Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Masters 2014 * Warning Post #19 *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

215 yards over water with 50+ yards of draw and people on boards reckon they have played similar shots, April fools day was yesterday.

Skip to 4.05 of this clip and he played another huge hook with a 5 iron on the 9th hole to make birdie in 2010.

Love him or hate him he is a huge loss, nobody else can bring what he brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Oh really... I beg to differ.

As I said I reckon I could do that but as someone else said I might be able to pull ito off once every 3 times whereas Tiger can do it everytime...
    that's what makes him a champion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

YayaBanana wrote: »
    215 yards over water with 50+ yards of draw and people on boards reckon they have played similar shots, April fools day was yesterday.

Haha.. couldn't agree more. Some people on here can be entertaining.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Really love the Sunday of the Masters

Anyway my top 20 are as follows

Rory Mc
    Scott
    Johnson
    Reid
    D Johnson
    The G Mac
    Bubba
    Sergio
    Fowler
    Day
    Stadler
    Kuchar
    Z Johnson
    English
    W Simpson
    Donaldson
    R Moore
    Howell 3
    Poulter
    Dufner

I bet I'll change my mind before the end of the day...so hard to predict...

I know I'd change my mind

Rory Mc
    Scott
    Johnson
    Reid
    D Johnson
    The G Mac
    Bubba
    Sergio
    Fowler
    Day
    Chris Kirk
    Kuchar
    Z Johnson
    English
    W Simpson
    Donaldson
    R Moore
    Howell 3
    Walker
    Dufner

As I said I reckon I could do that but as someone else said I might be able to pull ito off once every 3 times whereas Tiger can do it everytime...
    that's what makes him a champion

You have to be joking. I bet you couldn't do it with 100 balls. Again, he played a high 50+ yard hook from 215 yards over water with an iron.

I bet most players on here couldn't hit an iron 215 yards never mind the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I know I'd change my mind

Rory Mc
    Scott
    Johnson
    Reid
    D Johnson
    The G Mac
    Bubba
    Sergio
    Fowler
    Day
    Chris Kirk
    Kuchar
    Z Johnson
    English
    W Simpson
    Donaldson
    R Moore
    Howell 3
    Walker
    Dufner

El Pato is going to be there again this year. I can feel it!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭josie19

You have to be joking. I bet you couldn't do it with 100 balls. Again, he played a high 50+ yard hook from 215 yards over water with an iron.

I dont think the distance is relevant comparing pros and amateurs. That was probably a 6 iron for tiger. I can hit a 6 iron about 160yds and I could cetainly hook it 40 yards. The further it has to travel the more it will hook.

But like Greebo says I'll try it 20 times and it will come off once or twice, but amateurs are capable of hooking a golf ball.

Opps - may have dragged things slightly off topic with the pro v amateur point. Anyway.. back to the golf.. some of the "Inside the shot" videos Sky did last year were really very impressive when they superimposed Mark Roe into the shot. Check out Mickelson's shot from between the trees and Oosthuisen's albatross too. Buba's famous playoff win is there too.

http://www1.skysports.com/masters/video/24523/8640454

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I dunno, he's pretty good at making Top 20 lists so what's to say he couldn't pull the off....

They have descended. Next few weeks will be fun.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Top 20 predictions.. o_0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I fancy Pat Perez to finish 21st.

I fancy Pat Perez to finish 21st.

I had him to finish 19th originally but changed my mind and think he might finish 21-30. Will kick myself if he does come in 19th though

Opps - may have dragged things slightly off topic with the pro v amateur point. Anyway.. back to the golf.. some of the "Inside the shot" videos Sky did last year were really very impressive when they superimposed Mark Roe into the shot. Check out Mickelson's shot from between the trees and Oosthuisen's albatross too. Buba's famous playoff win is there too.

http://www1.skysports.com/masters/video/24523/8640454

Watching that mickleson shot again was just magical! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

alxmorgan wrote: »
    But to say it sullies the tournament to have him win it is ridiculous. If that's the case then the 18 handicapper winning the captains prize sullies it. Nobody grows up wanting to be an 18 handicapper.

I dont think the Captain's prize comparison is relevant.

In the Masters, or pro golf in general, we know it isnt a level playing field. Some golfer are better than others and have a greater chance of winning. Lesser golfers, have a lower chance of winning, but when they win, they as fully deserve it as the better golfers. But, we knowing some golfers are fundamentally better than other, (most people anyway) prefer the idea that the majors find out the best golfers, and we are more satisfied with majors justifying their 'Major' status when it ends up won by one of the golfer generally regarded as one of the top 10% or so in the field. Too many one-off, or making up the numbers rare tournament winners nabbing one does question the essence of the greatness or purpose of the major.

In contrast, in the Captains prize (in theory anyway), no one competitor is any better than any other - due to the handicap system, everycompetitor starts out 'equal' and with an equal chance of winning. The winner is predominantly determined by two factors : the random variation of who happens to play well relative to their handicap on the day - and (unfortunately), who ever happens to have the most incorrect handicap. So while fun, a captains prize has only fake prestige, since it is not really a competition to find who the best golfer is - unlike the Masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Also what people forget to mention about the Tiger shot is how quickly he managed to stop the ball.

Anyway onto this event.
    Apparently Jason Day is only doing short game work and not touched his irons in a while.

Anyway onto this event.
    Apparently Jason Day is only doing short game work and not touched his irons in a while.

2014 is turning out to be the year of injuries! That's a shame for Day that his thumb must be still at him - he's very good around Augusta.

2014 is turning out to be the year of injuries! That's a shame for Day that his thumb must be still at him - he's very good around Augusta.

Well its only a rumour although its been mentioned about 4-5 times from where I have seen so must be some truth in it.

Ya agree these injuries are bit crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Anyway onto this event.

Drive for show, putt for dough. Dont bother with irons.

Phil is heading to Houston after spending the last 2 days practicing at Augusta..
    Phil Mickelson spent the past two days practicing at Augusta National and was headed to Texas on Wednesday afternoon for this week's Shell Houston Open.The three-time Masters champion said on his website that the plan all along was to skip the Houston pro-am and instead fulfill his duties by visiting with sponsors.

"I played nine holes today at Augusta and I felt pretty good,'' said Mickelson, who is ranked fifth in the world. "I was able to swing fine. I just felt sore as opposed to hurting."

Mickelson withdrew from the Texas Open after 11 holes of the third round on Saturday with an injury to his right oblique muscle. After a weekend at his home near San Diego, he headed to the home of the Masters for two days of practice prior to the first major championship of the year, which begins next week.

Mickelson has yet to finish among the top 10 this year on the PGA Tour, although he did have a runner-up finish at his first event in Abu Dhabi.

He withdrew from both the Farmers Insurance Open and the Texas Open, where he made the cut on the number.

"I feel that to give myself the best chance at the Masters, I have to play in Houston,'' said Mickelson, who is grouped for the first two rounds with Keegan Bradley and Webb Simpson. "If I thought I would injure myself further I would have withdrawn from the tournament, but the last few days have been good.''

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/10716911/phil-mickelson-practices-augusta-national-play-shell-houston-open

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BubbaM

Does anybody know much about Jason Day's injury? If he's fully fit, I think he'll be the one to beat! Kuch and DJ should also go well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

well done - ok besides me messing.

How do we keep the headbangers out.
    GreeBo is back to himself there, so that will help.

:P
    Its a week away and the thread is already starting to grow tentacles. Aaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes - scrub - Didn't think I'd be the "crazies".

We will have to have turns to be the crazy fodder. My turn this week. Some dude telling me what I can post :P:D
    Best of luck with that one.

"MAAAAASSSSHHHHH POTATTTOOOOEEEEE"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Ernest Oreo

McIlroy is favourite according to PP :eek:
    Whats the basis for that??

think i'll go Jordan Spieth on an e/w

He's won two majors, nearly blew the field away in 2011 before inexperience got the better of him, has a great long game suited to Augusta, streaky putter, and seems to be coming back to form.

If I was a bookie I'd make him favourite but more like 14/1 fav and not the ridiculous 8/1 - Scott should be about 14/1 also. Very open this year so the price of the fav should reflect this.

best to find a 30-1 ++ gem that'll be in contention going down the 18th
    Spieth for me at this point.
    Altho I might also grab a speculative long shot

cant see Rory winning this - doesnt have the game right now for Augusta.
    and as usual he'll push things from around the 10th hole on Thursday and probably all day Friday.
    8-1 is totally crazy PP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Take your betting talk elsewhere please or be banned for the duration of the Masters, your choice, no further warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

I still miss the BBC's Wednesday evening preview with Steve Ryder.
    Always a great way to get enthused.

Dustin Johnson is 2nd in the 3 putt avoidance stats on the PGA Tour.

A big hitter who is putting well you say?? :)

snaphook wrote: »
    I still miss the BBC's Wednesday evening preview with Steve Ryder.
    Always a great way to get enthused.

Dustin Johnson is 2nd in the 3 putt avoidance stats on the PGA Tour.

A big hitter who is putting well you say?? :)

Don't think 3 putt avoidance is a great stat (though it would be for me!). Holing consitently from 4-5 feet is probably a better stat which I think Zack Johnson is high on the leaderboard in that area.

josie19 wrote: »
    Don't think 3 putt avoidance is a great stat (though it would be for me!). Holing consitently from 4-5 feet is probably a better stat which I think Zack Johnson is high on the leaderboard in that area.

Strokes gained Putting is surely the most important putting stat, and DJ is ranked no.11 and Zach is ranked no.47.

And on putting inside 5 feet, DJ is ranked T35, and Zach is ranked T44.

Zach is usually ranked better in putting stats but he hasn't putted well the last couple weeks I've seen him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Word from the camp is, good practice round in Augusta the other day and he is playing great.

I'm gonna hold judgement because every year The Masters throws something at us and I can see an unexpected win from someone like Harris English or yea, even Donaldson. Would love Garcia to do the business but just can't see it happening.

Fingers are crossed anyway and I hope he can do it.

Strokes gained Putting is surely the most important putting stat, and DJ is ranked no.11 and Zach is ranked no.47.

And on putting inside 5 feet, DJ is ranked T35, and Zach is ranked T44.

Zach is usually ranked better in putting stats but he hasn't putted well the last couple weeks I've seen him.

Just shows how perception can be untrue. Can't remember Zack missing from 4-5 feet but the TV directors only tend to show guys holing putts. I was probably out getting a beer while he was missing them :D

Isnt that only useful/comparable if you are all putting from the same distance on the same green/line (especially at Augusta!)
    Also how many full shots difference are between 1st and 50th in that stat?

I think its pretty difficult to meaningfully compare stats across players tbh.

are Setanta embarrassing themselves with the Par 3 comp again this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

GreeBo wrote: »
    Isnt that only useful/comparable if you are all putting from the same distance on the same green/line (especially at Augusta!)
    Also how many full shots difference are between 1st and 50th in that stat?

I think its pretty difficult to meaningfully compare stats across players tbh.

I'm pretty sure it accounts for where people are putting from (distance wise anyway), otherwise I don't see how it would work at all. It's the type of stat that may not always be totally accurate if you're dealing with a small sample size (one round for instance) but is almost certainly both highly accurate and highly useful if you have plenty of data (10 tournaments for instance).

The question regarding how many full shots difference there is between 1st and 50th though is a good one and not an answer I know off hand.

Carpo86 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it accounts for where people are putting from (distance wise anyway), otherwise I don't see how it would work at all. It's the type of stat that may not always be totally accurate if you're dealing with a small sample size (one round for instance) but is almost certainly both highly accurate and highly useful if you have plenty of data (10 tournaments for instance).

The question regarding how many full shots difference there is between 1st and 50th though is a good one and not an answer I know off hand.

I just think that in a place like Augusta all 10foot putts are not equal, I take the point that it probably balances out to make an average score useful, but I think it loses something why you try to compare individual players etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

It is very good for comparing players across a decent period of time and telling you who, in an overall sense, who the best putters on tour are.

It doesn't necessarily predict who the best putters at Augusta though (some guys who generally putt well might struggle on such quick greens for example),

Also, as you say, using it during the Masters to figure out who is putting the best that week is a bit problematic (although perhaps less problematic that all alternatives!) as Augusta is a bit extreme in the 'not all 10 footers being the same' stakes.

This isn't an issue across multiple weeks/a season as the law of large numbers will take over and these things will even themselves out.

With Harrington doing so well early on who knows he might just make the MAsters. If he does I think I'd have to change my top 20 predections because I think if he's in he'll be there or there abouts. Won't update it just yet as I don't want to jinx it...

With Harrington doing so well early on who knows he might just make the MAsters. If he does I think I'd have to change my top 20 predections because I think if he's in he'll be there or there abouts. Won't update it just yet as I don't want to jinx it...

I have to admire the relentless optimism of some people about PH but he's only -3 through 10 behind K Bradley -5 through 10 and M Kuchar -4 through 9. The pessimist (realist) that I am I'd expect him to be further from the lead than he is now after 18. But lets not go to war on it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Too late, you've said too much already, at least now we have someone else to blame :pac:.

I would love to see Jimenez win it.

The man makes a Beer Belly cool!

And that warm up. Beautiful:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Even if PH does by some fluke does win this week, he has never really come close at Augusta when he was at the top of the tree (twice 5th), so why on earth do people think he would have a chance when his game is essentially in the gutter!!!!

See Cabrera going well today in Texas... what is it about Masters time that kicks him into gear?! :D Love it. He has had a horrid season so far.

stevieob wrote: »
    Even if PH does by some fluke does win this week, he has never really come close at Augusta when he was at the top of the tree (twice 5th), so why on earth do people think he would have a chance when his game is essentially in the gutter!!!!

I agree to extent, but if you dont buy a raffle ticket and all that......

See Cabrera going well today in Texas... what is it about Masters time that kicks him into gear?! :D Love it. He has had a horrid season so far.

El Pato!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No, no, no, ye all need to think again, this year is Poulter, 1st in driving and 2nd in GIR at Nova, week holidays in Bermuda, playing this weekend and he'll be Scotting a green jacket on the Sunday, it's all over before it started...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

hardly warranted a new thread. The Guardian article which cites McIlroy's reaction to the news that Woods is out of the Masters
    The Northern Irishman, who has a bit to go before reaching Woods's status but can reasonably claim to be the second best in the sport although currently ranked No7 in the world

I can only presume that the inference is that Woods is the best (not number one, but the best). Is that really true? Or could they be referring to someone else?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

uberwolf wrote: »
    hardly warranted a new thread. The Guardian article which cites McIlroy's reaction to the news that Woods is out of the Masters

I can only presume that the inference is that Woods is the best (not number one, but the best). Is that really true? Or could they be referring to someone else?

Just look up the official world golf rankings and it will detail who's gained the most points this year = best player at the moment

slave1 wrote: »
    No, no, no, ye all need to think again, this year is Poulter, 1st in driving and 2nd in GIR at Nova, week holidays in Bermuda, playing this weekend and he'll be Scotting a green jacket on the Sunday, it's all over before it started...

Not that great a start for him today -2 with 3 bogeys on the card. I think he's too short for Augusta. Mike Weir was exceptional the year he won it - some par 4s he couldn't reach but his up and down game was majestic that week. Zack Johnson also, but played the par 5s particularly well by laying up. Augusta really does favour the longer hitters when you take Johnson and Weir out of the last 20 years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dustin Johnson withdrawn from Houstin after an 80.

I hope it is an injury - because , anybody withdrawing from an event because of bad play - is pathetic in my eyes.
    We all have bad days , get on with it. People are there to watch event.

• Advertisement
Advertisement