Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Masters 2014 * Warning Post #19 *

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He could go very well in this year's Open Championship.

Good shout, he has won the Irish Open on links.
    He has really surprised me this year, kicked onto another level, I'd be the same as Denis, I just can't picture it though.

That said, he looks a shoe in for RC and I wrote him outta that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Donaldson played for the first time last year and missed the cut by 1.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

9d52ee36b85711e3add112b8d6ee8100_8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Got a new TV last year, so I am really looking forward to watching this in 3D!

McIlroy and Fowler just flew into Augusta on private jet a short while ago to have a few practice rounds before departing for Houston tomorrow. Not jealous much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

I will accept that I am in the absolute minority here, but the Masters is possibly my least favorite (neck and neck with USPGA) of the majors. Its unfair that it is an invitational, it bestows undue advantage to those who play it year after year. Its unfair that it has no(virtually) rough. Never mind that it gets to make its own rules up as we witnessed last year.
    I get that people like it cause they become familiar with the holes as it is the same course year after year, but all the stuff about putting dye in the water, the butlers cabin, "we have patrons not crowds", icing the flower beds to ensure they don't bloom too soon puts me off.
    I'll still watch it.

Favorite moment is probably my 1st memory of it. Player shooting 30 on the back 9 to come from 7 shots off the pace to win by 1. He had to wait for about 2 hours after his round, watching one after another (including Green and Watson) come up short. All that at the age of 42. There was a feeling at the time that no one over 40 would ever win a major. This was disproved later by Irwin, Trevino and of course Nicklaus.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭josie19

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Got a new TV last year, so I am really looking forward to watching this in 3D!

I hope you bought a 3D telly so:D

I will accept that I am in the absolute minority here, but the Masters is possibly my least favorite (neck and neck with USPGA) of the majors. Its unfair that it is an invitational, it bestows undue advantage to those who win it year after year. Its unfair that it has no(virtually) rough. Never mind that it gets to make its own rules up as we witnessed last year.
    I get that people like it cause they become familiar with the holes as it is the same course year after year, but all the stuff about putting dye in the water, the butlers cabin, "we have patrons not crowds", icing the flower beds to ensure they don't bloom too soon puts me off.
    I'll still watch it.

Favorite moment is probably my 1st memory of it. Player shooting 30 on the back 9 to come from 7 shots off the pace to win by 1. He had to wait for about 2 hours after his round, watching one after another (including Green and Watson) come up short. All that at the age of 42. There was a feeling at the time that no one over 40 would ever win a major. This was disproved later by Irwin, Trevino and of course Nicklaus.

First point... it's not solely invitational. If you are top 50... you play. If you don't get an invite... well, play better for next year and get inside the top 50.

Second point.. you think the masters committee makes the rules now? I heard that a lot last year. The R&A and USGA created Rule 33-7 long before the Tiger incident. I actually think it was a result of Harrington's unfair disqualification several years back.

The rule for clarity...
    33-7. Disqualification Penalty; Committee Discretion
    A penalty of disqualification may in exceptional individual cases be waived, modified or imposed if the Committee considers such action warranted.

The Masters relied on an existing rule. People suggesting they "made rules up" are just completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I think Rory is going to win this well. 2 or 3 shots.

Only thing that I'm unsure - will Day stay all the way.

I think Day is off a nice mark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    First point... it's not solely invitational. If you are top 50... you play. If you don't get an invite... well, play better for next year and get inside the top 50.

Second point.. you think the masters committee makes the rules now? I heard that a lot last year. The R&A and USGA created Rule 33-7 long before the Tiger incident. I actually think it was a result of Harrington's unfair disqualification several years back.

The rule for clarity...

The Masters relied on an existing rule. People suggesting they "made rules up" are just completely wrong.

Nope, no matter how you dress it up its an invitational. By way of contrast, Kevin Phelan qualified and then made the cut in the US Open. Similarly the British Open runs a series of qualifying events that allows wide numbers to attempt to qualify.

I believe you are correct in the reference to the Rule 33-7. So I'm sure you're technically correct. However the rule was brought in as you say to avoid incidents such as Harrington's. In essence it is so that a player is not disadvantaged by viewers spotting errors (moving ball, club touching grain of sand in bunker, etc) on HD TV slow mo replays. It was not to deal with a situation where by a player deliberately drops the ball 6 feet further than he was supposed to and opens admits to this fact. The fact that a committee whose has no link the wider game (ie the USGA or USPGA) gets to make the decision undermines it as well. While they are entitled under the leter of the law, it was without question against the spirit of the rule and I believe would not have been applied in any other major. Its instructive when asked a question in relation to the ruling, "USGA spokesman Joe Goode directed questions back to Augusta National and the Masters tournament committee"
    Morfitt makes a pretty good summary of the position http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-should-withdraw-2013-masters.

Anyway I accept that I am in the minority of 1.

Would have to respectfully disagree with you Trapper. The rule was in place and the committee decided a DQ would be unjust.

Anyway.. hopefully this year, it's great golf that fills the headlines and not ruling debates. I'm hoping it's Rory's year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

I will accept that I am in the absolute minority here, but the Masters is possibly my least favorite (neck and neck with USPGA) of the majors. Its unfair that it is an invitational, it bestows undue advantage to those who play it year after year. Its unfair that it has no(virtually) rough. Never mind that it gets to make its own rules up as we witnessed last year.
    I'll still watch it.

+1
    It's the most contrived of all the majors, it has to be the most sterile and "disneyland" like of all golf tournaments, but you have to hand it to the founders, they know their market well.
    In saying all that I still enjoy watching the action just don't enjoy all the "exclusive BS" that people buy into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

I'll still watch it.

You gotta be kiddin me!

The Masters is paradise on earth.

It is perfection. It is an unattainable dream of an ideal world. It not only is the complete conquering of nature, but the refashioning of it into an improved version of itself. The ghost of Bobby Jones blesses it, harking to a golden age of amateur sport, optimism, and belief in the American way. It drips with the glorious old world tradition of the the old South, where spring comes early, the perfect flowers are always in bloom, and caddies know their place as anonymous underlings in uniform white suits serving their masters. It is golf course design perfected, without rough, where shot making and short game touch are everything. It azeleas. Its Jim Nanace. Its Sarazen's double eagle. Its magnolias. Its the Butler Cabin (built back in 1964).Its Amen Corner. It doesnt start until the back nine on Sundy. Its Hootie Johnson. Its been Tiger proofed. Its where Ike's Tree used to be. Its the amateur winners lodging on the course. It is an American tournament for American boys. With some added 'visitors'. Where the likelyhood of stumblebum journeymen 'stealing' a major is minimised. It is won by GREAT GOLFERS.
    It looks beautiful, we know every curve, tree, creek, and undulation. It is beautiful.
    Its The Masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

You gotta be kiddin me!

It is perfection. It is an unattainable dream of an ideal world. It not only is the complete conquering of nature, but the refashioning of it into an improved version of itself. The ghost of Bobby Jones blesses it, harking to a golden age of amateur sport, optimism, and belief in the American way. It drips with the glorious old world tradition of the the old South, where spring comes early, the perfect flowers are always in bloom, and caddies know their place as anonymous underlings in uniform white suits serving their masters. It is golf course design perfected, without rough, where shot making and short game touch are everything. It azeleas. Its Jim Nanace. Its Sarazen's double eagle. Its magnolias. Its the Butler Cabin (built back in 1964).Its Amen Corner. It doesnt start until the back nine on Sundy. Its Hootie Johnson. Its been Tiger proofed. Its where Ike's Tree used to be. Its the amateur winners lodging on the course. It is an American tournament for American boys. With some added 'visitors'. Where the likelyhood of stumblebum journeymen 'stealing' a major is minimised. It is won by GREAT GOLFERS.
    It looks beautiful, we know every curve, tree, creek, and undulation. It is beautiful.
    Its The Masters.
    Nice copy and paste.

Nice copy and paste.
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Nice copy and paste.

I was just about to thank that post. You've ruined the glory of it now & my delight at the use of the printed tongue!
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

Don't think it was a copy and paste. At least not of anything that currently appears on the internet anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

McIlroy and Fowler just flew into Augusta on private jet a short while ago to have a few practice rounds before departing for Houston tomorrow. Not jealous much.

Surprised they were allowed play it actually.

Degag wrote: »
    Surprised they were allowed play it actually.

Yeah a lot of them will get practice rounds in during the few weeks before. Stephen Gallacher will play a round with Sandy Lyle this Saturday.

Interesting reply when the most recent qualifier, Steven Bowditch, was asked about his knowledge and preparation for Augusta .. "The only time I have played Augusta was on the playstation" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

I think it is time for Jason Day to win a Major!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Zach Johnson has got to be a threat the way he's playing at the moment

Keegan Bradley on good form, long hitter and decent putter

Luke Donald starting to look good again and a phenomenal short game - is he long enough?

I also see Trevor Immelman is coming back into a bit of form so could have an outside chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Jason Dufner has been within a sniff of the lead after the first two rounds for the last two Masters only to fall away at the weekend.

More experience now and if he can post a score on the Saturday then he'll be in with a chance on Sunday,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

You gotta be kiddin me!

Its The Masters.

And here was I thinking that if you played better than anyone on a given week you would win a tournament. But no turns out unless you are a "great" golfer you are stealing it. You learn something new everyday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

alxmorgan wrote: »
    And here was I thinking that if you played better than anyone on a given week you would win a tournament. But no turns out unless you are a "great" golfer you are stealing it. You learn something new everyday :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that the point is that you need to be a great golfer to play better than everyone else at the Masters? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the point is that you need to be a great golfer to play better than everyone else at the Masters? :confused:

you need to be a great golfer just to be invited, such is the criteria for invitation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

I think Zach Johnson will be in the mix (a much as I dont like the chap)

and Harris English will be up there, he has really kicked on

The Masters on telly means the qualifying season here in Ireland has really kicked off cuts, point .1's and the butlers cabin.....oh and Peter Alliss

Yes but if you read the line the implication is that the other majors can be sullied by being won by some no name.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Sean_pop

Zach Johnson has got to be a threat the way he's playing at the moment

Keegan Bradley on good form, long hitter and decent putter

Luke Donald starting to look good again and a phenomenal short game - is he long enough?

I also see Trevor Immelman is coming back into a bit of form so could have an outside chance?

Luke Donald could win because Zack Johnson won Masters and he did not go for any par 5 in 2. Luke Donald short game is not as good as Zack Johnson though IMO.

Yes but if you read the line the implication is that the other majors can be sullied by being won by some no name.

Yes, that is the implication. but please note that it was written (by myself, despite the libel above) as a slightly humorous reply, with more than a touch of tongue in cheek. I didnt give it any great thought and it would not necessarily represent my views. I dont think anyone else should analyse it too deeply either. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Hasn't been a European winner of the Masters since the last millennium!

Time to put that right, Rory or Sergio for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

and I think a lot of people would agree with that implication. I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Westwood always goes well enough at the masters would love to see him do it.

Reckon Zach will be in the mix too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Been thinking about it and I'm in the Rory corner. I'm even going to ignore what happens this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Could see a outsider winning it this year.

Zach Johnson 2007 type of victory.

I would love to see Sergio win it.

Does anyone know if any holes have changed much over past 12 months?(not caused by weather)

Nearly always a major change in the course somewhere.

and I think a lot of people would agree with that implication. I would.

So you are saying that the Open is sullied by Todd Hamilton winning it for example ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I think Jordan Spieth might have a good go at this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

Only one winner this year as long as his Thumb holds up.

That's Jason Day.

Just announced, Tiger is out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Ye, he has had a back operation to correct a pinched nerve in his back, hopefully he'll return to full health soon. Probably isn't as big a loss because he's not 100% fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Cjs21 wrote: »
    Just announced, Tiger is out

It's on his site, couldnt imagine him doing an April fool :eek:

It's on his site, couldnt imagine him doing an April fool :eek:
    Bad news for sponsors.

Can't imagine him doing it either. Even though I'd love it was just an April Fools but as you say, I can't see him doing that.

Nike putting all their hope in Rory to do the business now! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Yeah a lot of them will get practice rounds in during the few weeks before. Stephen Gallacher will play a round with Sandy Lyle this Saturday.

:D

I didn't think that "non members" like I presume Fowler and Mcilroy are would be allowed practice rounds. Maybe they are out with a member though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Every time Tiger has missed a major as a pro, an Irishman/N.Irishman has won ;)

2008 Open and USPGA, 2011 US Open & Open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Every time Tiger has missed a major as a pro, an Irishman/N.Irishman has won ;)

2008 Open and USPGA, 2011 US Open & Open

Harrington in with a chance so. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads give a top 3
    See who wins

If you get a winner.
    Winner 6 Points -
    Top 3 3 points
    Top 10 1 point.

Only score once per player.

Obviously just came up with that. Not sure if it makes sense yet.

I'm going

McIlroy
    Day
    Garcia

Put them in what order you think they will finish - but this does not change your points. But gives you additional kudos for getting winner - maybe this will be tie breaker - (work in progress this :) )

Bold them for some reason - just to make it handy to pick up after - or just to feel like a mod for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Day
    Dustin Johnson
    Zach Johnson

It's a shame Tiger is out.. first Masters since 1994 with him not playing. Like him or hate him, he always adds to the show and especially so around Augusta.

Top 3:

McIlroy
    Kutcher
    Day

I would have Day further up but his lack of playing as a result of his thumb injury is a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Dustin Johnson
    Jason Day
    Graham DeLaet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

McIlroy
    Dustin Johnson
    Garcia

• Advertisement
Advertisement