Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not really a problem, more of a dilemma

Options
  • 29-03-2014 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice.

I am an experienced qualified legal secretary. I have previous civil service experience (3 years). I am currently working in a law firm and I am not happy due to a number of a reasons but none of them relate to the actual work I do on a daily basis.

I am in the final stages of possibly being recruited back into the civil service. The pay is €2k less than what I am now (yearly increments though) but I don't mind because there is flexi time and a much better work life balance on offer and I have realised I do not want to make my job my life anymore, I do want work life balance. However, I have been headhunted by a recruiter who thinks I would be perfect for a position in a top law firm which has excellent benefits etc and the salary is €12k more than what I am on now. The position is contract but very very likely to become permanent.

My dilemma is, do I stick with the permanent job (should I get it) in the civil service with flexi time and a great work life balance or do I follow my career path and take a risk with the legal role but reap great benefits in the meantime?

Would really appreciate an outside perspective on it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Monife wrote: »

take a risk with the legal role but reap great benefits in the meantime?

Me thinks your this is really what you want to do ,just need a slight push..Go for it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Recently, I decided to take a pay cut to have a more laid back lifestyle. I'm earning about 800e less a month than i could be elsewhere.

It was a bit of a mistake because it hasn't turned out to be what it is supposed to be. It's not as stressful as the better paid job but still not a walk in the park. there is still stress and BS from management. I'd rather be taking home 9000euro a year more for the extra stress.

What i'm trying to say is that money cushions the BS of a job a lot. I'm also stuck thinking...why did i choose this job when i could be earning more.

However, i think it's a personal decision. Only you know how much of a motivating factor money is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What i'm trying to say is that money cushions the BS of a job a lot. I'm also stuck thinking...why did i choose this job when i could be earning more.

This.

Money may not make you happy, but it makes unhappiness a lot easier to bear. Even just little things like affording a taxi if you sleep in or your car breaks down.

Also, I've been in lower-paid jobs that were day-to-day stressful every single day, which I actually found was worse than the periodic stress of project deadlines.

YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

The civil service is not (in general) a pleasant place to work these days, demoralised and battered. The moratorium, pay cuts and general anti civil service feeling in the populace has taken its toll. I would go for the higher paid private sector position if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

Unfortunately law firms are very tough to work in at the moment too. Huge amount of stress, very target driven, long hours, no flexi time, basic holidays. Depends on the firm, but likely no pension, basic maternity leave and no top up on maternity benefit etc etc It depends on your stage of life, if you expect to have children in the next few years, a law firm will not be an easy environment to maintain a career in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

On the flipside I started working in public sector recently.

I love the lack of pressure. I love sleeping easily every night. I love leaving the office every day at 5:00. I love flexi time. I love not thinking about work on holidays or at the weekend. I'd like to be earning more but i prefer the lack of pressure/stress in my life.

It depends on the type of person you are really - some people can take pressure/stress no problem and react well to it. Others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Well, by way of an update, the recruiter was an absolute spoofer! I found out the position is actually a 6 month contract with a view to becoming permanent and when I met with her she tried to push me into a float Legal Secretary position in a completely different firm. Really unpleasant experience.

I agree with irishguy1983, I think I would prefer flexi time, relaxed atmosphere and leaving your work when you clock off. I end up mentally bringing my job home all the time and it is impacting on my personal life. I don't think money is worth it anymore.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Monife wrote: »
    Well, by way of an update, the recruiter was an absolute spoofer! I found out the position is actually a 6 month contract with a view to becoming permanent and when I met with her she tried to push me into a float Legal Secretary position in a completely different firm. Really unpleasant experience.

I agree with irishguy1983, I think I would prefer flexi time, relaxed atmosphere and leaving your work when you clock off. I end up mentally bringing my job home all the time and it is impacting on my personal life. I don't think money is worth it anymore.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm always right :) Nah i really think it just depends on the type of person you are - some people are great with pressure/doesn't bother them. I was invited to an interview myself yesterday with a finanical services American multinational - I'd like the job but I just know it wouldn't be for me and the stress/long hours would have a serious impact on my mental health. Unfortunately I'll just have to leave it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

it's not always about money.

It should be about enjoyment of work/life.

Which job can provide that more?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i was a legal secretary, left 7 years ago and took a job in a government agency. i took a 8k pay drop.

it was the best decision i made, flexi time, extra holidays and a much better work home life balance,

yes, at the moment, everyone is completely battered and broken from paycuts, increased work loads. the moral is through the floor BUT i have mates still in legal who are going through the same.

the flexibility is worth more than anything else

• Advertisement
Advertisement