Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

It's a pity there's no 'best of' listeners poll this year.

Would have been interesting to hear what was the No.1 song on TXFM in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Liam92 wrote: »
    It's a pity there's no 'best of' listeners poll this year.

Would have been interesting to hear what was the No.1 song on TXFM in 2016.

It wudda been a Bowie song.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

It wudda been a Bowie song.

OR....

Leonard Cohen, Prince, Keith Emmerson and now Greg Lake...bad year....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Leonard Cohen, Prince, Keith Emmerson and now Greg Lake...bad year....

2017 can't come quick enough for Carl Palmer.

Cathal Funge covering for Paul McCloon on today fm on the 27th at 9 pm and a couple more shows that werk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Great hip hop on 2xm last night, around 7-8pm for those interested

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard Nadine O'Regan this evening reviewing books on The Last Word on Today FM. Yes, i know she (and her show Songs in The Key of Life) moved from TXFM to Today FM last summer, but it is interesting to hear recent TXFM voices cropping up in different places/shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

They've all featured on Today FM bar Claire who's not going to unless she does a broadcast from South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I've heard Esther O'Moore-Donohue doing the AA traffic on Today FM a few times too. never really listened to the station before TXFM went off so not sure if she was doing that before?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    They've all featured on Today FM bar Claire who's not going to unless she does a broadcast from South America.

Not all - the majority of the part-time presenters have not been on it. John Caddell would not be counted among those as he was a full-time station manager and often filled in for others anyway.
    I've heard Esther O'Moore-Donohue doing the AA traffic on Today FM a few times too. never really listened to the station before TXFM went off so not sure if she was doing that before?

Esther is one of the other exceptions (along with Nadine) among the former part-time presenters, but she was doing AA Traffic on Today FM long before she joined TXFM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Dee Reddy was doing the news and sport on nova yesterday morning/afternoon. Not a fan of nova by any stretch but it's good to hear former Phantom/TX presenters back on the radio.

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Dee Reddy was doing the news and sport on nova yesterday morning/afternoon. Not a fan of nova by any stretch but it's good to hear former Phantom/TX presenters back on the radio.

I'm delighted that she has got something post-TX FM. Dee started on Phantom as a kind of a TV critic on Simon Maher's afternoon show (Phantom Daily) so she has been associated with Phantom / TXFM for quite a while.

As well as her, there are other former staff from Phantom /TXFM on Nova. There is Jack Hyland (who I thought was gone) - he was standing in for Lisa Gernon this week. He was with Phantom for its entire history and even before as Spectrum, but was got rid of, like a number of others, just before the rename. There is Gavin Glass, presenter of Locals Only on Sundays, who was one of the new names that was on TXFM's schedule when it was launched - he left TXFM last spring. Finally, there is Fiona Scally who is involved in production on Nova - you hear her voice on the gig guides. She spent a few years in Phantom (the full-time legal version) as a producer and presenter and briefly as an acting Programme Director.

Going back to Dee Reddy, I think she has a good voice for reading the news.

Going back to Dee Reddy, I think she has a good voice for reading the news.

Ahhhhh Declan...thats like sayin she has a lovely face for radio.....

Which she has anyways............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

As well as her, there are other former staff from Phantom /TXFM on Nova. There is Jack Hyland (who I thought was gone) - he was standing in for Lisa Gernon this week. He was with Phantom for its entire history and even before as Spectrum, but was got rid of, like a number of others, just before the rename.

Jack used to do a great job as quizmaster at the Phantom quizzes in the Sugar Club too.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

I really enjoyed Cathal standing in for Paul McC on Today FM over the holidays. I wish there was room for them both on that station. If Today FM even gave him a two-hour slot featuring Irish music somewhere in their schedule, like The Listening Post, that'd be magic.

Twizzler wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Cathal standing in for Paul McC on Today FM over the holidays. I wish there was room for them both on that station. If Today FM even gave him a two-hour slot featuring Irish music somewhere in their schedule, like The Listening Post, that'd be magic.

Dont listen to TodayFM...my loss on this occasion.............:(

I had to resurrect this thread again because I recently heard Orlagh Donnelly speaking in Irish (as gaeilge) on Today FM - it was some kind of community notice or gig guide. While I am at it, Shelley Gray has been presenting programs on Saturday evenings this year on Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I had to resurrect this thread again because I recently heard Orlagh Donnelly speaking in Irish (as gaeilge) on Today FM - it was some kind of community notice or gig guide. While I am at it, Shelley Gray has been presenting programs on Saturday evenings this year on Today FM.

You really didn't.

I saw John Caddell on George's Street, said nuthin'

Birneybau wrote: »
    You really didn't.

Busking.....?

:)

Birneybau wrote: »
    You really didn't.

Met joe in a pub before chrimbo!

• Advertisement

Met joe in a pub before chrimbo!

Was he goin somewhere with a gun...:P.

Whats anyone up to..??...Wheres Declan Walsh when you need him....:)...soz, forgot the "A"....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

So, what has everyone settled on now that we're a few months down the line?

I am a mix of Spotify and Nova at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

LEIN wrote: »
    So, what has everyone settled on now that we're a few months down the line?

I am a mix of Spotify and Nova at the moment.

8 Radio and Spotify for me

Was he goin somewhere with a gun...:P.

Whats anyone up to..??...Wheres Declan Walsh when you need him....:)...soz, forgot the "A"....:pac:

Here;s what I know about ex-TXFM staff:
    Today FM:
    Joe Donnelly, Nadine O'Regan, Kelly-Anne Byrne, Shelly Grey and Orlagh Donnelly all seem to be involved with Today FM. Esther Moore O'Doroghue is still doing the traffic on Today FM, post-TXFM. AFAIK Charlotte Flood is still there in the background. Cathal Funge stood in for Paul McLoone - don't know if he is still around. John Caddell turned up on The Last Word as a contributor one evening - don't know if he is still around.

Radio Nova:
    I think Dee Reddy, on the other hand, is doing news and sport on Radio Nova, which also has earlier in 2016 TXFM evacuee Gavin Glass.

SPIN1038:
    Claire O'Dowd returned there much earlier in the life of TXFM.

That's as much as I know!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

FCB1899 wrote: »
    8 Radio and Spotify for me

These on my days off. On my working days in the car it's Dublin City FM morning and evening drivetime, abject misery during the in-between. Bought an fm transmitter yoke in an attempt to play music off my phone but it's a useless piece of crap. FML.

Podcasts and Spotify most days. Odd bit of newstalk just for some talk radio. Haven't been too pushed towards 8 radio because of the lack of presenters, but might tune in again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Finding it hard to warm to 8radio also... Can't put my finger on why. Will try again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

Pat Courtney on the Nova afternoon show is painful to listen. I'm warming to the lads in the morning though

LEIN wrote: »
    Finding it hard to warm to 8radio also... Can't put my finger on why. Will try again soon.

Try it this weekend. Has presenters etc and dead handy on FM. Music is mostly quality

• Advertisement

Pat Courtney on the Nova afternoon show is painful to listen. I'm warming to the lads in the morning though

Do people genuinely think him and those stupid sound effects are funny? Asides from the woman who rings in looking for Gerry Rafferty every day ffs

Advertisement