Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Forgive my vaugeness below but there is an obvious reason for it.

I was talking to someone today who is related to a staff member that lost their job at TXFM last week. I was told that the individual in question was upset at this loss and is going to be leaving Ireland shortly to spend some time abroad. We both agreed that hopefully this ex-TXFM person might be able to build upon the experience that they got in TXFM. I suggested to the person related to the ex-TXFM person that the latter might be able to get some kind of a related job in the place they are going to. The relative agreed that might be an idea.

By the way, if the person in question does see this, I wish you the best of luck in your future career.

Claire Beck. I mean, she spoke about travelling on the last show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

Birneybau wrote: »

So did Paul Lynskey on Claire's last show iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

SteM wrote: »

as did Paul Donnigan (sp?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Forgive my vaugeness below but there is an obvious reason for it.

I was talking to someone today who is related to a staff member that lost their job at TXFM last week. I was told that the individual in question was upset at this loss and is going to be leaving Ireland shortly to spend some time abroad. We both agreed that hopefully this ex-TXFM person might be able to build upon the experience that they got in TXFM. I suggested to the person related to the ex-TXFM person that the latter might be able to get some kind of a related job in the place they are going to. The relative agreed that might be an idea.

By the way, if the person in question does see this, I wish you the best of luck in your future career.

Birneybau wrote: »
    everlast75 wrote: »
    as did Paul Donnigan (sp?)

I did not say if the person was full-time or part-time and what exactly they did in the station. So far you have come up with three examples of people leaving Ireland. I won't give you any clues!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

These are odd posts. Don't think anyone wants hints or really cares tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Interesting observation on 8Radio.com with no Dj - with all the lesser known synth bands out there being "heavily influenced" from the 80s, it's difficult to define what's new and what's 30 years old without the show host telling you.

Is that just a complete Dad observation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Whats happened to John Caddell, anyone hear anything...?

These are odd posts. Don't think anyone wants hints or really cares tbh.

It was intended as a discussion about what someone was going to do post-TXFM and I suppose how they felt, given that I knew a relation of theirs. I will admit I did get a bit silly but my intentions were good.

Whats happened to John Caddell, anyone hear anything...?

Of course, it will be difficult for John Caddell on a personal level because he has been associated so long with Phantom and TXFM, going right back to the pirate days. There will also be the issue of his passion for music (and not any old music) and how or where he can satisfy that going forward.

Notwithstanding that, the thing about John Caddell is that he has built up a lot of experience during his many years with Phantom/TXFM. His experience covered various aspects of radio. One would imagine that he would have developed enough skills to secure some kind of radio job. I remember hearing his voice being used for some ad some years ago on Radio Nova, so voiceovers is another possible avenue.

I said it before on this thread. I think a late night music show on RTE Radio 1 might actually suit him.

What are the chances that some TXFM staff might turn up on 8radio.com? That would be a first for 8radio if it does happen!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I downloaded the 8Radio.com app the other day. Aside from picking it up now and again in the car I'd never really listened to it but yesterday I listened for about 5 hours straight, loved every minute of it! Some tunes I knew well enough, plenty I didn't but liked the sound of and the occasional random oldie. Perfect mix for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Just saw that 8Radio posted this on Facebook 2 hours ago:
    We're delighted to announce another run of weekend FM Broadcasts for 8Radio.com in Dublin on 94.3FM from November 19th to December 18th 2016.
    That led me to wonder if Christmas FM got their temp licence for 105.2. I can't see anything official about it, but I just checked their website and sure enough...
    https://christmasfm.com/listenin/fm-frequencies/
    Dublin City & County 105.2FM

I know it's stupid, but it hit me in the solar plexus seeing that. Any entity but Christmas FM...Mariah Carey on 105.2 hurts me to even think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Twizzler wrote: »
    We're delighted to announce another run of weekend FM Broadcasts for 8Radio.com in Dublin on 94.3FM from November 19th to December 18th 2016.
    That led me to wonder if Christmas FM got their temp licence for 105.2. I can't see anything official about it, but I just checked their website and sure enough...

I know it's stupid, but it hit me in the solar plexus seeing that. Any entity but Christmas FM...Mariah Carey on 105.2 hurts me to even think about.

And here's the bit I really don't get....when I was looking this up, it said on the Christmas FM Facebook page that they broadcast on 94.3 last year - which is where 8Radio are going now. Anyone know what the rationale is behind that? Surely it would be more logical to leave Xmas FM where it was and put 8Radio on the 10-year alternative frequency?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

And here's the bit I really don't get....when I was looking this up, it said on the Christmas FM Facebook page that they broadcast on 94.3 last year - which is where 8Radio are going now. Anyone know what the rationale is behind that? Surely it would be more logical to leave Xmas FM where it was and put 8Radio on the 10-year alternative frequency?

Ensures no association between 8Radio and the now defunct TXFM is a possible rationale.

From memory you used to be able to suggest a frequency on the application forms but the actual frequency allocated is in the lap of the gods - its not unheard of to be informed of the frequency days before going on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Couldn't handle a full day of Leonard Cohen! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Couldn't handle a full day of Leonard Cohen! :eek:

One of the best poets and song writers of our generation.

Bowie, Prince and Cohen.

2016 can officially suck my balls!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

everlast75 wrote: »
    Bowie, Prince and Cohen.

2016 can officially suck my balls!

...and TXFM :D

What are the chances that some TXFM staff might turn up on 8radio.com? That would be a first for 8radio if it does happen!

Surely cost would be a big barrier for that? It seems that 8Radio.com is run on a shoestring as eluded to by Simon on this thread. They seem to have a very low amount of advertising and their show hosts seem to do the show outside their normal jobs.

I'm really enjoying the music on 8 radio but I do miss the community feel that the Dj's brought to the shows........u ok hun?

Surely cost would be a big barrier for that? It seems that 8Radio.com is run on a shoestring as eluded to by Simon on this thread. They seem to have a very low amount of advertising and their show hosts seem to do the show outside their normal jobs.

I'm really enjoying the music on 8 radio but I do miss the community feel that the Dj's brought to the shows........u ok hun?

I don't see how there would a cost issue as I was wondering if they would present shows on 8Radio.com in the same way that others already have. 8radio.com already has used some ex-Phantom staff - mainly those who left Phantom around the same time as Simon Maher in 2011. The one exception that I know of was Pearl, who left in September 2012, There has been no links with TYFM era staff so far, but all could possibly change now.

I don't see how there would a cost issue as I was wondering if they would present shows on 8Radio.com in the same way that others already have. 8radio.com already has used some ex-Phantom staff - mainly those who left Phantom around the same time as Simon Maher in 2011. The one exception that I know of was Pearl, who left in September 2012, There has been no links with TYFM era staff so far, but all could possibly change now.

I see. I guess you are talking about the outer staff, Nialler 9 etc. Yeah would like to hear that. Would prefer a day/morning time presenter though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Clem_Fandango

Joe is now Assistant Program Director at Today FM - as listed on his twitter bio.

A few were asking what ever happened to the likely lads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Great news.

Three weeks on and this is not getting any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Not half as upset as I was but still missing TXFM, especially in the car.

Tried 8Radio but lack of presenters turns me off.

Tried Nova, most of the music is OK but can't deal with the presenters.

Tried Today FM and presenters are mostly good (excluding the Fergal chap) but music is more miss than hit.

Have resorted to Spotify only but would definitely listen to 8Radio if there were daytime presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Tried Today FM and presenters are mostly good (excluding the Fergal chap) but music is more miss than hit.

Have resorted to Spotify only but would definitely listen to 8Radio if there were daytime presenters.

This..... In a nut shell.

Anyone know what bitrate 8Radio.com broadcast at?

I may be being petty, but it's easy to hear that low frequency sound from the cymbals in songs. Similar to listening to low bitrate mp3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Anyone know what bitrate 8Radio.com broadcast at?

I may be being petty, but it's easy to hear that low frequency sound from the cymbals in songs. Similar to listening to low bitrate mp3s.

There are 2 streams, 48k AAC+ and 96K mp3.

http://8radio.com/?page_id=595

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you're listening to Spotify, I assume you're on phone/data. Get tune in radio and favourite 6music.

Stopped listening to txfm/phantom ages ago as 6music is a far better alternative. Unless of course you want local gig news and bands of course

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭muloc

The one exception that I know of was Pearl, who left in September 2012, There has been no links with TYFM era staff so far, but all could possibly change now.

Caught Pearl on Sunday 4-6pm....does she have that slot every week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

2XM? Dan Hegarty always does a great show between 10 and 1, this is Mondays playlist for example

Bjork – ‘Army Of Me’
    Punctual – ‘Fix’
    Janelle Monae – ‘Cold War’
    The Avalanches – ‘Frontier Psychiatrist’
    The Avalanches – ‘Subways’
    James Darkin – ‘See You Out There’
    New Order – ‘Tuti Fruti’
    Flume (feat. Vince Staples & Kučka) – ‘Smoke & Retribution’
    Green Day – ‘Welcome To Paradise’
    Three Underneath – ‘Buddy Yeah’
    Run DMC (feat: Aerosmith) – ‘Walk This Way’
    Aerosmith – ‘Sweet Emotion’
    Foals – ‘My Number’ (Hot Chip Remix)

Hour 2:
    Hot Chip – ‘No Fit State’
    TooFools – ‘Touch’
    Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip – ‘The Beat That My Heart Skipped’
    D.A.R.K. – ‘High Fashion’
    Rejjie Snow – ‘Pink Beetle’
    Gil Scott-Heron – ‘No Knock’
    Kate Tempest – ‘Don’t Fall In’
    One Day International – ‘Closed Doors’
    Temple Of The Dog – ‘Hunger Strike’
    The XX – ‘On Hold’
    Jamie XX – ‘Gosh’
    Warhaus – ‘Beaches’
    Gavin Friday – ‘Angel’
    Overhead, The Albatross – ‘Daeku’

Hour 3:
    Whipping Boy – ‘Twinkle’
    Heroes In Hiding – ‘Hospital’
    Warpaint – ‘New Song’ (Jono Jagwar Ma Remix)
    Aik-J – ‘Suite Life’
    Average White Band – ‘Pick Up The Pieces’
    Foals – ‘Miami’
    Tomorrows – ‘The Circle’
    The Beatles – ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’
    RiZA – ‘Thank You’
    Sorcha Richardson – ‘Ruin Your Night’
    Courtney Barnett – ‘Avant Gardener’
    Ben Lee – ‘Nothing Much Happens’
    Runabay – ‘You I Know’
    Few – ‘III’

• Advertisement