Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent cookies announcement

Options
  • 28-03-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

Hello. Could you detail the change?

That privacy page is kinda freaky. You guys are collecting a LOT of data. I'll be honest, the "purpose" field doesn't really give the purpose. It's gives details of what it does, but not the actual purpose (as in, it doesn't say "the data collected here is used for this reason").
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Boards.ie: Declan

Hi Khannie -

Just to be clear, we haven't added any additional cookies to the site, just modified the text based on a change in how Google Ads are served.

The additional text was 'We also may use data from Google's Interest-based advertising or 3rd-party audience data (such as age, gender, and interests) with Google Analytics. At no time will we use this information to identify specific users or track personal information. You can opt-out of Google's Interest-based advertising here: https://www.google.com/settings/ads'

The change we made was to make users aware that they are served ads based on the preferences they might have selected in their Google account. If you wish you can opt-out of having these ads shown to you can do so here: https://www.google.com/settings/ads

The other data we collect is mainly to monitor user behaviour on the site. We use this so we can see how the site is doing and help us plan any future changes. We can't stress enough that under no circumstances do we use Cookies to track users personal information.

We are open and honest about our use of Cookies, which is why we are upfront with the information. We certainly wouldnt be using Cookies any more than other sites, but our own policy is to be completely up front about this at all times.

Hope this helps

Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 83,119 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was expecting this to be about an announcement for free cookies.

Soooooo pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Khannie wrote: »
    Thanks Declan.

+1 - those setting must have bypassed me on a day where I was short on chocolate. However having the links above to simply Opt out to both is great - cheers guys.

Advertisement