Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The majority in our office has now democratically decided to switch the radio over to Nova on the basis that "I don't know any of these f**king songs" and "It's all music for 13 year old girls now" and even as I type this they're playing Ray Lamontagne again :(
    as rubbish as a lot of the playlisted daytime stuff is, it's still a hell of a lot better than Nova...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

as rubbish as a lot of the playlisted daytime stuff is, it's still a hell of a lot better than Nova...

Yeah, Nova is fair muck. How many times in a day can I be expected to listen to s*** my dad hoovers the car to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

The stuff my Dad hoovers to is a million times better than Nova. It'd be great to hear the Rolling Stones, The Kinks or Johnny Cash instead of 70s pop music.

Nova just reminds me of this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVoM1OvwHsA

but with Werewolf of London instead of Ghost Town

The stuff my Dad hoovers to is a million times better than Nova. It'd be great to hear the Rolling Stones, The Kinks or Johnny Cash instead of 70s pop music.

Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVoM1OvwHsA

Whan i hoover i listen to Planet rock on the telly through the home cinema system....helps to kill the sound of the dyson....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Found an old school Phantom badge when cleaning earlier, sigh :(

How to Murder Your Radio Station in 6 Easy Steps:

1: Fire two of the three most popular presenters
    2: Massively reduce the hours of the other popular presenter and move him to a terrible timeslot.
    3: Shift your deeply unpopular daily breakfast show presenter into the daily drivetime slot
    4: Refuse to play songs your key demographic wants to hear
    5: Repeat mediocre songs every 4 hours, over and over and over and over no matter how much people beg you to stop playing Jake Bugg
    6: Compare your fans to a terrorist organisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I listen online. At some point this morning my stream skipped back by two hours and I remember thinking to myself "FFS, they usually leave it a bit longer to start repeating their playlist" but it took me a good 10 minutes to realise that it wasn't a live feed.

It says a lot that hearing the same songs within two hours of hearing them didn't strike me as out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That fcuking Ray LaMontangue song!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

How to Murder Your Radio Station in 6 Easy Steps:

1: Fire two of the three most popular presenters
    2: Massively reduce the hours of the other popular presenter and move him to a terrible timeslot.
    3: Shift your deeply unpopular daily breakfast show presenter into the daily drivetime slot
    4: Refuse to play songs your key demographic wants to hear
    5: Repeat mediocre songs every 4 hours, over and over and over and over no matter how much people beg you to stop playing Jake Bugg
    6: Compare your fans to a terrorist organisation

:D

In addition to point # 3, have any of you heard Joe Donnelly's 'Oldskool Hip Hop' section on Fridays?!!!
    Credit where credits due, if you like old hip hop/ rap etc the selection of tunes isn't bad -Gangstarr & Guru last week, Pharycde too before that.
    The cringe (or 'Donnelly Factor as I've christened it) only kicks in after he's finished playing the tracks, normally 2 or so, and gives his opinion on each.
    He's managed to perfectly capture the essence of that awful moment in your teens when a father walks into the room and asks you about all this 'Acid Houses' or 'Raggaye' music he heard about on the news.
    It's mind bogglingly surreal stuff, he comes across sounding like a hybrid of Tim Westwood, Smashy & Nicey & Alan Partidge with a flat midlands accent.

• Advertisement

He's basically an Irish Alan Patridge

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

room_149 wrote: »
    :D

In addition to point # 3, have any of you heard Joe Donnelly's 'Oldskool Hip Hop' section on Fridays?!!!
    Credit where credits due, if you like old hip hop/ rap etc the selection of tunes isn't bad -Gangstarr & Guru last week, Pharycde too before that.
    The cringe (or 'Donnelly Factor as I've christened it) only kicks in after he's finished playing the tracks, normally 2 or so, and gives his opinion on each.
    He's managed to perfectly capture the essence of that awful moment in your teens when a father walks into the room and asks you about all this 'Acid Houses' or 'Raggaye' music he heard about on the news.
    It's mind bogglingly surreal stuff, he comes across sounding like a hybrid of Tim Westwood, Smashy & Nicey & Alan Partidge with a flat midlands accent.

I haven't heard it, but now I WANT TO! Approx what time "of a Friday" does Joe drop the Phat Beats and Rhymes?

I haven't heard it, but now I WANT TO! Approx what time "of a Friday" does Joe drop the Phat Beats and Rhymes?
    Sometime between 6:30 and 7:00 of a Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

room_149 wrote: »
    Sometime between 6:30 and 7:00 of a Friday!

I'll be tuning in this week fo' shizzle (unless I forget - lol).

Its funny thay so many loathe Joe Donnelly..i quite like him...kinda the same way i loathed Gerry Ryan, but people couldnt understand why...(still too soon ??)..:o

Its funny thay so many loathe Joe Donnelly..i quite like him...kinda the same way i loathed Gerry Ryan, but people couldnt understand why...(still too soon ??)..:o

I don't like him but I don't hate him either. Lots beat him up on here cos he's kinda like yer mates Da. Dunno why they get so narky tho

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Every time I hear the "new" version of Biffy Clyro's Bubbles, i.e. where they cut it off at 3:23 on the below link, I get the rage...why would anyone do that to that song???? 4:22 is hardly an excessive length for a song...it's like only telling half of a story to cut that bit off.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxUb9Yzr1sE&feature=kp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Christ, they are playing soundalikes and comparing Stupid Girl by Garbage and Train in Vain by the Clash and saying the drum beats are similar. I texted in saying it was an acknowledged sample (nothing wrong with that) and the cnut takes the p!ss. Any of the older Phantom djs would have known that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He called you Pat Kenny :pac:

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He called you Pat Kenny :pac:

Well...

Still, I don't know how he discerned my tone, is it because I text using correct spellings?

• Advertisement

Soundy likeys...That Bell x1 song sounds like a Teddy Thompson song that i cant think of.....anyone expand on that...??

Cathal this morning: "We've had a text in looking for John Grant or the new Depeche Mode song"

That has to be someone ripping the piss

Cathal this morning: "We've had a text in looking for John Grant or the new Depeche Mode song"

That has to be someone ripping the piss

"Yeah, could you please play the new Ray LaMontagne or Future Islands song please? Cheers, Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo"

The sad part is I reckon people are genuinely requesting stuff on the playlist. That used to be one of the problems with random access back in the phantom days.

TXTFM......txt me if you like this song, txt me if you dont...txt me if youre too hot today......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

my solution: don't listen to TXFM before 10pm on weekdays, or 7pm on weekends....

still the same sh1te every day, the "re-brand" was a complete waste of time IMO.

They are running a listener survey via a Survey monkey poll over on Facebook now if you have a few minutes spare.

Could you link me to the survey? Can't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Went onto their Facebook page and couldn't find it. What I did see was a new blog post writing about.... Ray Lamontagne. Who would've fcuking guessed it?!

• Advertisement

It appears to have disappeared. I first noticed it in the side panel of my Facebook feed this morning along with the usual adverts.

Advertisement