Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interrail ticket or not?

• 28-03-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Had planned on getting the 10 trips within 22 days ticket which is 399Euro.
    However, because most of the trip is based on Eastern Europe, might it just be cheaper to get tickets at stations as we need them? Or is the flexipass worth it?
    Regarding night trains, how much extra can we expect to pay for a night train ? i know there are various options but roughly speaking.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's worth it from the point of view of not having to deal with the hassle of figuring out tickets and buying tickets off people for whom English is not a first language.

It'd be pretty easy to find out the cost of the tips you're taking singly and weigh it up versus the pass.

As for supplements; anything from €3-€5 for a seat (which you definitely do need to book, even on the short hops, unless you like standing/sitting in the carriage corridors) up to €40 for the night trains if you want your own compartment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

My experience has been, when you' re travelling in Western Europe (UK, Germany, France, Austria...) and in Scandinavia, moving from place to place every day or two, the interrail pass is worth it. It's great value, and if you're not in a hurry and don't need to take the TGV, ICE... it's a bargain.

In Italy or Eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Greece), trains are slow and tickets are cheap, so the pass generally works out more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thank you both.
    Yes I'm trying to get my bf get his arse in gear so we can book our trip, hopefully this week! I know that night trains etc needed to be booked, didn't realise about all of them. Do you think where possible then that we should have all journeys booked beforehand?

Our trip is probably Prague - Krakow- Budapest - Belgrade - Sarajevo - Split with one or two more thrown in. I'm guessing the pass would be a bit of a waste? I will do more research and try to find prices etc but just wondering if ye knew offhand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Re booking the trains; easiest thing to do is when you arrive into the next City book your outbound train there and then (i.e. if you arrive in Prague and are heading to Krakow, book the seat/bunk to Krakow when you arrive into Prague).

Wouldn't know offhand the single ticket prices but xe.com and Google will sort you out there.

Advertisement