dance
    Aeroplane – We Can’t Fly
    Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love
    Grace Lightman – Faultless
    Bantum feat. Loah – Take It
    The Stone Roses – This Is The One
    The Postal Services – Such Great Heights
    Shamir – On The Regular *For the Mother Dublin crew <3*
    William Onyeabor – Fantastic Man *For Brian Keaveny of TXFM’s Souled Out, as he couldn’t make it into studio on the day*

1-2pm
    The Cure – A Forest
    Roisin Murphy – Dear Miami
    Hole – Malibu
    Perfume Genius – Queen
    Run The Jewels – Talk To Me *As chosen by Paul Lynskey of TXFM’s Parklife*
    The Decemberists – Make You Better
    Manic Street Preachers – Motorcycle Emptiness
    New Order – Temptation
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Maps *For Rocky*
    The Style Council – Walls Come Tumbling Down

2-3pm
    Prince – Take Me With U
    Girl Band – Paul
    Smith & Burrows – When The Thames Froze
    Deacon Blue – Real Gone Kid *As chosen by Niall Byrne of Nialler9‘s Thursday Night Show on TXFM*
    John Grant & The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra – Sigourney Weaver
    The Kinks – Days
    Otis Redding – Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay
    Neutral Milk Hotel – In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
    Villagers – Set The Tigers Free (live at RAK version)
    Philip Oakley & Georgio Moroder – Together In Electric Dreams

Last song in the 7-8pm hour, co presented with Joe Donnelly, John Caddell, Kelly-Anne Byrne and Cathal Funge
    Father John Misty – Chateau Lobby #4 (in C for Two Virgins)

“We’ll always be together, together in electric dreams.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Forgive my vaugeness below but there is an obvious reason for it.

I was talking to someone today who is related to a staff member that lost their job at TXFM last week. I was told that the individual in question was upset at this loss and is going to be leaving Ireland shortly to spend some time abroad. We both agreed that hopefully this ex-TXFM person might be able to build upon the experience that they got in TXFM. I suggested to the person related to the ex-TXFM person that the latter might be able to get some kind of a related job in the place they are going to. The relative agreed that might be an idea.

By the way, if the person in question does see this, I wish you the best of luck in your future career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

paulbok wrote: »
    I know what you mean. It's like have split with a hot girlfriend and now you are drunk in the bar, and contemplating the advances from a rough looking cougar.

I've had 8Radio on all day and like whats playing, so it's becoming my station of choice, but I can't depend on a decent 3/4G signal on my commute up and down to Dublin to listen to it in the car.

Been dabbling in 8Radio as well as all the other options listed here as an alternative. 8Radio is by far & away my runaway favourite so far. Shame there are no DJs until the evening during the week. I've tuned in on & off today & yesterday & I will definitely be doing that every weekend going forward.
    Can't handle Nova at all. Again, I have dipped in and out since the 27th of Oct & all I have heard is the Nova noise over & over & over.
    Anyway, this thread is about TXFM. I read Claire's blog & it was very heartfelt. She said "I don't understand why it closed" - sounds like she must have felt there was a way to make it successful/profitable over time.

Advertisement