Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance for house under construction

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

rumar wrote: »
    Make sure before you get a policy that you can swap it to ordinary home insurance once the house is finished. Is the house built or partially built? You'll need to get a copy of the builders insurance for the bank if you're mortgaging the build. If you need to get the full whack insurance it'll cost you about €2k and is non transferrable (anywhere I called) and they won't give you a policy if you've already started the work.

its built / sealed and second fixed. Just needs finishing works

im mortgaging some of the works - bank didnt mention anything about builders insurance but that shouldnt be an issue. We dont need the full self build as its a builder thats running the job and its only finishing works required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

insuremyhouse.ie declined because its not a new build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

mickman wrote: »
    great thanks. Yeah ours is teh same. costing 250 and have to insure for 310. I believe if i were project managing the whole thing and was hiring and firing hte contractors then i would need self build and my own public liability insurance but im handing it over to the builder to finish. Our finishing work will only take 2 months so hopefully they can change over the policy after that time and not make us lose 10 months of money

Check the builder's insurance carefully. Do not just accept his word that he has the right cover and if the build goes past his renewal date, ask for confirmation of renewal.

Advertisement