Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple piece of advice on Melbourne nights out.

Options
  • 29-03-2014 8:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

If you are drunk do not talk to cops.

If you might be drunk don't talk to cops.

Do not debate the coppers if they say move on , just go.

The only result of not doing the above is a night in the cells and at best a 550 dollar fine.

I was out last night and the attempts of one of my countrymen to ignore the efforts of the local constabulary to send him on his way were embrassing. Lucky he had mates to assure the cop they would mind him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

While this is good advice, I don't think talking/arguing with the cops is the worst thing a drunk person can do on a night out. Having an argument with some other people can end a lot worse from what I have seen and heard about. A lot of young men around only looking for a reason to give someone a hiding and things can get very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Well said! I quickly learnt that the acceptable level of drunkeness in AU is a lot lower than the acceptable level of drunk in Ireland.

I've often heard Irish bemoan the fact they were kicked out or refused entry. Ask them were they drunk and the response is usually 'well yea I was drunk but I wasn't like drunk drunk'. Over here the one drunk is enough to get you kicked out.

Tips I learnt:
    #1 eating is not cheating particularly with a pie face on every corner

#2 neck a glass of water between each drink

#3 ask for a tall glass for shorts

#4 as above, do not talk to the police or bouncers unless stopped and questioned. Banter gets confused with drunk very easily over here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Good advice, I see lots of Irish/English guys messing with cops thinking they are like lads at home.

Even if you are (relatively) sober and respectful there are a lot of boof head, power trip cops over here, that will throw you in paddy wagon (no pun intended!) at drop of a hat.

I have never had trouble with law in my life but got shoved in chest and threatened with arrest by one of Brisbane's finest after the Lions game last year. My crime was walking with about 15,000 other supporters on the road (that had been closed to traffic until about 30 seconds before he singled me out). He went right into my face and shouted at me to move before shoving me, I was astounded by his behavior tbh. I could see how someone could easily lose their temper, I was close myself, but I supposed that's response he was looking for.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    there are a lot of boof head, power trip cops over here

I presume you are comparing to the guards at home?

If so, I have found with my dealing with the police here that they have all been polite, courteous, helpful and professional. I would much prefer to have to deal with an Australian cop over an Irish guard any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

s.c wrote: »

If so, I have found with my dealing with the police here that they have all been polite, courteous, helpful and professional. I would much prefer to have to deal with an Australian cop over an Irish guard any day.

Yeah, it's all down to personal experience I suppose and I was speaking based on my own experience over last 5ish years. The example I spoke about above and seeing a couple of Vic & NSW police really over the top aggro with people, often inflaming the situation, kind of tainted my opinion here. I suppose like most things, the minority of badly behaved people in any population stick out and we remember them.

I have also had positive experience with Vic police. I was knocked down by a car while cycling recently and the officer on scene was very good and took my bike to station while I was being taken to hospital and followed up with me. But tbh, as a respectful and law abiding citizen and given their job as public servants that's kind of what I expect from these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

s.c wrote: »

I would agree with this, people at home don't take the GS seriously. I find Police here grand and I actually know couple of Irish lads in NSW and WAPol, the NSW have now a zero tolerance to drunk ness if you put your hand on a cop you can expect 2 years.

You only have look at that idiot who punched the security outside the Kebab shop in Sydney, after 8 months he'll have an arse like a clowns pocket. It's only a matter of time before someone clocks a cop as they are only having a bit of 'craic'.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I would agree with this, people at home don't take the GS seriously. I find Police here grand and I actually know couple of Irish lads in NSW and WAPol, the NSW have now a zero tolerance to drunk ness if you put your hand on a cop you can expect 2 years.

You only have look at that idiot who punched the security outside the Kebab shop in Sydney, after 8 months he'll have an arse like a clowns pocket. It's only a matter of time before someone clocks a cop as they are only having a bit of 'craic'.

I think the respect of the public has a big influence on the attitude of the officer. Like in Australia, they know/assume they will get the respect they deserve whereas at home they fell like they need to stamp their authority by being assertive/rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Yes, Australian Police officers are such exemplars of civil rectitude.
    He said the number of police with convictions had risen almost 250 per cent since 2008, although police numbers had only increased 6 per cent.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/anger-as-number-of-criminals-recruited-to-nsw-police-increases-20140329-35pz2.html#ixzz2xMOHlPYn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

catbear wrote: »
    Yes, Australian Police officers are such exemplars of civil rectitude.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/anger-as-number-of-criminals-recruited-to-nsw-police-increases-20140329-35pz2.html#ixzz2xMOHlPYn

You have quoted a nsw article that does not mention the other 7 police forces.

But it does not make for good reading all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Zambia wrote: »
    You have quoted a nsw article that does not mention the other 7 police forces.
    I am not the one who introduced NSW police into this thread so I do wonder why you quote just me in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Moron cops both here and back home...just as there are nice ones here and back home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Simple piece of advice on Melbourne nights out. ..................

Maybe "Dont get Drunk" might be a good bit of advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

skippy2 wrote: »
    Simple piece of advice on Melbourne nights out. ..................

Maybe "Dont get Drunk" might be a good bit of advice

That's ridiculous talk.

Advertisement