Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant ignoring rent increase letters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

chopper6 wrote: »
    That sort of mercenary thinking is what caused the property bubble...people lost the run of themselves in pursuit of a quick buck.

Hyperbole. Acting in a professional manner caused the bubble did it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

There is a lot of begrudgery in this thread.

Of course there is outside of dublin property prices have plummeted but rent has stayed the same and in some cases increased,Between the government and letting agents people are struggling to have homes in a country over saturated with property its utter lunacy!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Hyperbole. Acting in a professional manner caused the bubble did it?

Amateurs seeking short-term riches,yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Worksforyou

The landlords can look for a change as is their right, and as is the right of the tenant.

Did you forgot to reply to this?

Both tenants and landlords have equal opportunity to review rents.

I did answer. Both have equal opportunity but it's the landlords who take it in the majority of cases. If the landlord treats their tenants as human beings as has been said, then the tenant will not look for a decrease.

By the way, decreases in rent in some areas is something like from 600 to 550, while increases would be something like from 600 to 1,000.

Landlords who treat their tenants as human beings, with respect and fairness do very, very well. Landlords who don't do this are nearly always in a dispute over something involved with their tenants.

You can have respect and correct business conduct, they are not mutually exclusive. Landlords are perfectly entitled to request an upward rent review when the market changes, just like tenants can review it downwards when it drops.
    Amateurs seeking short-term riches,yes.

Which is not the case here, nor the case under discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Rent increases are the symptom not the disease. Failure to build in areas of demand is the cause of rent increases. When the population increases and the amount of available accommodation remains static, rent increases are inevitable. Instead of blaming landlords, people should look to the moron politicians they elect.

I did answer. Both have equal opportunity but it's the landlords who take it in the majority of cases. If the landlord treats their tenants as human beings as has been said, then the tenant will not look for a decrease.

By the way, decreases in rent in some areas is something like from 600 to 550, while increases would be something like from 600 to 1,000.

No, this is pure bull. Tenants will not suffer higher rents out of the goodness of their hearts. They will request a decrease or they will move out.

Rental deceases are in line with market value, as are rental increases. Thats how a market works.

No, this is pure bull. Tenants will not suffer higher rents out of the goodness of their hearts. They will request a decrease or they will move out.

Rental deceases are in line with market value, as are rental increases. Thats how a market works.

Never heard of a landlord decreasing rent once a tenant was in situ.

I've heard of them asking too much and then having to reduce it because nobody wanted to pay it.

Not the same thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ronjo

I've heard of them asking too much and then having to reduce it because nobody wanted to pay it.

I did it. In a different country mind you but my tenant, who is a good tenant asked for a decrease and I gave it to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They're dealing with people,not commodtities...if they can't see the difference they shouldnt be in the "industry".
    I find those that cannot see the business as a business, but as their house (esp the one that see it as their house) are fairly unprofessional.
    As the OP's issue is resolved i feel we can discuss this further,Bank's need to get tougher on landlords the property next door to me was left empty for 5 months as the owner would not accept rent allowance
    If the LL pays the mortgage, why would the bank care if the property was empty? Fix the RA system so that there are no "hiccups" whereby tenants stop getting RA because of a screw-up within the system itself, and you may get more LL's renting to RA tenants.
    I now live beside a group of 14 romanian gypsies i had to cancel my milk delivery as its suddenly started to go missing since they moved in
    How do you know they're from Romania? Do you know if the LL started to accept RA, and if the gypsies were on RA?
    Landlords who treat their tenants as human beings, with respect and fairness do very, very well. Landlords who don't do this are nearly always in a dispute over something involved with their tenants.
    Whilst renting, the professional acting landlords treated me with respect. The ones who didn't treat it as a business, but as "renting their house to people" tended to be usless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That sort of mercenary thinking is what caused the property bubble...people lost the run of themselves in pursuit of a quick buck.

BTL are no different,any change in lending policy for first time buyers(for example) or a Govt initiative to control rents/make NAMA properties available to rent will leave the amateur "landlords" high and dry.

The problem with teh irish mindset is they think "he's making more money than me,i better start screwing more rent out of MY tenants"...this is rack-renting,no more,no less and it WILL end in tears.

Cheap credit, and an uncontrolled market caused the bubble. The Govt choose not to act on it. The Govt increases costs with taxes, PRTB, costs, Property taxes, BER, and no real protection for LL's. They also increase the standards required and removed all the bedsits. Then you have the banks not letting people in trouble, (or wanting to change) sell out of their properties. Creating a load of unwilling LL's. Including Nama.

Its a no brainer that reduces supply and increases rents. You're only looking at the symptoms not the cause. The cause of all this is govt policy.

I've had my rent reduced after discussion with landlord due to falling market prices. Tenants not acting professional have only themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

LOL at posters taking the "big bad landlord/poor trod-upon tenant" stance. Any tenant with a bit of cop on would have sought a rent reduction (where appropriate) during the period when rents were falling over the last number of years. Our tenants asked for (and got) 3 rent reductions over the same number of years. If the tenant doesn't look for a rent review in those circumstances, they have no one but themselves to blame.

At the end of the day, rental properties are businesses for the landlord. Provided the LL is providing a safe and decent place to live, maintaining it appropriately and charging a market rent, then they are doing all they need to.

Someone said above that rentals are different because they are dealing with people. Every type of investment ultimately deals with people. My shares aren't going to pay me a higher dividend just because I need extra cash or my pension isn't performing as well as anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Calling bull on that. It happens all the time when rents are falling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

@The syco.

My brother and friend are landlords banks are very lenient on LL's once they believe the property will be occupied at some point.
    I know the current occupants are not on RA as a friend of mine was denied the property and my own landlord told me he was not accepting RA he knew this as they were friends.

Never heard of a landlord decreasing rent once a tenant was in situ...

You'd have to go back a couple of years when tents were falling.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69224215&postcount=4

beauf wrote: »
    You'd have to go back a couple of years when tents were falling.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69224215&postcount=4

Like i say,i personally never heard of it.

You have now. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

djimi wrote: »
    The OP is running a business. They are fully entitled to ask for the market rate rent. There is nothing greedy about this.

Increasing rent by 17.5% is nothing short of anything but greed.

Rents are rising in prime Dublin locations really only so unless this house is located there (which I doubt) then such a rise is wholly excessive.

• Advertisement

LOL at posters taking the "big bad landlord/poor trod-upon tenant" stance. Any tenant with a bit of cop on would have sought a rent reduction (where appropriate) during the period when rents were falling over the last number of years. Our tenants asked for (and got) 3 rent reductions over the same number of years. If the tenant doesn't look for a rent review in those circumstances, they have no one but themselves to blame.

At the end of the day, rental properties are businesses for the landlord. Provided the LL is providing a safe and decent place to live, maintaining it appropriately and charging a market rent, then they are doing all they need to.

Someone said above that rentals are different because they are dealing with people. Every type of investment ultimately deals with people. My shares aren't going to pay me a higher dividend just because I need extra cash or my pension isn't performing as well as anticipated.

LOL at the people taking the "landlords have it hard/tenants are out to get us" stance.
    As we can see from the situation in Dublin, rents reduced mimimally during the downturn and are increasing at a huge rate now even though many aren't seeing any upturn.
    Most of it's down to greed no matter what way landlords try to dress it up.

beauf wrote: »
    You have now. ;)

One post where a guy asks for a reduction and gets "not a massive reduction"

That has changed my outlook hugely.

Increasing rent by 17.5% is nothing short of anything but greed.

Underpaying rent by 17.5% is grand though?

I have received a reduction and a LL posted and confirmed 3 reductions. It doesn't really matter if you only know people too stupid to request a downward review, not everyone is blind to the market.

LOL at the people taking the "landlords have it hard/tenants are out to get us" stance.
    As we can see from the situation in Dublin, rents reduced mimimally during the downturn and are increasing at a huge rate now even though many aren't seeing any upturn.
    Most of it's down to greed no matter what way landlords try to dress it up.

Rents reduced to an amount people were willing to pay. If you don' like the rental market then feel free to jump into the joyous purchasing market and become a landlord yourself, sure they are all rolling in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

My rent went from 750 to 700 in 2010 and actually hasn't changed since then.

I have received a reduction and a LL posted and confirmed 3 reductions. It doesn't really matter if you only know people too stupid to request a downward review, not everyone is blind to the market.

That thread is 4 years old...the only reviews you see or hear of now are up,up up.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

I both gave and received rent reductions in the down years. Was renting a place with friends, 3 bed in Clontarf for 1800. This was reduced to 1650 after a year and then to 1550 a year later.

My own place was rented out for 850 and it was reduced to 775 a couple of years ago. The rent has stayed the same until now, I have just spoken to my tenants and informed them I will be increasing rent to 900.

You can see that as a massive increase - 16%, but to me its really only a 50 euro increase on the original lease. Also, market rates have 2 beds in the area for 1000-1100 so I have given a discount for my current tenants.

Rents reduced to an amount people were willing to pay. If you don' like the rental market then feel free to jump into the joyous purchasing market and become a landlord yourself, sure they are all rolling in it.

Rents reduced to the amount people had to pay! This was a small percentage below what was available before and now rents are increasing to an enormous rate because landlords have seen money signs flash before their eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Underpaying rent by 17.5% is grand though?
    If the OP is referencing Daft for rental prices then she is mistaken. There is often a large difference between the asking price and the one that rent is agreed on. Just because some loon has a similar property up for €1200 and its now let, doesn't mean the tenants are paying it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement