Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avast warnings on Macbook Pro

Options
  • 29-03-2014 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have a Macbook pro and use free Avast Antivirus. When the scan completes I get the following details.
    _____
    Infection Details:

Path:Applications/iDVD.app/Content/Resources/205_Family_thmb.tif
    Files with warnings in archive:1.
    Error 42120 ARJ archive is corrupt

Path: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MediaKit.framework/Versions/A/Loaders/MKDrivers.bundle/Contents/Resources
    Files with warnings in archive:1.
    Error 42110 The file is a decompression bomb.
    _________

Does anyone know how I can fix these issues so I dont get the warninngs again? I cant fix them with Avast

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I'm not familiar with Mac's but in Windows you can get Avast to do a 'boot time scan', which should reboot the system and scan more thoroughly. In Windows at least you can open the interface for Avast, and select from a drop down menu different types of scans to execute.

EDIT: Having a look about it seems the issue is a false positive, and nothing to be concerned about.
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=129064.0
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=l8hml8ll4vnakdq5cme02jtk07&topic=99361.0
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=90686.0
    decompression bomb is just something that unpacks to an unusually big amount of data even though it's rather small (i.e. has a high compression ratio, for example). It's nothing to worry about, you are just informed that avast! will not try to unpack the archive (you may not even know that it's an archive, but it seems like it is) because it may take VERY long to process.
    As for the corrupt archive, it was probably caused by a power outage or some interruption to the system. It probably can't be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

You could fix it by getting rid of Avast. Not necessary on a Mac as there are no Virii in the wild.

Mac OS X has it's own built in protection to defend against Malware - of which there are a few, mostly Flash and Java exploits. It's called XProtect and is regularly updated by Apple. That coupled with switching on your Firewall should be all you need.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

you do not need to fix anything,, what you need to do in get rid of Avast, you do not need it on your Macbook.... I have a late 2009 iMac and i have never installed any type of antivirus, malware or any other thing of the sirt. Why? well becuase you do not need it as mentioned by Zener

Advertisement