Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From Gijón to Rosslare?

• 28-03-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I am bringing a bike from Spain. Will ride it to Gijón (northern Spain) and from there on the ferry to Saint Nazare. Then wait for 10 hours and then another ferry to Rosslare. 2 ferrys 48 hours. Anyone has done it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭philgunn

about 80 euro for a bike and passenger from Gijon to StNazaire , you might find it cheaper to then go by bike to Cherbourge and to Ireland by Irish Ferries or Celtic Link Ferries / Stena line I find them cheaper than LD lines

Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

Definitely cheaper and a lot longer: 1,547 kms to Cherbourg. 15 hours. Would have to do it over 2 days and stay somewhere on the way. Will fit a wind screen and a box on the ER 6N for the trip. Any advice for the trip? Thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

LD Lines are good. Helpful service and good value. I've used them many times cross-channel but not this R - St N - G route, yet.

I think the previous post by Phil was suggesting you ride St N to Cherbourg. Personally, I'd consider that too.
    I don't mind the long sailing times. I've found 36hr can fly by - as long as I have a bunk\cabin. It's the 10 hours waiting in port sounds tedious.

Michelin Maps says St N to Cherbourg is 214 miles, 344 km on the m-way route. But there are some great D roads to tempt you instead. Nice break from the towering Biscay seas and oppressive smell of diesel. (joke!)

I suppose you know Roscoff - much closer than Cherbourg - offers ferry connections to IRL too. Not as cheap though.

Riding from St Nazaire to Cherbourg or Roscoff is a bad option unless you want to spend a couple of days in France. I think I will either hack the 48 hours or ride all the way to Cherbourg over 2 days but the first option sounds better. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You've just bought a new bike - why wouldn't you leap at the chance to ride it as much as possible?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

I would love to do it. It would be a bit of an adventure to ride 1,500 kilometres to Cherbourg but I would not be sure how to put it to my wife at home...

Advertisement