Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant ignoring rent increase letters

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

chopper6 wrote: »
    Maybe the tenant's wages havnt increased in line with "market value".

What relevance does that have?

If he/she can't or won't pay, it should be "bye bye".

As others have stated, the OP isn't running a soup kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Why would that affect the ops business?
    If I want to buy a pair of jeans that are dearer now than three years ago can I say to the shopkeeper I'll pay you the price they were three years ago as I haven't had a pay rise?
    Not the shopkeepers problem and not the ops problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Renting is a business. If you don't like landlords charging BELOW market rate (which the op is doing), don't rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The OP isn't running a charity or providing social housing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

Renting is a business. If you don't like landlords charging BELOW market rate (which the op is doing), don't rent.
    Can the landlord charge the next tenent those rates? Give this tenent time to find a new place instead of ringing up and saying I'm upping the rent. Then if they don't pay the new rate, they're going to kick them out. It's really sickening what's going on. Rents are going crazy and people can't afford them. There's something seriously wrong with how things are run.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

ted1 wrote: »
    The OP isn't running a charity or providing social housing.
    I haven't read where the OP said they're allowing the tenant to stay for free. Can you point that out to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Op your tenant is probably on daft trying to figure out what his 850 will get him in todays 'market value'. If he's properly ignoring you he ain't gonna be paying any increases that's for sure. He'll probably move to some other hovel for 850 and that'll free you to gouge 1200 from some other family caught in the current housing mess. Everybody wins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Can the landlord charge the next tenent those rates? Give this tenent time to find a new place instead of ringing up and saying I'm upping the rent. Then if they don't pay the new rate, they're going to kick them out. It's really sickening what's going on. Rents are going crazy and people can't afford them. There's something seriously wrong with how things are run.

We live in a free market economy. People are allowed to charge whatever price they want for their goods and services. If people arent happy they can get their goods and services off someone for a cheaper price. This means that during the recession rents fell( I imagine if the government provided housing for everyone, rents would have increased during the recession).

We live in a country where the free market provides a majority of the accommodation. High rents ensure there is always enough supply. You can call landlords greedy and cruel. But without landlords there would be hundreds of thousands of people without housing in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

What type of property and what area is the property in thats going for €1200?

I haven't read where the OP said they're allowing the tenant to stay for free. Can you point that out to me?

Your looking for the landlord to provide discounted housing which charities and social housing does.

I never mentioned free either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Op this may be your house but its your tenants HOME!! €150 per month increase when you're not expecting it is a huge increase. I dont blame your tenant for ignoring you as I'd say they're scared of losing their home, also if you'd be happy with 950 per month why not put that down in the first place???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks this is a real life situation for the OP who is seeking constructive advice on the matter, not judgmental remarks from people.
    This is not a place to rant, attack the OP or any other landlords for their business practices or engage in soapboxing.

Any further posts that ignore this warning will incur warnings/infractions.

Morri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I'm not a landlord myself but in their defence, the people giving out about them don't know anything about their situation either. Maybe the OP is paying €1500 pm to the bank for a mortgage on the house and this increase will reduce the amount that they have to come up with every month? Maybe it's their only source of income? Maybe the tenant is a tight git who is rolling in it and can well afford the increase?

I've never EVER bought anything where the seller said to me "you look like you can't afford this so I'll drop the price" EVER. The world doesn't work like that. If we want more "affordable" rents the answer is to cut rent supplement and/or introduce rent caps. This is the function of government, not landlords.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

professore wrote: »
    I'm not a landlord myself but in their defence, the people giving out about them don't know anything about their situation either. Maybe the OP is paying €1500 pm to the bank for a mortgage on the house and this increase will reduce the amount that they have to come up with every month? Maybe it's their only source of income?

If they cant afford it they shouldn't have bought it.

Did anybody stop to think about the fact that investments can go down as well as up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If the tenant had an issue he should have tried to negotiate a lower price or ask for an extra month so they could find somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

If they cant afford it they shouldn't have bought it.

Did anybody stop to think about the fact that investments can go down as well as up?

There's no mention of the OP not being able to afford it however would the reverse not be true of the tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Shadylou wrote: »
    Op this may be your house but its your tenants HOME!! €150 per month increase when you're not expecting it is a huge increase. I dont blame your tenant for ignoring you as I'd say they're scared of losing their home, also if you'd be happy with 950 per month why not put that down in the first place???

Burying your head in the sand is just about the worst thing that they could do. If they dont like the increase then they need to deal with it like adults and either dispute it or discuss the issue and try and come to a compromise.

djimi wrote: »
    Burying your head in the sand is just about the worst thing that they could do. If they dont like the increase then they need to deal with it like adults and either dispute it or discuss the issue and try and come to a compromise.

I agree with you there but sometimes people aren't rational when it comes to their home. The op was happy enough to take that rent and it seemed to be enough for the past few years. Now all of a sudden they want more and are not taking into account a good tenant..

I agree with you there but sometimes people aren't rational when it comes to their home.

Well they need to grow up and get rational, because right now they stand to lose their home if they dont deal with the situation. Their rent is now in arrears, and the OP is entitled to issue a letter of arrears and after 14 days they can issue a notice of termination.

Well they need to grow up and get rational, because right now they stand to lose their home if they dont deal with the situation. Their rent is now in arrears, and the OP is entitled to issue a letter of arrears and after 14 days they can issue a notice of termination.

We both know how hard it is to evict a tenant....the op should cut their losses qnd stop being so greedy and appreciate the fact that they have a paying tenant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

We both know how hard it is to evict a tenant....the op should cut their losses qnd stop being so greedy and appreciate the fact that they have a paying tenant

Stop making insulting statements like this!

The OP is running a business. They are fully entitled to ask for the market rate rent. There is nothing greedy about this.

Stop making insulting statements like this!

But it is pure greed!! The op was happy with the rent prior to looking up daft and has made an increase based on this not taking into account the value of having a tenant who seems to pay on time

But it is pure greed!! The op was happy with the rent prior to looking up daft and has made an increase based on this not taking into account the value of having a tenant who seems to pay on time

Its not greed, its business. In no other business would people suggest that a business undercharge by €350 a month; I have absolutely no idea why some people seem to think that a landlord should be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Burying your head in the sand is actually a good tactic to avoid rent increases, if the landlord is unprofessional enough in his approach and the tenant scrupulous enough.

A rent increase can only take place, if the tenant actually receives the letter with the rent increase (to be correct, when the landlord can prove that the tenant has received the letter). By trying to negotiate a lower rent, he acknowledges to having received the letter. If he says nothing, the landlord has to sent the letter again (and maybe again, if he doesn't do it properly the second time).

On a more practical note OP.
    Do you really think the rent increase is worth your while? If you increase the rent your tenant will most likely move out and you would have costs with that from doing some repairs after the three year tenancy, having to find a new tenant and having time between new and old tenant without rent. You then have the added risk that you exchange a tenant you know (and which you know so far seemed to have been a good tenant, he was there 3 years after all), with a tenant you don't know and might turn out to be your tenant from hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I think you should read the op before you comment
    She is still after an increase going to charge the tenant well below market rate.
    While this seems silly to me she is being extremely generous to her tenant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

He is not on a lease. He is on a part 4. I asked him to start new lease too so he is on a lease.

Have you and the tennant signed a fixed term lease recently? I'm under the impression that if you've signed a new fixed term lease recently, wouldn't that have been considered the time of rent review and they'd be entitled to stay there under the limits of the lease at the set rate.

if you haven't resigned a lease in within the last 12 months, then by all means I'd suggest also going with sending another letter outlining a rent increase, matching other rents in the area and this time having it sent by registered post. If he continues underpaying after that, then issue notice of late payment etc and follow on from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

He is not on a lease. He is on a part 4. I asked him to start new lease too so he is on a lease. Rents have increased. What he paid 3 years ago is of no relevance to what market rates are now. I am actually entitled to have increased the rent once every year but didn't even though rents went up every year in the area.

Important detail as others have mentioned - did you re-sign a lease within the last 12 months?

If you did, you may not be entitled to increase the rent - the law allows for an annual review, but resigning a lease with the same rent can be viewed as a de-facto review. Which would make this increase within 12 months of the last review, and not allowed.

If there was no lease signed in the last 12 months, though, you should do as others have suggested and issue a notice of arrears, since he's 150 euro in arrears.

Hope it works out.

If the market rate dropped would the tenant continue paying over the odds? Or would they move or look for a discount?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

ted1 wrote: »
    If the market rate dropped would the tenant continue paying over the odds? Or would they move or look for a discount?

Most landlords cut their rents hugely during the recession. My parents cut a luxury 2 bed in Dublin CC from €1,700 a month to €1,200 in a year. They still are only getting €1,450 today.

But no one has mentioned how OP in the last 3 years has had to start paying NPPR tax and property tax on his apartment. He also has to pay PRSI on his rental income. Even with his €150 increase, he is still probably making the same amount of money as 3 years ago. But if he has a variable mortgage, his mortgage has nearly doubled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement