Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Type of Grass Harrow

• 28-03-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭

Looking for advice as to which harrow type is best for poached ground and general grass maintenance, the older traditional chain type mats (beaconsfield type), or the cast iron ring mats with levelling bar (ritchie type)

Asked this question last year but didn't really get a definite answer then the weather turned and places dried up I never actually bought a harrow. Thinking of purchasing again now. I can buy both within about 5 miles of home for similar money both 12 or 14ft mounted units.

We would have heavyish ground if this would make a difference as to which type in better. Both salesmen reckon their type is superior to the other.

Any opinions? Anyone use both in their time and what did ye find better? Most reason for buying would be for repairing any poached areas. All field s would have been reseeded relatively recently so would be using it on any older lays.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

I bought one of these last year. It's a heavy duty Hackett type with 7/16" tines so it should last a lifetime if minded. It is made up of 2 four ft sections. It can be worked 3 ways, on it's back, tines back at high angle and tines back at low angle.

http://www.williamhackett.co.uk/products/chain_harrows/paddock_harrows/s-444

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

Thanks Pat how do you find it? Was it for repairing poached ground you got it and what kind of a job did it do for you? What type of soil would you have?

It was a mounted version of one of these I was thinking of or else this type

Bought it for repairing all the poaching damage done last year. I used it in the mid way, with the tines back at a high angle. Very happy with it. Don't have a lot of experience with other types so cant compare.
    I plan to maybe use it for scrathing the land too for reseeding. We'll see. It may need a weight added on top for this.
    Land here is all types.:D Upland with good red earth to low lying corcas type.
    The main reason I went with this type is it looked the most sturdy of all. Seen enough of other types on Donedeal in bits to stay away from those types.

Cheers Pat. Similar set up here with regard land type with plenty of corcas land which invariably gets some poaching every year around troughs and gaps etc. Very few harrows around local and if possible I want to get one that suits land type etc. I don't mind paying for a thing as long as it does what you want it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

We use an einboch. It's expensive but does a great job on grass growth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Reggie. wrote: »
    We use an einboch. It's expensive but does a great job on grass growth

Be interested to know what sorta money they are.... They look the business to me with the seeding kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

I priced them this week a 3metre is 2500+ vat and a 4.5metre is 4300+vat pity they're so dear I hear they're a good yolk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

agriman27 wrote: »
    I priced them this week a 3metre is 2500+ vat and a 4.5metre is 4300+vat pity they're so dear I hear they're a good yolk

A few pop up on DD the odd time if ye keep your eyes on it ye might get a good one

A few pop up on DD the odd time if ye keep your eyes on it ye might get a good one

Ya nearly want to buy new as they are easy broke tbh

Ya nearly want to buy new as they are easy broke tbh

seen a few in good condition on it though

• Advertisement

seen a few in good condition on it though

The tines are where the money is and hard to see them broke or bentt on a photo

The tines are where the money is and hard to see them broke or bentt on a photo

Are they dear?

Are they dear?

I think a fiver a tine. Now I could be wrong as I haven't looked for any in a while

I think a fiver a tine. Now I could be wrong as I haven't looked for any in a while

Would you buy one that might need all he tines replaced if ya got it cheap enough or do you think the whole steel in the body and tine bed of it would be shook aswell

Would you buy one that might need all he tines replaced if ya got it cheap enough or do you think the whole steel in the body and tine bed of it would be shook aswell

They ain't too strong and have to be minded

They ain't too strong and have to be minded

Thanks it's good to hear the real truth about them. Did you ever use yours to reseed by just spraying off with round up and using the einbock to ruff it up an sow the seed, that's what I'd be hoping to try and use it for because my ground doesn't suit ploughing

Thanks it's good to hear the real truth about them. Did you ever use yours to reseed by just spraying off with round up and using the einbock to ruff it up an sow the seed, that's what I'd be hoping to try and use it for because my ground doesn't suit ploughing

It can be done but the seeder is 1200 again on top of the 4500. Wouldn't mind giving it a go sometime but trying to get the FIL to agree is another thing altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

How do you rate the rakeman on dd? Irish made . Do they all have adjustable tines like this?

satstheway wrote: »
    How do you rate the rakeman on dd? Irish made . Do they all have adjustable tines like this?

Very same as the einboch only stronger built. Would hold up to more abuse. It uses the same seeder as the einboch but can't be got as wide as the einboch. 3m is the width of it.
    Prices should be as follows (there abouts)
    Einboch 4.5 with hyd folding is €5000
    Einboch 3m is €3500
    Rakeman 3m is €2950
    Rotaspreader seeder for either harrow is €1200
    All them prices include vat.

You could use your fertiliser spreader and just pull the harrow behind it.

• Advertisement

Seen the rakeman & einboch types on DD alright they do look the business to be fair but I doubt the budget would extend that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭nhg

After following Reggie's posts, took the plunge & bought the Rakeman 3000, it cost €2700. Didn't bother with the seeder as it can be purchased later on (in the region of €850).

Very happy so far. Below is a picture from a spot where the cattle had a made track up a hill and around a quarry heading to the water tank before being harrowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭nhg

This is the same spot after a few runs of the harrow, threw a few grass seeds on it, will spread fertiliser today as this is one of the fields we plan on cutting pit silage on.

Good to hear it's working out for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

nhg wrote: »
    This is the same spot after a few runs of the harrow, threw a few grass seeds on it, will spread fertiliser today as this is one of the fields we plan on cutting pit silage on.

Fair job lad

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fixitagaintomo

Any use on moss?

Anyone notice more moss than normal in fields this year. I noticed in a couple of paddocks that there is some moss creeping in. I can't say I ever noticed much of it until this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

PN14 wrote: »
    Anyone notice more moss than normal in fields this year. I noticed in a couple of paddocks that there is some moss creeping in. I can't say I ever noticed much of it until this year.

Ya, I noticed the same thing here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Sami23

Anyone know how to reduce or get rid of moss in normal conditions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Nitrogen+S (sulphur) I think a few lads said. Isn't it sulphate of iron that is used on lawns?

also a rattle of a chain or grass tine harrow wouldn't do any harm

Hoping to invest in the Rakeman myself in the next month or two to try tackle the moss that has taken over

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

It might be worth getting the mossy areas soil tested, as moss can be a by product of a slightly low pH! Liming should get rid of it in these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

nhg wrote: »
    After following Reggie's posts, took the plunge & bought the Rakeman 3000, it cost €2700. Didn't bother with the seeder as it can be purchased later on (in the region of €850).

Very happy so far. Below is a picture from a spot where the cattle had a made track up a hill and around a quarry heading to the water tank before being harrowed.

Would it be any use for a full reseed? And would that seeder at 850 just be a simple spinner like a fert shaker?

Any use on moss?

Does a great job on it

Damo810 wrote: »
    Would it be any use for a full reseed? And would that seeder at 850 just be a simple spinner like a fert shaker?

Yeah it's like a little spinner. Not sure on the whole re seed tho as never tried it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Used an einbock(same idea) to do reseed here last year, it was ploughed tilled and rolled before sowing. It did a great job on sowing in the grass and gave it just a nice covering to,

the seeder on it was one with the pipes though, about 6 pipes or could be 8 across 4meters. Rolled again then after!

Zr105 wrote: »
    Used an einbock(same idea) to do reseed here last year, it was ploughed tilled and rolled before sowing. It did a great job on sowing in the grass and gave it just a nice covering to,

the seeder on it was one with the pipes though, about 6 pipes or could be 8 across 4meters. Rolled again then after!
    Ye the pnumatic ones are 2500 more I think

The pneumatic seeder that was

Yeah thats the one couldn't think of the name! And as gg says serious money..... :( but at the same time i wouldn't be mad on the spinner type, as a single disc will throw more out to one side, and then there's also the risk of wind blowing around such a light seed... I suppose your only trying to throw it across 3-4meters tho...

Yeah thats the one couldn't think of the name! And as gg says serious money..... :( but at the same time i wouldn't be mad on the spinner type, as a single disc will throw more out to one side, and then there's also the risk of wind blowing around such a light seed... I suppose your only trying to throw it across 3-4meters tho...

Friend reseeded last year with an einback on a power harrowed field and it had the little spinner on top.
    It was a brilliant job. Lovely thick bed of grass

• Advertisement

This is the kind of result I got from the 'Ranger' type grass harrow. This was an area inside a gate that was badly poached.

This is the kind of result I got from the 'Ranger' type grass harrow. This was an area inside a gate that was badly poached.

That's a right job there

It might be worth getting the mossy areas soil tested, as moss can be a by product of a slightly low pH! Liming should get rid of it in these circumstances.

Got the soil tested there a few weeks ago pH is fine low P and K. put stuff out on it there on Saturday. still needs a harrowing though. I was trying one of those spike tooth harrows I have, but I may as have been using the back of me bollix to lift the moss

http://www.dhfm.ie/new-farm-machinery.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=295&category_id=6

Spotted this in the journal today and thought it sounded like a fairl decent job, sort of a mix of both types of harrow, so should be good for levelling off... The blurb in the add says its 10mm tines.

Anyone seen one up close?

http://www.dhfm.ie/new-farm-machinery.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=295&category_id=6

Spotted this in the journal today and thought it sounded like a fairl decent job, sort of a mix of both types of harrow, so should be good for levelling off... The blurb in the add says its 10mm tines.

Anyone seen one up close?

Noticed it on donedeal before but never seen it in the flesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Wouldn't like to be going the road with it with those tines sticking out. Easy pull the side of a car!:eek:

Muckit wrote: »
    Wouldn't like to be going the road with it with those tines sticking out. Easy pull the side of a car!:eek:

Be no different to an einbock or the likes when they have the seeder on and have to fold up with tines pointing out..

You just have to adjust them so there in as tight as can...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Be no different to an einbock or the likes when they have the seeder on and have to fold up with tines pointing out..

You just have to adjust them so there in as tight as can...

Einbock doesn't fold up with tines out, it folds up with tines facing down and raised to tractor cab height. It's very safe there's frame at 8ft wide and nothing outside that.
    I wouldn't like to meet a pedestrian or cyclist on a narrow road with that other harrow.

Einbock doesn't fold up with tines out, it folds up with tines facing down and raised to tractor cab height. It's very safe there's frame at 8ft wide and nothing outside that.
    I wouldn't like to meet a pedestrian or cyclist on a narrow road with that other harrow.

Neighbours one with the seeder folds tines out tho... Dont think there's room for them to fold with tines facing down over the seeder on 4.5m one, think tines would be stuck into the seeder box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Seen the rakeman & einboch types on DD alright they do look the business to be fair but I doubt the budget would extend that far.
    i think i told you last yr pn the richie type are the best going, i think they are the biz.
    the einblock dont have a levelling bar on them richie do have

• Advertisement
Advertisement