Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Signal

• 29-03-2014 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

Didn't see any post of this. Looks interesting.

What has me intrigued most is the haunting trailer music.

Comments

Been looking forward to this since it was first announced. William Eubank is one of the most interesting directors around, his first film Love which he financed himself and shot on a space ship he built in his patents back garden is an extraordinary work if cinema. One of the most visually inventive and aesthetically beautiful films you are ever likely to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Looks interesting. Also liked William Eubank's Love. Powerful visual style.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 czechpeter

Did anyone end up seeing this and is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

czechpeter wrote: »

Watched it about two months ago. It's OK but not great. It's one of these smallish scifi films that we've seen a lot of over the past number of years - films I usually like eg Primer, Time Lapse, Ex Machina, The Machine, Predestination etc. This didn't really hook me and towards the final act I was impatiently waiting for it to finish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

czechpeter wrote: »

Watched it some time ago; posted my thoughts elsewhere, so for what it's worth here's what I thought of it:

There's a thin line between a narrative being enigmatic and just plain withholding from the audience, and I wasn't quite sure where something like The Signal fell to be honest. As it stood, it started as a simple, down-to-earth road movie about three students taking a detour to locate a rogue hacker that had been plaguing their college. Things then took a turn for the weird and conspiratorial, and to say anymore would spoil too much; if nothing else it's definitely a film worth diving into as ignorant as possible. And while it never made any bones about ensuring the audience were in the dark 'til the last minute (and even then there was little really to go on beyond your own speculation) there were also moments where the film felt like it was being deliberately vague, idiosyncratic and withholding for no other reason than the fact that the writers could. That or there just wasn't the budget or script to develop events, but you can't keep piling mystery upon mystery and not eventually run out of road.

That said, there was a lot to admire all the same; the pacing at the start really matched the plot, with a lazy, languid tone that suited the notion of a roadtrip across the American desert. The three leads felt natural and 'ordinary' in a fashion that's depressingly rare when it comes to Hollywood's representation of teenagers. However, once the the roadtrip ended and the 'fi' became 'sci', the slow-moving pace worked against the film and simply added to my sense of frustration. The film needed a dire injection of pace imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Would agree with pixel's criticism there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Watched it a couple of weeks ago. Thought it pretty boring. The characters themselves were forgettable. Fishbourne does his usual thing. The end closes off why the things were the way they were. Forgettable movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Ageyev wrote: »
    Would agree with pixel's criticism there.

me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

There is tricking your audience and then there is cheating them, this film seems to do the latter with its overuse of red herrings that lead nowhere.

I think they could have taken the second half of the story in much more interesting directions. The final act left me with the feeling that the director was using it as an audition for a superhero film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

It's all build up with a disappointing and abrupt payoff.
    There was some brief excitment when he started running across the bridge a the end, but that only lasted a few seconds. When he breaks through there's a feeling of "is that it"? An ending ripped from Dark City

• Advertisement
Advertisement