Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cancel eircom & move to VF?

Options
  • 28-03-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

I have eircom landline & BB. Fibre coming to the area & looking to move to VF as they are a lot cheaper for the same basic service. however, I cannot get a straight answer from anyone on how I go about cancelling an eircom account & moving over to vodafone without incurring some €25 fee imposed by eircom ( something about a 30 day notice period)

I am out of contract so am , I think, on some sort of 30 day rolling contract - how do I give notice, not incur the fee and then move over to VF seamlessly? Last time i did this eircom claimed not to have received letters / emails etc......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Apply to Vodafone & they will look after the transfer from Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

yes, that makes sense, but how do i not get / avoid  hit with the fee from eircom for not giving them enough notice as I'm sure VF will make the switch pretty quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Yeah get VF to do it. Theres a thread on here somewhere where the OP cancelled eircom and tried to move to VF but eircom deactivated the line as well. Turned in to a night mare for them

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

They both use this method of making you give a months notice even though you are out of contract and there is very little that you can do but hope that it takes a month from the time that Vodafone take over to actually transfer to them.
    There should be clearer options for people and Comreg should step in and stop this nonsense of people being charged  twice for the same thing i.e.  paying both for your next month.

I would suggest that Comreg should ensure that your line is not taken over until your new provider gives you the Final Bill from your previous provider and show that it has been paid in full and your month starts from the dates of agreement with you and your previous provider

Hugh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

BigGeorge wrote: »
    yes, that makes sense, but how do i not get / avoid  hit with the fee from eircom for not giving them enough notice as I'm sure VF will make the switch pretty quick
    Eircom have been hauled over the coals by Comreg for charging exit fees from customers like you. They have been told not to charge & I don't know for sure if they have complied. To make sure they don't penalise you, you could cancel any direct debits after you have paid the current month. Remember you are paying in advance for the service, so what you pay in March is for a period ending in April. Vodafone do not charge an exit fee if you are out of contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

Eircom have been hauled over the coals by Comreg for charging exit fees from customers like you. They have been told not to charge & I don't know for sure if they have complied. To make sure they don't penalise you, you could cancel any direct debits after you have paid the current month. Remember you are paying in advance for the service, so what you pay in March is for a period ending in April. Vodafone do not charge an exit fee if you are out of contract.
    But you must give them a months notice to cancel, otherwise you will get legal letters that will charge you for the costs as well as the amount owed.
    They both do not comply with the Com Reg ruling and Comreg say that we should have read our t's and c's before changing, but all in the while they have the upper hand as if you cancel and wait for a month for the notice you will find your line and number gone and then you can't change over without it.
    You will end up paying them unless you can call and get the charge cancelled.
    They are all in it for the money and do not care about the customer, unless you are a customer of the opposition

Hugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Don't worry about it: http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/news/2013/12/13/comreg-rules-against-eircom/

If they charge you, tell Comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I have eircom landline & BB. Fibre coming to the area & looking to move to VF as they are a lot cheaper for the same basic service. however, I cannot get a straight answer from anyone on how I go about cancelling an eircom account & moving over to vodafone without incurring some €25 fee imposed by eircom ( something about a 30 day notice period)

I am out of contract so am , I think, on some sort of 30 day rolling contract - how do I give notice, not incur the fee and then move over to VF seamlessly? Last time i did this eircom claimed not to have received letters / emails etc......

Hi BigGeorge

I can confirm that a 30 day notice period of intention to change supplier is required. The first step required is to contact the cancellations department on free phone 1901 and then they will instruct you on how to give written confirmation. When 30 days have passed from the date the confirmation is received you will then be free to contact the other provider to instruct them to begin the process of witching your service.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Hi BigGeorge

I can confirm that a 30 day notice period of intention to change supplier is required. The first step required is to contact the cancellations department on free phone 1901 and then they will instruct you on how to give written confirmation. When 30 days have passed from the date the confirmation is received you will then be free to contact the other provider to instruct them to begin the process of witching your service.

Thanks

Al
    Does the comreg ruling referred to by OneEightSeven not make a liar of you Alan - there is no need for an out of contract customer to give one months notice?
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]According to the ruling published on the regulator’s website earlier this month,[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]eircom is no longer allowed to require customers whose contract has expired to give one month notice of cancellation or else pay a penalty.
    [/font]

Hi BigGeorge

Thanks

Al
    Does the comreg ruling referred to by OneEightSeven not make a liar of you Alan - there is no need for an out of contract customer to give one months notice?
    [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]According to the ruling published on the regulator’s website earlier this month,[/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]eircom is no longer allowed to require customers whose contract has expired to give one month notice of cancellation or else pay a penalty.[/font]
    Hi jaggiebunnet

I'm aware of comregs position however I can confirm that the process I have detailed above is still in place.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 joeconway

I cancelled landline phone and broadband with Eircom on September 3rd last year.
    Every month since then I have received a bill for Broadband and every month I have spent hours on to their laughable named 'Customer Service team' - each month they assure me that the problem is fixed - and every month a new bill arrives.
    In January I got a letter telling me that I have been disconnected for not paying the account. But guess what - they continue to bill me.
    It would be laughable if it wasn't so annoying.
    Incompetent doesn't begin to describe this organisation and its staff.

joeconway wrote: »

I cancelled landline phone and broadband with Eircom on September 3rd last year.
    Every month since then I have received a bill for Broadband and every month I have spent hours on to their laughable named 'Customer Service team' - each month they assure me that the problem is fixed - and every month a new bill arrives.
    In January I got a letter telling me that I have been disconnected for not paying the account. But guess what - they continue to bill me.
    It would be laughable if it wasn't so annoying.
    Incompetent doesn't begin to describe this organisation and its staff.
    Hi joeconway

I'm sorry to hear this and apologise for the inconvenience this is causing. Can you please PM me the eircom account number associated with the account and I'll look in top this further for you.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bredacq

Hi jaggiebunnet

I'm aware of comregs position however I can confirm that the process I have detailed above is still in place.

Thanks
    Al
    So Alan?

Eircom are aware of Comreg's rules but choose to ignore them ! Is that what you are saying???

I have lived in many countries and dealt with many companies' customer service areas, but there is not one that I have dealt with that are as appaling and outrageous as Eircom (who are in my home country of Ireland).

I am currently trying to switch away from Eircom, and not beacuse their Broadband is slow or they have they most expensive packages, no it's because of their shambles of customer service and the constant lies that I am told by their representatives.  They tell me that I am still in contract (when I know that I have never given permission to anyone from Eircom to put me into contract), then they tell me "Oh no, sorry there's a note on your account that says you got a promotion but youare not in contract.  If the other reps went further into the notes on your acct they would have seen that you are not in contract"

Then they tell me that I have to mail them written confirmation of 30 days notice of my intention to switch provider.  To an address which is  
    Notifications to Cancel Service,

Save Desk, 3rd Floor,

Telephone House,

Marlboro St.,

[font=Times New Roman", "serif]Dublin

I actually said to her, "Is this a joke? Am I being punked?"

I then find out today that they are not allowed by Comreg to ask providers to provide 30 days notice of cancellation (apparently Eircom have been 'slapped on the wrist' and fined in Jan of this year for doing this).  To make matters worst if the customer does send them 30 days cancellation notice (which they demand when you tell them that you are switching provider whether or not you are still in contract I was told by an Eircom rep) Eircom then cut off your line and Broadband and the new provider will then have to give them a brand new telephone number.

Today is Good Friday so Comreg are closed but I am getting onto them first thing Tuesday morning and making a complaint about Eircom and ask for advice about what I should do.  
    I suggest anyone else with a problem does the same.  You will find their contact details on their website askcomreg.ie   

[/font]

Advertisement