Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Cathal funge presenting a show on today fm bank hol Monday at 8pm. Irish rock/punk scene in late 70a apparently

Excellent. Those sh1tehawks at Nova would get rid of their naffness issues if they did stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Birneybau wrote: »
    Excellent. Those sh1tehawks at Nova would get rid of their naffness issues if they did stuff like that.

Every time I hear pat courtney's voice a small piece of me dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

mfceiling wrote: »
    Every time I hear pat courtney's voice a small piece of me dies.

His 'unique' radio voice is truly something to behold in the evenings!! Kinda sounds like Pat Kenny after taking an overdose of Mid-Atlantic/Radio Fab FM tablets in an attempt to relieve constipation..

The 'Mr Old Brennan/ Dustin the Turkey/ Mrs Brown soundalikes who he encourages to call in with traffic reports at Rush Hour are the main reason I cant hack Nova at that hour-

"Banal Anto in a van on the line here- Jaysus Pat, the Bleedin M50 is backed up in anyways"

or

"The M7 Pat, jaysus avoid it. Will you play the 'Wind of Change' for me moh?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

room_149 wrote: »
    His 'unique' radio voice is truly something to behold in the evenings!! Kinda sounds like Pat Kenny after taking an overdose of Mid-Atlantic/Radio Fab FM tablets in an attempt to relieve constipation..

The 'Mr Old Brennan/ Dustin the Turkey/ Mrs Brown soundalikes who he encourages to call in with traffic reports at Rush Hour are the main reason I cant hack Nova at that hour-

"Banal Anto in a van on the line here- Jaysus Pat, the Bleedin M50 is backed up in anyways"

or

"The M7 Pat, jaysus avoid it. Will you play the 'Wind of Change' for me moh?"

God it's just tragic.

As much as I'd like to trawl the net for new music, I'm sure I'm missing out on Some decent tunes from the last 6 months since tx shut

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

God it's just tragic.

As much as I'd like to trawl the net for new music, I'm sure I'm missing out on Some decent tunes from the last 6 months since tx shut

8radio has been a fantastic source of new music for me.

• Advertisement

Hear marina and the diamonds on the radio, reminded when phantom used to play her. Didn't particularly dislike her, but always thought it was odd that she made the playlist.

Other unsuitable songs was that milky chance one last year and twenty one pilots started to creep in.

Any other songs that just shouldn't have been played on phantom/tx?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ed Sheeran.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The 1975

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Ugh that Milky Chance song. Ed Sheeran - really?

Ellie Goulding
    Adele
    Bastille
    Imagine Dragons

A good few dodgy irish acts too.

There's definitely more but would happily suffer it to have Phantom/ Tx or something similar back on FM. It's pretty dire out there kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Ugh that Milky Chance song. Ed Sheeran - really?

Ellie Goulding
    Adele
    Bastille
    Imagine Dragons
    2 door cinema club
    corner shop
    The vaccines
    Alt J
    and any other sh1te hipster "indie" band....

A good few dodgy irish acts too.

There's definitely more but would happily suffer it to have Phantom/ Tx or something similar back on FM. It's pretty dire out there kids.

And now all to be heard regularly on that new Indie/rock station Nova.......:rolleyes:

Seriously fcuking Corner shop...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

And now all to be heard regularly on that new Indie/rock station Nova.......:rolleyes:

Seriously fcuking Corner shop...:mad:
    Hey leave Corner Shop alone! They are/were a true indie band of the 90s and were around long before Brimful of Asha. It's not their fault nova play that(every day probably). I reckon nova and possibly a few other Dublin radio stations take their entire playlist from a handful of compilation CDs e.g. The greatest rock anthems in the world ever!, Jeremy Clarkson's greatest driving songs ever, sh1te like that and bobs your uncle -playlist done more or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

TXFM never played Ed Sheeran.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Good. Because they shouldn't have. :D

Sadly...but they did play Cornershop..........:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the deal on the alternative music licence? i had heard that 8 radio were sniffing around it, and they seemed to get several temporary licences over the last few months.

what's the deal on the alternative music licence? i had heard that 8 radio were sniffing around it, and they seemed to get several temporary licences over the last few months.

I never listened to 8 when they were on the fm dial there recently, but it seemed to be only for certain times. Is that the same type of licence? Or were they just able to get temporary air time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I never listened to 8 when they were on the fm dial there recently, but it seemed to be only for certain times. Is that the same type of licence? Or were they just able to get temporary air time?

They were only on at weekends. Whether that is by choice or a condition of the licence I'm not sure.

When they started broadcasting on FM, it was supposed to be a 'proof of concept' with a view to getting a full licence down the road. The second part never materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

They were only on at weekends. Whether that is by choice or a condition of the licence I'm not sure.

When they started broadcasting on FM, it was supposed to be a 'proof of concept' with a view to getting a full licence down the road. The second part never materialised.

The licences granted to 8Radio.com allow us to broadcast for a maximum of 30 days in a 12 month period. We generally break that into two runs - most recently we broadcast in November/December and again in February/March 2017.

You're right about the proof of concept plan - not necessarily just aimed at getting a Terrestrial FM licence down the road, more aimed at getting the station permanence through whatever form and we're working on that.

We've no influence over when/if the BAI readvertise the old Phantom/TX licence. We've made our submissions on future licencing both analogue and digital and it's in the regulators hands now. In the meantime, we're working on building our online world and that's going very nicely thankfully.

Simon
    8Radio.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

SimonMaher wrote: »
    The licences granted to 8Radio.com allow us to broadcast for a maximum of 30 days in a 12 month period. We generally break that into two runs - most recently we broadcast in November/December and again in February/March 2017.

You're right about the proof of concept plan - not necessarily just aimed at getting a Terrestrial FM licence down the road, more aimed at getting the station permanence through whatever form and we're working on that.

We've no influence over when/if the BAI readvertise the old Phantom/TX licence. We've made our submissions on future licencing both analogue and digital and it's in the regulators hands now. In the meantime, we're working on building our online world and that's going very nicely thankfully.

Simon
    8Radio.com

Keep up the good work, i for one am thankful that you guys are around and i am sure i am not alone!!!;)

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Keep up the good work, i for one am thankful that you guys are around and i am sure i am not alone!!!;)

True that...i believe Nova to be regular listeners...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I second that. I listen to them everyday from Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭muloc

+1...been listening most days since txfm went...excellent station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Joe on Today FM now talking about Chris Cornells passing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

threein99 wrote: »
    Joe on Today FM now talking about Chris Cornells passing :(

It's at times like this when TXFM's absence is sorely felt on our FM dial.

room_149 wrote: »
    It's at times like this when TXFM's absence is sorely felt on our FM dial.

A day of Soundgarden\Audioslave and Solo stuff would no doubt have ensued

GG on nova now.....no doubt Courtenay will play some (one) too...and have a story about meeting him i suppose.....

Followed by Audio slave.....this is the type of stuff Nova should be playing every day....it saddens me what they decide what we need to hear...

Joe was on todayfm tonight. Covering for Louise Duffy?

Good to hear him again, and a good time of the evening for a joe show - but I'd say the same if it was 4.30 in the morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Shelley Gray was in for Paula McSweeney this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Shelley Gray was in for Paula McSweeney this morning.

...and she's presenting Saturday Hits today.

• Advertisement

Joe is in for Al Porter on Today FM :cool:

Advertisement