Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hillcrest / Glasnevin Park Residents

Options
  • 28-03-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭

I know it's a bit of a long shot but does anyone know why there is now around the clock 24 hour full time Uniformed Garda presence around both estates ? A car is always to be found at the junction of both estates and foot patrols around both with the focus on Glasnevin Park.. Just seems very weird.. Very quiet areas so a bit bemused...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Possibly some politician/criminal lives there?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

ha ha ha clue ? nothing to see here move along,and not a crimnal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Perhaps its a follow up on the shooting that took place there previously?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0826/470326-glasnevin-shooting/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

moxin wrote: »
    Perhaps its a follow up on the shooting that took place there previously?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0826/470326-glasnevin-shooting/

Unlikely I'd say. The actually shooting took place on Glasnevin Avenue and they just found the shooter who injured himself in Hillcrest. Funnily enough only a few footsteps from where the cops are hanging out now but idmnot see why they would be related after all this time. Just weird

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

So are you going to enlighten us with your knowledge?Hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Probably someone important living in one of the houses. I live near Martin Callinan and there was always at least one Garda near his house.

Heard it was due to a spate of robberies in the areas. Spoke with neighbors who had been affected and there have been car wheels stolen as well as licence plates and a few break ins. Apparently the work of Ireland's favorite indigenous minority group. Lots of their vans seen scouring the estate over the last while and neighborhood watch were in touch for people to take down van regs etc. and report anything suspicious. Good to see the Guards being so proactive also and visible they get a lot of flack especially recently and rightly so but credit where it is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 duffers83

Strumms wrote: »
    Heard it was due to a spate of robberies in the areas. Spoke with neighbors who had been affected and there have been car wheels stolen as well as licence plates and a few break ins. Apparently the work of Ireland's favorite indigenous minority group. Lots of their vans seen scouring the estate over the last while and neighborhood watch were in touch for people to take down van regs etc. and report anything suspicious. Good to see the Guards being so proactive also and visible they get a lot of flack especially recently and rightly so but credit where it is due.

It's nothing to do with any robberies. The stand in garda commissioner lives on the road. There has been no spate of robberies in the area and anyone from the area knows why they garda have been around

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

duffer ,,you have it in one its not rocket science to know who lives in your area,and we do not have a watch in the area

I have subsequently found out that you are correct and I was misinformed about the purpose of their presence. Either way, it is good news to have that presence around as a deterrent for crime in general. As regards robberies. If you base it over the last 12 months I know several people first hand who were burgled, one family twice and the family who had their plate stolen the other week.... This was used on another car in the course of stealing petrol the following day. Also we had a visitor who's wheel was stolen from her car just before Christmas outside our front door. I guess it depends on your definition of 'spate'. Also as regards to the rocket science comment.... Just between Hillcrest and Glasnevin Park ..at I guess there would be around 450 plus houses so may I be excused if I don't know exactly everyone and their occupation even if they would have a minor notoriety for those who take a certain interest in that direction...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Was over there a lot last week with my niece. Her driving test was on Monday, so we wanted to practice on the roads behind the Autobahn, that are popular routes for the driving test. I couldn't get over the Gardai presence in the area. Every single evening, there were a least a couple of them on foot patrol. More often than not, a squad car was parked near by too. We also saw some cars that were turning from Glasnevin Ave into Glasnevin Dr, being stopped by the Guards. None of this kind of carry on was going on in the Willow Park housing estates on the other side of Glasnevin Avenue, so its definitely specific to Hillcrest.

Advertisement