Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TXFM (formerly much missed Phantom) line up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Birneybau wrote: »
    "Yeah, could you please play the new Ray LaMontagne or Future Islands song please? Cheers, Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo"
    I am so sick of that Future Islands song. Today in the space of 3 hours, I heard the new Kasabian song twice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

As much as I like Cathal Funge, yesterday's show had a text-in yoke which was really embarrassing.

Cathal wanted people to text in songs with one-word titles, which is bottom of the barrel stuff.

However, I do really like his presenting style, so I'll let this one slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

TXT FM, we can't be bothered to shell out for a second presenter so our staff have to beg for texts to fill airtime between songs.

I'm actually quite impressed with Keith Walsh over on 2FM now. He manages to keep the show motoring along nicely with no stuttering. The other two are awful and the jokes are dire, but he's doing a stand up job of it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

TXT FM, we can't be bothered to shell out for a second presenter so our staff have to beg for texts to fill airtime between songs.

Nothing new here. Phantom relied on this jaded trick day in day out for years and they wonder why people gave up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 indiekid

I thought that I would get over it when Stadium Rock finished, but I haven't. Am at a loss what to listen to on Saturday afternoons. Tried that Parklife show, but it says nothing to me about my life. Where is Richie Ryan now?

• Advertisement

Credit where credit's due, the music on Joe's show has vastly improved this week.

However, since they seem to think the people of Dublin can't go 4 minutes without hearing John Grant, they've given him his own radio show (implied to be a once off).
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since I've never heard him present a show before, but I can't say I'm on tenterhooks for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

Credit where credit's due, the music on Joe's show has vastly improved this week.

However, since they seem to think the people of Dublin can't go 4 minutes without hearing John Grant, they've given him his own radio show (implied to be a once off).
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since I've never heard him present a show before, but I can't say I'm on tenterhooks for it.

Just heard that ad today for the first time. Been away but back in work where TX is on d'radio. Weird ad. He doesnt seem thrilled at all to be doing it.
    Gotta love how excirra Grant sounds when he says "How could I resist". You can almost hear where they edited out the sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

As you know i'm the first to complain about TXTFM..or Nova..:o...but credit where its due..that John Grant show today was the best thing i've heard in a long long time...his choice of music is similar to mine and his voice was very easy on the ears too...fair play..i'll deffo listen again on sunday night at 9 for the repeat..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Missed it, I'll definitely tune in for the repeat.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Missed it, I'll definitely tune in for the repeat.

If youre allergic to the shyte they normally play then deffo listen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

http://www.txfm.ie/player/blogs/921.922.944/196
    He came, he DJed, he conquered. Here's a run-down of what John Grant played on his exclusive 15.2 TXFM show last Friday. What a gent.

3pm
    The Three Bells - Jim Ed Brown & The Browns
    Turkish Delight - 2nd Chapter Of Acts
    Unbeschreiblich Weiblich - Nina Hagen
    Leopard Tree Dream - Giorgio Moroder
    U.S. Drag - Missing Persons
    It's Not Right - Devo
    No Fear, No Hate, No Pain (No Broken Hearts) - Eurythmics
    Sometimes (Dr. Hirsch) - Yello
    When Mama Was Moth - Cocteau Twins
    This Time Of Night - New Order
    Hearts and Minds - Nitzer Ebb

4pm
    Dig It - Skinny Puppy
    You Know What You Are - Ministry
    Fantastique - Chris & Cosey
    Down By The Water - PJ Harvey
    Jenny I Read - Concrete Blonde
    Teeth - Kristin Hersh
    Rainy Night House - Joni Mitchell
    Von Nun An Ging's Bergab - Hildegard Knef & Engel Wider Willen
    Gerum Betur - Pikknikk
    Moscow-Odessa - Vladimir Vysotsky

5pm
    Animal - Jenny & Johnny
    On My Mind - Colder
    King Vincent - Solvent
    Hotspot - Foxy Brown
    Hooch - Kelis
    Collection Privée - Come Aguiar

Three hours without playing Mr Tembo or anything by Kodaline? The lads in TXFM must've been shítting themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

Fair play. I know I'm not really a fan of TX but that playlist it deffo more like it. Here's to hoping they take a feckin' chance and play more like that. Haven't listened in a few days (Body & Soul) so I don't know if they've learned a thing or two from his visit. Have they or is it more of the same heavy playlist s***e? He was pretty amazing live & that Pale Green Ghosts is whopper.

i don't think they really need John Grant to tell them there's a lot more than Kodaline and Elbow out there tbh. some of the evening/weekend shows are more "experimental" than Grant's.....
    the decision to playlist pop-rock guff and push whatever is sent to them by promo companies is a conscious made from management level. i know from a number of DJs who have been there that many find the playlist full of rubbish that they'd rather not play.

It's not doing them any favours though. Judging by the listening figures and general interaction with their blogs/twitter etc, I don't think anyone is listening to the station.
    I guess people aren't too bothered about hearing pitchfork rejects and their 5 or 6 monthly songs played every 3 hours.
    I won't be surprised if the station gets canned in the next year or just rebranded and reformatted into a proper pop/light-rock station under the Spin banner (Spin Alternative? Spindie?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

It's not doing them any favours though. Judging by the listening figures and general interaction with their blogs/twitter etc, I don't think anyone is listening to the station.
    I guess people aren't too bothered about hearing pitchfork rejects and their 5 or 6 monthly songs played every 3 hours.
    I won't be surprised if the station gets canned in the next year or just rebranded and reformatted into a proper pop/light-rock station under the Spin banner (Spin Alternative? Spindie?)

Apparently there was a "Spin Rock" on the cards a few years back. If they were to do so they'd probably have more joy launching an online rock/indie station under the SPin name then trying to do so on the FM band.

I'm not surprised their social interaction is poor - they ditched the thousands of fans/followers that Phantom had built up through some really poor decisions made by whoever looks after their digital marketing.

Even with the new name and branding there's sod all visibility for the station out there. Same contras (i.e free) in print that Phantom had and I think I spotted an ad on one of those event poster sites. It's seem to be the same old inertia since the station moved into Marconi house under a different name.

Licence comes to an end in October 2016. It will be interesting to see who applies or if indeed the BAI award it at all. If they don't they might be doing applicants a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Three hours without playing Mr Tembo or anything by Kodaline? The lads in TXFM must've been shítting themselves

I love how much Mr Tembo seems to rile people up. It's a lovely little song but should be taken in small doses, too sugary to be ingested every feckin hour.

Havent had a chance to listen for a few days...has anything changed since the John Grant show,did they learn anything..... or is it business as usual...??

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭room_149

Just after passing by Kilmainham/ Imma and have looked at what's on offer there this week -Elbow, Weller, the Coronas, Jack White etc
    Proper Joe Donnelly, Dad rock style stuff going on there.
    Wonder if they consulted with him or TxFM when they were booking those artists?

Havent had a chance to listen for a few days...has anything changed since the John Grant show,did they learn anything..... or is it business as usual...??
    of course it hasn't. it's not like people in TXFM have never heard of most of the stuff Grant was playing....

management seemingly think there's a better chance of increasing listeners by playing the same pop-indie that TodayFM etc play, so stick with that.

why they still fail to realise that this doesn't bring in new listeners, while driving away old listeners, is beyond me....

1rkGn5Z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'd be very surprised if a guest d.j. changed a station's entire personality/business model...

of course it hasn't. it's not like people in TXFM have never heard of most of the stuff Grant was playing....

management seemingly think there's a better chance of increasing listeners by playing the same pop-indie that TodayFM etc play, so stick with that.

why they still fail to realise that this doesn't bring in new listeners, while driving away old listeners, is beyond me....

1rkGn5Z.jpg

Yeah ..listened for a few hours today...same shyte back again.its a bit depressing and insulting tbh,,,,its like they dont realise that some people listen every day , and dont give a crap about the mundane playlist with the odd "this'll shut them up" track.....yawn...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Junk Adele

I have tuned in from time to time, in the hope that something will be different. I keep hearing the same songs and the odd crowd pleaser. I have texted 4 different "DJ's" (politely) to play a different Future Islands song (they released a new single weeks ago). 2 DJ's ignored me totally and 2 lead me to believe they were going to. Only for them to play the same fecking song again.
    It is similar to the old Henry Ford saying, "You can have any song you like as long as it's on the Play List"

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Junk Adele wrote: »
    I have tuned in from time to time, in the hope that something will be different. I keep hearing the same songs and the odd crowd pleaser. I have texted 4 different "DJ's" (politely) to play a different Future Islands song (they released a new single weeks ago). 2 DJ's ignored me totally and 2 lead me to believe they were going to. Only for them to play the same fecking song again.
    It is similar to the old Henry Ford saying, "You can have any song you like as long as it's on the Play List"

Well said. Even Hozier has a new song out and they're still playing 'From Eden' like it's brand new.

Whoever's in charge of the playlist must freshen it up on a regular basis. It's a very good radio station with a lot of potential and they must not become an FM104 station where they cling to a 'new' song for ages without realising that it's not new and just stale really.

Junk Adele wrote: »

Joe Donnelly did that to me. He actually read out my request, and then just played something different. Why read it out on air at all then? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I totally agree. I got a Cheer or Sneer played a few weeks ago which, imo, went down pretty well as there were a few texts in after looking for the artist and album name. "We'll definitely be playing more of this" has of course become never hearing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Vojera wrote: »
    I totally agree. I got a Cheer or Sneer played a few weeks ago which, imo, went down pretty well as there were a few texts in after looking for the artist and album name. "We'll definitely be playing more of this" has of course become never hearing it again.

Which band was it?
    Funny how reluctant Joe was to play Black Moth Super Rainbow despite how cheered it was in the end. He thought it was too 'out-there', when it's the kind of stuff they need to be playing more of - not NME's latest overhyped one-hit wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Which band was it?
    Funny how reluctant Joe was to play Black Moth Super Rainbow despite how cheered it was in the end. He thought it was too 'out-there', when it's the kind of stuff they need to be playing more of - not NME's latest overhyped one-hit wonders.

Guys with respect, who cares? Nobody listened to the station when it was Phantom and less than nobody is listening now!

Its funny that the line-up at Glasto was a bit like listening to TXTFM......'cept for Dolly and some new group called Metal licker or something....:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Which band was it?
    It was Karin Park. She got a really positive response. I'm hoping some day she'll play a show in Ireland but people have to know who she is for that to happen!
    Guys with respect, who cares? Nobody listened to the station when it was Phantom and less than nobody is listening now!
    I don't care that they said they'd play more of her and didn't, I care that they play the same play list ad nauseum and ignore when people clearly want something different. Would it hurt to play things that people are actually asking for rather than the same Coldplay track four times a day?

Advertisement