Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent Tactics

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭twogunkid

I thank you all for your replys.
    I am Irish --agus ta gailge agamsa etc.
    The advertised price--the price-is it not a statement of fact ?
    Obviously not as the property is now over the advertised price
    I assume this ad is in contravention of advertising standards which state ad must be
    HONEST-LEGAL-DECENT-TRUTHFUL
    THe prai website ( legal body governing estate agents ) states
    Property Services Providers should not publish or cause to be published any material or advertisements that are false, misleading or dishonest. Any advertising material must take notice of advertising codes as well as consumer legislation.Residential Property Price Register - Home Page

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie
    Estate agents have privately disclosed that a price may be low in order to stimulate intrest in a property. They might have no intention of closing at the advertised price.
    They will continue to get away with it as long as well connected college chums in legal and political circles influence legislation.
    There is a fire lighting in the property market that estate agents are fuelling.
    Anyway is there any objection or obvious procedural flaw i might use to query the procedures in this sale.
    Once again thank you for your contribuutions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

twogunkid wrote: »
    I thank you all for your replys.
    I am Irish --agus ta gailge agamsa etc.
    The advertised price--the price-is it not a statement of fact ?
    Obviously not as the property is now over the advertised price
    I assume this ad is in contravention of advertising standards which state ad must be
    HONEST-LEGAL-DECENT-TRUTHFUL
    Property Services Providers should not publish or cause to be published any material or advertisements that are false, misleading or dishonest. Any advertising material must take notice of advertising codes as well as consumer legislation.Residential Property Price Register - Home Page

Estate agents have privately disclosed that a price may be low in order to stimulate intrest in a property. They might have no intention of closing at the advertised price.
    They will continue to get away with it as long as well connected college chums in legal and political circles influence legislation.
    There is a fire lighting in the property market that estate agents are fuelling.
    Anyway is there any objection or obvious procedural flaw i might use to query the procedures in this sale.
    Once again thank you for your contribuutions

No, it is not a statement of fact. It is an invitation to treat. The displaying of prices on property is not covered under the laws that dictate how prices must be displayed in shops, bars etc. These houses are sold via auction (which are exempted) and the list price is not a final price.

If you think the estate agent is messing you around claiming phantom bidders then put in your final bid at a price you are willing to pay for the property and state it is your final bid - you should be prepared to walk away if the agent tells you there are bids in excess of this.

No, it is not a statement of fact. It is an invitation to treat. The displaying of prices on property is not covered under the laws that dictate how prices must be displayed in shops, bars etc. These houses are sold via auction (which are exempted) and the list price is not a final price.

Thanks for enlightening me--are you saying that all houses on a estate agents site are effictevaly sold via auction ?
    Confusion arises as this house has a price stated.
    Other houses have a € figure with the words asking price

Thanks for enlightening me--are you saying that all houses on a estate agents site are effictevaly sold via auction ?
    Confusion arises as this house has a price stated.
    Other houses have a € figure with the words asking price

Yes, all house sales are effectively auctions and auctions are specifically exempted from the price display laws. The price is merely an asking price and there is no contract formed when you offer it.

Well--is there ammo here ?

• Advertisement

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

You're barking up the wrong tree here, twogunkid

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

No there is no ammunition there, the asking price (as others have pointed out) is merely "an invitation to treat," it is often referred to as a guide price and as such is not a fact and thus cannot be dishonest. Dishonesty would be advertising a house as having 4 bedrooms and 30 metre back garden when in fact it has 2 bedrooms and the back garden is only 10 metres long.

You should consider nothing in the agent's brochure or advertisement to be fact. Furthermore the contract for sale of the house will most likely contain a clause that states that none of the measurements, representations or similar made by the agent are part of the contract and cannot be sued upon.

Truthfully the process isn't really an auction either as the seller is not obliged to accept the highest offer. there is nothing to prevent the seller from rejecting your offer for no reason and then selling to someone else for an amount below the asking price.

Advertisement