Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing a double bed in Dublin 1, is this a joke?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

bladebrew wrote: »
    This ad has been posted on Daft, Broadsheet have it up aswell.
    http://www.daft.ie/sharing/dorset-street-dublin-1-dublin/759160/
    Is this a joke, please tell me it is, is anyone desperate enough to share a bed! How much is it to post an ad on Daft? So many questions!

The rent is cheap enough.....only 150 yoyos. Still a bit awks, don't know if I could share a double bed with a complete stranger outside a one night stand situation.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

bladebrew wrote: »
    This ad has been posted on Daft, Broadsheet have it up aswell.
    http://www.daft.ie/sharing/dorset-street-dublin-1-dublin/759160/
    Is this a joke, please tell me it is, is anyone desperate enough to share a bed! How much is it to post an ad on Daft? So many questions!

These ads were all too common during the bubble days.

The question is whether living 6 to a flat is normal and the last 5 years when renting on your own was affordable was simply an aberration, or whether we are back into another crazy period of dublin property prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Sharing a bed with paying customers by the look of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hah, my grown sons won't share a double bed.
    For the sake of 150e pm the advertiser could have the room to themselves- a fiver a day to have ones own space would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

pics of bedmate or GTFO! I might even be prepared to pay more than E150! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well that's one way to get a gf, if you're desperate!

Though still only 300pcm for a double room ... must be in a dodgy part of town, too :-)

Well that's one way to get a gf, if you're desperate!

Though still only 300pcm for a double room ... must be in a dodgy part of town, too :-)

I better check with the current gf! 3 in a bed may be one too many, 100 pcm sure is tempting though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Idbatterim wrote: »
    pics of bedmate or GTFO! I might even be prepared to pay more than E150! :D
    Folks, constructive posts only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

These ads were all too common during the bubble days.

The question is whether living 6 to a flat is normal and the last 5 years when renting on your own was affordable was simply an aberration, or whether we are back into another crazy period of dublin property prices.

I wouldnt be into it myself, but I have seen it done in the past. Someone rents a house and packs as many people as they can into it. Ive even seen people sleeping in beds under the stairs to save on rent.

There will be regulation for this soon too, such as max amount of people per room or square footage. Pushing rents up again, because those who this suited and were happy to live this way for the cheaper rent must now go out and rent another place

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I remember places like this from the student days (those days not being in Dublin) - big houses of 12+ with makeshift loft beds built in the hallway etc. That was before it was common to advertise on the net though so those living there would probably already be or have friends in common - getting complete randomers in is asking for trouble surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I thought I had read about it before on here alright!, I assumed the price of advertising on Daft would deter any joke ads, it was bad enough house sharing with strangers but sharing a bed is insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Out of curiosity, why would (or do) the landlords allow this arrangement?

They would presumably be getting the same rental income on the property as if renting normally -> but with much more wear and tear, damage to walls, paint, appliances and furniture etc.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Much more common with 'foreigners' than you might think...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Jaybor

coolemon wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why would (or do) the landlords allow this arrangement?

They would presumably be getting the same rental income on the property as if renting normally -> but with much more wear and tear, damage to walls, paint, appliances and furniture etc.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Im sure the landlords wouldnt allow it if they knew about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

There was a similar add posted a couple of weeks back, this was for a shared studio flat, one gets the sofa and the other tenant could have the bed. The studio was on Love lane and considering you have to pay for the advert I reckon the poster was serious.

all joking and tomfoolery aside, would they not put in two singles?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I remember places like this from the student days (those days not being in Dublin) - big houses of 12+ with makeshift loft beds built in the hallway etc. That was before it was common to advertise on the net though so those living there would probably already be or have friends in common - getting complete randomers in is asking for trouble surely.

I think maynooth landlords actually have turned this into an art, from my student days I remember seeing 3 bed houses turned into 10-12 bed's. The best one I saw was a 2 bedroom terraced house turned into effectively a hostel with the living room having 3 sets of bunk beds and 2 bedrooms having 2 sets of bunk-beds a piece . 14 people sharing 1 bathroom and a kitchenette and the 'living room' being a wooden garden shed with 2 old couches and a 14" tv out the back. total rent for the property was coming to 2800 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I think maynooth landlords actually have turned this into an art, from my student days I remember seeing 3 bed houses turned into 10-12 bed's. The best one I saw was a 2 bedroom terraced house turned into effectively a hostel with the living room having 3 sets of bunk beds and 2 bedrooms having 2 sets of bunk-beds a piece . 14 people sharing 1 bathroom and a kitchenette and the 'living room' being a wooden garden shed with 2 old couches and a 14" tv out the back. total rent for the property was coming to 2800 a month.

You would need to be bat**** crazy to agree to that. You would be better off sleeping in your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You would need to be bat**** crazy to agree to that. You would be better off sleeping in your car.

9 months of the year you are 100% guaranteed to be able to rent out anything in maynooth , 200 a month would be cheap for any sort of sleeping space there, landlords know this and most of them take full advantage of any space they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

9 months of the year you are 100% guaranteed to be able to rent out anything in maynooth , 200 a month would be cheap for any sort of sleeping space there, landlords know this and most of them take full advantage of any space they can.

Seen some pretty crazy setups in Santry near DCU but nothing as far out as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Definitely couldn't share a bed with a stranger. What grown adult could? You would want to be very, very desperate.

Though at the moment, my BF and I looking for a new place to rent in Dublin and are considering finding another couple to share a house with. Partly to save on rent, but also because we are seriously afraid we won't find anywhere, there is such demand at the moment. Might work out OK, might be a disaster, I don't know!

Oh, and that ad IS in a less-than-salubrious part of town.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    all joking and tomfoolery aside, would they not put in two singles?!

Yeah! You could put the rent to 200 a month or something to cover the cost of the beds and it would still be very reasonable. There are a few colleges in the area - Pat's, DIT Bolton Street, Mater Dei - so it could suit two first year students very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm trying to figure out if "Jamie B" is a man or woman, considering they want "females only".

You'd also wonder how big the duvet is. Too small, and one will be cold.

Though at the moment, my BF and I looking for a new place to rent in Dublin and are considering finding another couple to share a house with. Partly to save on rent, but also because we are seriously afraid we won't find anywhere, there is such demand at the moment.

OK, we have since found there is massive demand even for house-shares with couples!

Advertisement